Sponsored by:

WHAMMY!! Clutch Accumulator/Vario Cam/Major Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WHAMMY!! Clutch Accumulator/Vario Cam/Major Service

Like to ask those that have already been down this road to give some personal experiences.
Story:
So I was going to take my car over for a major service after taking it on a short wkd trip. Haven't been able to run it much this yr for work/relocation issues- car is at the property for sale near NOLA-I'm in Houston. I put 20k in the first 2yrs I owned it and about 2k over the last yr. 07 with 38k

I was at the very end of my trip literally a few hundred yards after a 350 mile trip.

Early issue I got was a TPS not reading & the system then went out- worked on the way back. my tech said these last about 80 months or so.

Big issue is the entire car started to run like ****. got it flat bed to the dealership where I use to work w/ my buddy at another P-store so I feel like we are on a different level than service advisor and mystery ppl in the shop.

Luckily, the car wasn't throwing the "bad fault code" that is serious $$$.

Came back with a Vario Cam solenoid got stuck in the full open position so the left side of the engine couldn't fire properly. Issues with parts externally on the engine not internally. My buddy said he could save about 20hrs since he could do the change w/o removing the engine. Cost $904.86

Other issue- clutch accumulator $501.84 I've seen the price for the part on suncoast $136.92 not sure of the hrs to swap.

Major Service: $1,965 full monty - everything done including issues that are 2 yr intervals away so it's not brining back into the store.

Total $3,666.7 after tax

Curious what others have spent on similar items. I'd have to say everyone has to make money. The reason I got the car is bc my buddy can fix anything on a Porsche & has done countless things for me along the way. So it's a bit of--it is what it is although I am going to ask for an itemized list. I'll post it up.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

996 Turbo: New driver side radiator fan; new T-stat; new water pump; air cleaner and serpentine belt; oh, almost forgot: 2 front diff drive flange seals: $3900 and change. Before that a new spoiler: $2K. Before that a new power steering tank (to get a new valve the old one was squealing): $1000.

These are expensive cars to own and operate.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The Vario Solenoids are reasonably easy to change..You do have to remove bumper and heat shields etc..But they are right there staring at you. I would just go ahead and change them both (did on mine)...And may as well get plugs and coil packs while you are paying the labor to get in there. Plugs area B**** to get to....But the $900 labor is about right to do plugs and VarioCam Sol is right next to them.

DC
Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Good news - got a nice closing out the month discount to pay today vs friday. Porsche NOLA are doing it right in my book.

Originally Posted by Macster
996 Turbo: New driver side radiator fan; new T-stat; new water pump; air cleaner and serpentine belt; oh, almost forgot: 2 front diff drive flange seals: $3900 and change. Before that a new spoiler: $2K. Before that a new power steering tank (to get a new valve the old one was squealing): $1000.

These are expensive cars to own and operate.
When I was sorting 01/02 996TT for CPO in 2006 the avg seemed to be on the low end $3k-5k high. Did 2 at the same time from Porsche manheim so a customer could have a CPO turbo. The 2nd vehicle I got as a backup a local guy got and the rear spoiler went out 1 month after CPO ended. PCNA got it goodwill replaced.

Originally Posted by therock88
The Vario Solenoids are reasonably easy to change..You do have to remove bumper and heat shields etc..But they are right there staring at you. I would just go ahead and change them both (did on mine)...And may as well get plugs and coil packs while you are paying the labor to get in there. Plugs area B**** to get to....But the $900 labor is about right to do plugs and VarioCam Sol is right next to them.

DC
Yep- that's exactly what I was told .T he plugs are a bugger.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

DC, the solenoid on the cam cover next to the plugs activates the low lift/high lift intake tappets. The vario cam solenoids are mounted on top of the cam housing. It requires a special 32mm socket for removal.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Everything is working out great- with the nice 4 bones the service dept cut me I rolled that up and put 5 down on Drew & Da Boys last night -7.5 vs MIA. Really was nice for them to go and trim some fat- made sure to include the rear wiper & belt needed although a few dollars they already ran the numbers and put it in. Good service IMO - normally I just deal with my Tech 1-1 but this had to be run through the shop.

Lagniappe for the Turbo : Bought some red tail lamps from suncoastparts in the 4th qtr. buddy will slap them on for free.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:47 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
DC, the solenoid on the cam cover next to the plugs activates the low lift/high lift intake tappets. The vario cam solenoids are mounted on top of the cam housing. It requires a special 32mm socket for removal.
Thanks...My mistake. I was referring to the VarioCam Actuators...made an incorrect assumption that is what he was referring to.

DC
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'm curious why anyone would have their service done at a dealer.. A good indie can do exactly the same service at a huge price savings. MY dealer is now try to compete with my Indi just so I will bring the car to them.

If you look at what a a "major service" is the only time consuming item is the plugs.. Filters can be done yourself in moments.. I hope the cashier was a hottie and the coffee was good..

It sounds like you are happy and that is a good thing..

Dealer labor and "actual labor" are two totally different things..
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

phillipj

I had a deal from the beginning as soon as I had an issue I was texting my good master tech friend. The first line item -20 hrs labor reduced as he can changed some parts w/o going by the book. they cut the rate & knocked some off. My vehicle wasn't drivable - if it happened in BFE Kansas I'd been getting it fixed in that area.. IDK I prefer my friends who now have their own thing going work on my cars when possible he's serviced it from day one - put my FVD upgrades on for a song.

At some point you get what you pay for... the receptionist they had is pretty good looking although I normally just duck under a bay door. I'll have to check it out when I come in post a review with photos .

Lastly, his bay always has something awesome in it- went by to get my radar detector and he had a GT3 4.0RS & a baby lambo next to it. We do drives -- he does them all the time but I'm rarely in town.

"Laissez les bons temps rouler"
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

I'm happy I'm not splitting my engine apart. The rest is just a swipe of the card and a line item to be paid at the end of the month. If it bothers you I don't think cars are the right thing for a person. I've been doing it to long to get upset... I'm always relieved *knock on wood* its minor.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, when I see how much it will cost you German_Saint I feel bad. But feel even worse when I am comparing what you are getting done to my dealer fixing the Spoiler for me about the same money. thats a shame big time.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
phillipj

I had a deal from the beginning as soon as I had an issue I was texting my good master tech friend. The first line item -20 hrs labor reduced as he can changed some parts w/o going by the book. they cut the rate & knocked some off. My vehicle wasn't drivable - if it happened in BFE Kansas I'd been getting it fixed in that area.. IDK I prefer my friends who now have their own thing going work on my cars when possible he's serviced it from day one - put my FVD upgrades on for a song.

At some point you get what you pay for... the receptionist they had is pretty good looking although I normally just duck under a bay door. I'll have to check it out when I come in post a review with photos .

Lastly, his bay always has something awesome in it- went by to get my radar detector and he had a GT3 4.0RS & a baby lambo next to it. We do drives -- he does them all the time but I'm rarely in town.

"Laissez les bons temps rouler"
Awesome.. I'm glad that you are happy with the work and know the people. I too take my car to the dealer. But I always grind them on the price.

Next time look at the cashier. They are always hot
Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Andy Schmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accumulator

Just had my accumulator replaced last week at a So. Cal indie for $354 parts, labor, taxes. They said the slave was fine so no work needed on that....

Quick Reply: WHAMMY!! Clutch Accumulator/Vario Cam/Major Service