Sponsored by:

GIAC tune update

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default GIAC tune update

I'm still very impressed with the GIAC tune and was able to run an 11.28 tonight at 121.8 mph on pump gas with everything stock except for the tune. This Sunday I'll run 110 unleaded race gas for the first time and will report numbers when I get back. Drag strip aside, the car is still quicker to respond and more fun on a day to day basis. GIAC is pricey, but I will say there is a legitimate difference that shows up in real numbers that count, not on a dyno. I'm looking forward to getting a new exhaust and cats and seeing what difference that makes optimizing the tune.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:26 AM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great time! I'm thinking about getting the GIAC tune so glad to hear you're impressed with it.
Have you had any negative effects from the tune? Would you choose the GIAC if you were to do all over again?
Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2thdoc
Wow, great time! I'm thinking about getting the GIAC tune so glad to hear you're impressed with it.
Have you had any negative effects from the tune? Would you choose the GIAC if you were to do all over again?
Thanks
The only noticeable negative effect might be that shifting feels a little harder. No slower, just harder as it shifts with the rpms going up quicker. I'm very happy with the GIAC but I chose it mostly because that's what Wright Motorsports were experts in and I put more weight on their expertise and recommendations that the actual software writer. I also like the ability to switch between stock, pump, and race maps in a matter of seconds.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

^You can race your car wearing a mini skirt?! what kind of track is this?!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Igooz
^You can race your car wearing a mini skirt?! what kind of track is this?!
??????????
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
??????????
I think he is referring to your avatar photo....Girl has on a skirt(or shorts??) in the photo..At least that is my assessment of what he meant..
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

^
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nuke, I tried one spirited quarter mile run the other night and I found that the car seemed to die on the 1-2 shift. I haven't practiced much, but I think that I hit the rev limiter killing my fuel during the shift. My car is tuned and boy does that redline come fast in first. If my assessment is correct, it almost seems like the car accelerates faster than the tach can read! I'll try again when I have time for more runs but I thought you might have observed similar and can weigh in
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LT1
Nuke, I tried one spirited quarter mile run the other night and I found that the car seemed to die on the 1-2 shift. I haven't practiced much, but I think that I hit the rev limiter killing my fuel during the shift. My car is tuned and boy does that redline come fast in first. If my assessment is correct, it almost seems like the car accelerates faster than the tach can read! I'll try again when I have time for more runs but I thought you might have observed similar and can weigh in
I haven't noticed any problem on the 1-2 shift, but my car is a tip and so the car takes care of that on it's own. I agree with how fast it builds power, when I go to manual mode and shift, redline comes WAY to fast to watch the tach and the road. I let the tip shift because it changes just as fast as I can and there's no worry about missing it with the quick revs. On a side note, I have race gas in the car now and the acceleration is crazy fast. I've only felt acceleration like that when I was in a jet prior to retiring from the AF. I wish race gas was easier and cheaper to acquire. Here's my 1/4 mile race slip:

Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 AM
ISFtoTurboS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of PSI are you getting with the 93 octane and 110 octane? Aren't you killing your cats with the leaded fuel?

I thought you are only supposed to run 100 octane unleaded if you have cats and if you are catless you can run 110 leaded.

I'm thinking of going the GIAC route - but not sure if I want to go catless/straight pipe or not first. With race gas, you're now in Turbo S territory!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Running leaded gas doesn't instantly kill cats, it just slowly clogs them leading to premature failure.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ISFtoTurboS
What kind of PSI are you getting with the 93 octane and 110 octane? Aren't you killing your cats with the leaded fuel?

I thought you are only supposed to run 100 octane unleaded if you have cats and if you are catless you can run 110 leaded.

I'm thinking of going the GIAC route - but not sure if I want to go catless/straight pipe or not first. With race gas, you're now in Turbo S territory!
Unfortunately I wasn't paying much attention to the actual boost numbers with either octane, I was trying to focus on the road. As for the octane, I'm running 110 UNLEADED which is what the tune was designed for. Leaded is no good. Even if you went catless, the O2 sensors on the front side would cause all sorts of problems. High flow exhaust is next, and from what I read will really compliment the tune. I'll post those numbers once I have them.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 AM
ISFtoTurboS
Intermediate

Oh, there is 110 octane unleaded? Didn't know that - good to know. Why even go with an exhaust? Why not just do straight pipes from the headers? Don't the turbos muffle the exhaust enough? Plus no exhaust = 40-50 pounds of weight savings?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ISFtoTurboS
Oh, there is 110 octane unleaded? Didn't know that - good to know. Why even go with an exhaust? Why not just do straight pipes from the headers? Don't the turbos muffle the exhaust enough? Plus no exhaust = 40-50 pounds of weight savings?
The tune was meant to run on 110 unleaded however WMS said I could go as low as 104-105 unleaded and the ecu will detect it and pull timing so it runs fine on that also. As for exhaust, I must admit I'm a little ignorant there still. Isn't it required to have a muffler and cats on a street car? I was leaning toward the Fabspeed with he option of having catless bypass pipes for the track. Any thoughts on that?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 AM
ISFtoTurboS
Intermediate

Well, legally you need cats and mufflers... and legally we shouldn't go past the speed limit... and legally I'm not even allowed to shoot a Red Ryder BB gun in the back yard of our subdivision. I'm not admitting I'm doing any of these things, but why not have something with MAX gains and MIN weight for track purposes and perhaps a few days here and there for the street?

Quick Reply: GIAC tune update