Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All good advice- OP do it, piece of mind is worth it plus the warranties are transferrable / cancellable.

For reference went with Fidelity Platinum +6yr/60k on top of current mileage on a sub 10k car still under CPO for 2800.00

Also shop around they are negotiable dealer to dealer.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by roybotnik
I just got a couple quotes today..

$5500 for a fidelity warranty 3y/36k miles. $6000 for easycare, same duration but $250 deductible instead of $100. It's nice that easycare sells their stuff direct, tbh. I'm talking with the salesman again later and I'll see if that's negotiable.

I guess this is to be expected since my car is out of warranty, and just crossed 35k miles. If you've got a warranty available for $3k I think you should definitely jump on it.
wow $6K is not worth it. short of the engine blowing, the probability adjusted cost of the other mechanical failures that "could" occur should not total $6K. your mileage is not very high, I figured you'd be able to get $3K, no?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info and advice! Most likely I will get the warranty, just in case.

Eurotom, $2800 for a 6/60? Wow, that is a smokin' deal!

Thanks all.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2thdoc

Thanks all.
Tom will be 60 before that car sees 60K miles

all joking aside it's mileage dependent. higher miles higher cost
Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

After having gone through a post warranty repair that took some negotiation, I would recommend a warranty. I am going to look into another for my car.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My CPO warranty from Porsche ran out. i use my buddy who is a master tech.. factory porsche with a slight break in price. He seemed I shouldn't worry about the 997.1 TT.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time. I'd rather come out of pocket if needed than put down more money. I paid for the CPO warranty- didn't use it & just realized it's probably out of warranty now oh well.

Self insuring is ok with the 997 TT. I did sell another car last yr as the warranty was about to run out and could not be extended.. 2008 BMW Alpina B7.. what a pos- reminded me of the first run of Cayenne when I sold p-cars.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2thdoc

Thanks all.
Yeah I also thought it was a stupid good deal.

Originally Posted by aa909
Tom will be 60 before that car sees 60K miles

all joking aside it's mileage dependent. higher miles higher cost
HA HA HA Art! Will wifey let you come out and play on 21st?

Considering where Porsche is going I just may keep it until I'm 60. Off Topic(reated to my comment) great article from the 991GT3 forum.

http://rawautos.com/2013/08/uncooked...ssion-affairs/
Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
wow $6K is not worth it. short of the engine blowing, the probability adjusted cost of the other mechanical failures that "could" occur should not total $6K. your mileage is not very high, I figured you'd be able to get $3K, no?
Yea I don't know, I'm not very impressed with these prices. However there's a lot that can happen in 3 years... $7k diff, trans, however much for a failed turbo, etc. I'm already looking for a coolant leak and I had to replace a clutch accumulator (which easycare would cover). I think the prob is I don't really trust my car.... it is becoming apparent that it was kind of neglected tbh.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 AM
SMB
Intermediate

Not

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
3-car story, all P cars, all purchased new

'99 C2 Cab, bought Warranty Gold(A+ rated at that time) extended, got f-d at the end b/c the company was a pyramid and the owners in the Caymans ran off with 25mil. Had to replace the soft top, rear plastic window and MAF, about $6000 in claims, unpaid. Did get VISA to chase their butt and got 3/4 of my premium back, and after 7 years, got a small check for the settlement after the sharks, er, uh, lawyers got their share.

'04 C4S Cab, decided not to go aftermarket, went to dealer, got a good policy with lots of flexibility, could get service done about anywhere, small deduct, covered most items other than wear. Decent price too. Added 2 years of warranty to the car. In week 2, post 4-year life of car, engine went. 16k miles, pristine condition, never abused, always serviced at same dealer. Porsche goodwilled a new engine (not reman'd), and covered the entire repair. The warranty was there if I needed it, but thankfully between a great service manager, and PCNA, it worked out well. Sold the car with a few months of that left on it.

'09 Turbo Cab (current), approaching end of warranty period. Just bought similar dealer package again, this time adding 3 years to existing, covering most (not all, none of them do), other than wear items. Comprehensive enough for the big stuff, and I can handle the small stuff - so the bottom line for me was peace of mind. I intend to keep the car a while, and I found the pricing for the warranty (around 1k/year) to be fair and reasonable enough. And I know the dealer well, and know they will go to bat for me if needed.

So beyond that, it's all up to you - peace of mind for a few grand, or take a chance. I do not personally think this engine experiences a lot of issues over time, but like others have said, things can go when you least expect, and end up costing more than the price of the policy.

Sorry for the long winded response. Get either a dealer package (flexible where you can go, etc), or one of the better ones mentioned above. Good luck!
This is a really good perspective with a lot of nice examples. Thanks for sharing. Just goes to show that it's really important to do your research on the warranty company (BBB rating is only slightly useful) and that anything can happen no matter how well the car was cared for. I've been a DIYer with all my previous cars but the parts are so expensive w/ the TT that saving on labor doesn't go as far.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try calling polly at sunset porsche in oregon- i bought Fidelity platinum 6yr/75k addt'l mileage policy from them awhile back for wife's 07 BoxsterS- got decent price for my 07TT w 19k miles from them few months back-decided to wait till more of CPO was up before buying. Cost is sales tax free also.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 PM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgrpph
try calling polly at sunset porsche in oregon- i bought Fidelity platinum 6yr/75k addt'l mileage policy from them awhile back for wife's 07 BoxsterS- got decent price for my 07TT w 19k miles from them few months back-decided to wait till more of CPO was up before buying. Cost is sales tax free also.
Just got a price quote from Sunset Porsche. Their price is better than my local dealer but I might use this as a bargaining tool to see if I can get it cheaper locally for convenience.

Thanks for the info bgrpph!

Fidelity Warranty Services Inc.

Platinum Coverage $100 deductible $250 deductible

6 yrs. / 60,000 miles $4,339 $3,465
5 yrs. / 60,000 miles $4,183 $3,357
4 yrs. / 48,000 miles $3,693 $3,011
3 yrs. / 36,000 miles $3,020 $2,558

This was based on my car, 2008 w 23k miles. They told me I would have to pay CA sales tax, though.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
3-car story, all P cars, all purchased new

'99 C2 Cab, bought Warranty Gold(A+ rated at that time) extended, got f-d at the end b/c the company was a pyramid and the owners in the Caymans ran off with 25mil. Had to replace the soft top, rear plastic window and MAF, about $6000 in claims, unpaid. Did get VISA to chase their butt and got 3/4 of my premium back, and after 7 years, got a small check for the settlement after the sharks, er, uh, lawyers got their share.

'04 C4S Cab, decided not to go aftermarket, went to dealer, got a good policy with lots of flexibility, could get service done about anywhere, small deduct, covered most items other than wear. Decent price too. Added 2 years of warranty to the car. In week 2, post 4-year life of car, engine went. 16k miles, pristine condition, never abused, always serviced at same dealer. Porsche goodwilled a new engine (not reman'd), and covered the entire repair. The warranty was there if I needed it, but thankfully between a great service manager, and PCNA, it worked out well. Sold the car with a few months of that left on it.

'09 Turbo Cab (current), approaching end of warranty period. Just bought similar dealer package again, this time adding 3 years to existing, covering most (not all, none of them do), other than wear items. Comprehensive enough for the big stuff, and I can handle the small stuff - so the bottom line for me was peace of mind. I intend to keep the car a while, and I found the pricing for the warranty (around 1k/year) to be fair and reasonable enough. And I know the dealer well, and know they will go to bat for me if needed.

So beyond that, it's all up to you - peace of mind for a few grand, or take a chance. I do not personally think this engine experiences a lot of issues over time, but like others have said, things can go when you least expect, and end up costing more than the price of the policy.

Sorry for the long winded response. Get either a dealer package (flexible where you can go, etc), or one of the better ones mentioned above. Good luck!
Please elaborate on the "dealer warranty". Is this CPO, another Porsche product, or a third party that your dealer sells. If third party, who was it? I have years before I will be faced with this decision but would like to know for future reference. I was actually thinking about selling the TT in '14 and getting a TTS. CPO on the TT expires 11/14. Thanks.

Last edited by Porsche 25th; 09-01-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
Please elaborate on the "dealer warranty". Is this CPO, another Porsche product, or a third party that your dealer sells. If third party, who was it? I have years before I will be faced with this decision but would like to know for future reference. I was actually thinking about selling the TT in '14 and getting a TTS. CPO on that one expires 11/14. Thanks.

The dealer is a huge entity, multi-dealer, and headquarted in my town. They offer this (or versions) through their entire operation, and it's their policy.

It is not the same as a CPO.

Would probably have been a nice option to get CPO, but that is not really an option in many dealerships - you have to technically 'sell' the car to them, then buy back, etc...PCNA frowns on it, but some dealers can make it happen.

In comparing CPO to this one, there is very little difference. I like the fact that the product is handled by the dealer owner, and the owner's main office is 5 minutes away if I really had to beat a door down.

Beyond that, the relationship with your service manager and dealer is a big piece of this too.

Obviously if you can pick up a CPO car with extended, all the better. This was the next best thing for me keeping the vehicle another few years.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Eric

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty or Not?