Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been thinking about getting an extended warranty through Fidelity. Does anyone have any experience with actually filing a claim. I did a google search and came across website consumer affairs.com that had all negative reviews/experiences with filing claims.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 584 Posts

Picked up an EasyCare extended warranty on my last car, an 06 C2S and a month into it the flywheel sheered off. The extended warrenty covered it where as the original P-warranty would not have.

With my TT, it was out of warranty when I bought it so I did not have the option BUT would have bought an extended warrenty if I did have the option.

All this being said, I've had zero problems since purchased just over a year ago.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobrut911
I've been thinking about getting an extended warranty through Fidelity. Does anyone have any experience with actually filing a claim. I did a google search and came across website consumer affairs.com that had all negative reviews/experiences with filing claims.
I wouldn't take those too seriously, the people on those websites are totally insane. I would look for forum posts on 6speed and rennlist and/or other automotive forums. I went with the easycare warranty after coming across a 6speed thread where several 996tt owners said easycare was great.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:12 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had fidelity platinum on my previous 02 996C2- fidelity covered it when remote on key wouldn't work, had RMS leak and fidelity covered that also- Fidelity on wife's boxster just covered for drivers door handle cable & bracket.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:31 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobrut911
I bought Fidelity warranties in February for my TT and wife's Cayenne S. Cayenne S a few months later had a high pressure fuel pump go out, they fixed that but then determined all the fuel injectors needed to be changed to. No hassles other than a small delay because Fidelity wanted to send someone out to look at the car both before the pump fix and then before the injector fix.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 PM
stltri
Rennlist Member

OP

I got my Fidelity Platinum Extended Warranty from Pacific Porsche. Contact Christine Takla. She can do everything over the phone. I think the extended warranty is worth it for peace of mind. In my case, it has almost paid for itself already after 4 months into it. Car has been flawless until the CPO ran out. Go figure.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stltri
OP

I got my Fidelity Platinum Extended Warranty from Pacific Porsche. Contact Christine Takla. She can do everything over the phone. I think the extended warranty is worth it for peace of mind. In my case, it has almost paid for itself already after 4 months into it. Car has been flawless until the CPO ran out. Go figure.
Thank you, I'll check Pacific too.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 AM
SMB
Intermediate

Here is a different POV to consider - companies that issue warranties expect to make a profit by either capitalizing on rare expenses or denying questionable claims. Self - insurance of your vehicle is worth consideration if you believe your due diligence in the pre-purchase phase has given you confidence in your vehicle's condition. Thoughts?

'08 911TT, White/Cocoa Brown, 6 speed, LSD, S. Chrono - all stock
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SMB
Here is a different POV to consider - companies that issue warranties expect to make a profit by either capitalizing on rare expenses or denying questionable claims. Self - insurance of your vehicle is worth consideration if you believe your due diligence in the pre-purchase phase has given you confidence in your vehicle's condition. Thoughts?

Yes, your point of view makes it difficult to decide. I have read numerous complaints online about denial of claims, difficulties dealing with them, and poor reviews. But then there are many people satisfied with their extended warranties too, as seen in some of the posts above.

I am confident in the condition of my car, the DME history indicated only range 1 revs and the inspection results were great. The previous one owner was an older woman who I doubt abused the car. She actually seemed to baby the car from what I could tell. But you never know, these cars are so complex and high- tech that if something does go wrong it could get very expensive to fix.

I'm leaning towards getting the warranty just in case something major breaks.
Especially since I negotiated what I think is a decent deal, $2908 for a 4yr/48k mi Fidelity Platinum.

Thank you everyone for your input on this!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts are this...I wanted a extended warranty but cant get one because I am in Germany. If something catastrophic happens then I take the 3-4k and put it towards a stroker motor and come out ahead.

BUT I would still get an extended warranty if it was possible for me.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't drive many miles annually but look for 6 or 7 yr coverage since i plan to keep the car- or if things change it helps with resale. Difficult or costly to get coverage, if desired, for 9 or 10 yr old car. Also some of coverages (i.e Fidelity) have clause that may reduce what's covered if over 50k miles..
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by SMB

Following your logic, then why do brand spanken new cars that have not been touched/driven/over reved etc etc have warranties?

Point is, an insurance is there for an un expected breakdown and regardless of the condition of the car, things can happen.

Just 'coz the PPI was good doesn't guarente the car will be trouble free in the future.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bought an 07TT one year ago, about 16K miles. PPO, all clean
Since then: 1) New radiator due to a small quarter size leak on the floor over the winter 2) new accessory cooling fan for engine 3) one of the numerals went out on the mileage counter; new instument cluster.
Fidelity 5 year warranty, about 3500 i think. Already paid for itself. No hassles about getting work done; and i checked with the service manager about that before buying.
Also, i sold a prior 911 with a year left on an aftermarket warranty; i think it helped sell the car fast
Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 AM
SMB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo

Following your logic, then why do brand spanken new cars that have not been touched/driven/over reved etc etc have warranties?

Point is, an insurance is there for an un expected breakdown and regardless of the condition of the car, things can happen.

Just 'coz the PPI was good doesn't guarente the car will be trouble free in the future.
It's about risk-reward. Being in the marketing business, new or low mileage cars are the safest bet around. Low expected value of payout makes warranties a near sure bet with a quality car like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, or porsche.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty or Not?