Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty or Not?

My existing warranty expires in 2 months so I'm considering an extended warranty. I called my local dealer and they offered me a 3year/36k mile warranty from Fidelity for $2908. I had the dealer check out the car and they said everything is fine. The DME showed only range 1 revs.

Have you guys with 997.1 Turbos had many problems with your cars?
Trying to decide if I should get the warranty or take a chance without it.
Right now the car is stock but I'm thinking to do an exhaust and possibly a tune.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

IMO: there is no right answer here just different tribes telling you what they think...I don't do extended warranty as a rule. I am happy to be done with the overpriced (cappuccino) pcar dealers and work with my local "Indy" whom I love and respect and trust...Just me...(The answer may also vary depending on how much you actually drive the car, and what kind of coverage or deductibles you get...)

one more thing:be careful as I have heard that some of the third party warranty companies never pay, or they go bankrupt, or all kinds of BS to deal with...just enough to get your blood pressure up or encourage the use of foul language...not for me!

Last edited by Igooz; 08-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

How long do you plan on keeping the car?

I bought an extended warranty for mine. Fidelity Platinum, 4 years/48K miles, $100 deductible. I plan to keep the car for a while, so it was worth it. Look at it this way, your spoiler goes, or one of the coolant pipes comes loose, that warranty just paid for itself.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
How long do you plan on keeping the car?

I bought an extended warranty for mine. Fidelity Platinum, 4 years/48K miles, $100 deductible. I plan to keep the car for a while, so it was worth it. Look at it this way, your spoiler goes, or one of the coolant pipes comes loose, that warranty just paid for itself.
How much was yours??? I still have one year left on factory warranty but may do another after its over.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure how long I will keep the car but if the past is any indication then about 3 years. My previous car, 2012 CTS-V, kept only 1 1/2 years. Prior to that, 2008 Viper, 3 1/2 years and before that, another Viper for 3 years. But, since the Porsche feels so much better I might end up keeping it longer.

I do have an independent shop that I trust near my house so if I don't get the warranty I have a shop I can take it to. But, like ilko mentioned, all it takes is one or two repairs and the warranty was worth it.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Thanks for the input!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I forget the exact amount but it was a little over $1000 per year. But every car is different. It depends on the year, mileage, if its still under factory warranty, etc. I did it while the car was still under CPO and that helped. Then I put 6k miles on the car in the last few months. If I asked for a quote now it would likely be much more expensive. PM me if you want me to give you the contact info on the person that I got the warranty from. The quote was much cheaper than the local Porsche, VW, and Ford dealer (you can buy it from anywhere).

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
How much was yours??? I still have one year left on factory warranty but may do another after its over.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I forget the exact amount but it was a little over $1000 per year. But every car is different. It depends on the year, mileage, if its still under factory warranty, etc. I did it while the car was still under CPO and that helped. Then I put 6k miles on the car in the last few months. If I asked for a quote now it would likely be much more expensive. PM me if you want me to give you the contact info on the person that I got the warranty from. The quote was much cheaper than the local Porsche, VW, and Ford dealer (you can buy it from anywhere).
Thanks man, as I get closer to the end of my warranty Ill revisit this topic and contact you.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Honestly based on what I have seen here and elsewhere, if you plan on keeping the car for a few years then you could easily spend more than $3k on repairs over that time. All it takes is a leaky diff, coolant pipes, or that trans seal on the tiptronic (don't know if you are 6 spd or tip). Most folks don't hesitate to throw down $4k on an exhaust so what's $3k for 3 years worth of peace of mind?

It sounds like you've already got one lined up through a reputable company so that's good. I purchased a warranty through carchex.com and come to find out today that my contract was rejected. I purchased the warranty 2 months and 1000 miles ago so needless to say I'm a bit pissed about it. They still haven't figured out why they have no record of it getting rejected (carchex sells on behalf of a few different administrators).
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

The warranties on my 09 TT and my wife's 09 Cayenne S ran out in February. I plan on keeping them both for now, probably a few years on wife's car and may keep the TT forever. Got the Fidelity Platinum ($250 deductible) policies, 3 years on the Cayenne and 5 years on the TT. TT was close to but under $3,000. Note the dealers have LOTS of room to discount from the "sticker" price on these warranties. OP who is your dealer? (I can help at Downtown Porsche, if you want PM me.)

I absolutely think its worth it. Anything major goes wrong, and you could spend multiples of the warranty cost. A few months ago, Cayenne S started running very rough; they had to replace the high pressure fuel pump, and once they did that they found they had to replace all the injectors. Don't know what the total bill would have been, but I'm pretty sure I recovered the majority of the warranty cost.

From my prior research here on RL, Fidelity seemed to be the best choice.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 AM
modifier
Instructor

Someone was talking about a $2200 (or close) alternator for a Cayenne today. Extra warranty might not be a bad idea.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 AM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards getting the extended warranty.

jcnesq,
The dealer I spoke with was Beverly Hills Porsche and the warranty was 3/36 Fidelity Platinum for $2908. If you think Downtown Porsche can give me a better deal i'd definitely be interested and grateful. I'll pm you to discuss. Thank you!

roybotnik,
I inquired at carchex and they responded that no policy was available in CA for my car. I agree, that the peace of mind for the 3 years might be worth the $3k.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 AM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Do all porsche dealers sell fidelity warranties? I have seen that fidelity is very popular for porsche aftermarket warranties. Looks like I'm going to be shopping around for one now...
Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

I bought Interstate via our triple CAA (Canada's equiv of the AAA) in Canada who offers it. It's a bit different than the USA Interstate as it's underwritten by a large insurance company here in Canada. The local CAA has a strong reputation and the only reason I purchased it (Fidelity is not available in Canada). My price was high, $4500.00 tax in for two years and 40K KM. Has extensive coverage on the TT but for sure is pricey.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

I just got a couple quotes today..

$5500 for a fidelity warranty 3y/36k miles. $6000 for easycare, same duration but $250 deductible instead of $100. It's nice that easycare sells their stuff direct, tbh. I'm talking with the salesman again later and I'll see if that's negotiable.

I guess this is to be expected since my car is out of warranty, and just crossed 35k miles. If you've got a warranty available for $3k I think you should definitely jump on it.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

3-car story, all P cars, all purchased new

'99 C2 Cab, bought Warranty Gold(A+ rated at that time) extended, got f-d at the end b/c the company was a pyramid and the owners in the Caymans ran off with 25mil. Had to replace the soft top, rear plastic window and MAF, about $6000 in claims, unpaid. Did get VISA to chase their butt and got 3/4 of my premium back, and after 7 years, got a small check for the settlement after the sharks, er, uh, lawyers got their share.

'04 C4S Cab, decided not to go aftermarket, went to dealer, got a good policy with lots of flexibility, could get service done about anywhere, small deduct, covered most items other than wear. Decent price too. Added 2 years of warranty to the car. In week 2, post 4-year life of car, engine went. 16k miles, pristine condition, never abused, always serviced at same dealer. Porsche goodwilled a new engine (not reman'd), and covered the entire repair. The warranty was there if I needed it, but thankfully between a great service manager, and PCNA, it worked out well. Sold the car with a few months of that left on it.

'09 Turbo Cab (current), approaching end of warranty period. Just bought similar dealer package again, this time adding 3 years to existing, covering most (not all, none of them do), other than wear items. Comprehensive enough for the big stuff, and I can handle the small stuff - so the bottom line for me was peace of mind. I intend to keep the car a while, and I found the pricing for the warranty (around 1k/year) to be fair and reasonable enough. And I know the dealer well, and know they will go to bat for me if needed.

So beyond that, it's all up to you - peace of mind for a few grand, or take a chance. I do not personally think this engine experiences a lot of issues over time, but like others have said, things can go when you least expect, and end up costing more than the price of the policy.

Sorry for the long winded response. Get either a dealer package (flexible where you can go, etc), or one of the better ones mentioned above. Good luck!

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty or Not?