Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery

Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Dead Battery

My 997.1 TT is dead in the garage. Any idea what could have caused my battery to drain? I did leave the keys in the ignition, but off position. Nothing works, can't even open the hood. Is there a way to get to the battery?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

I could have sworn that I read leaving the key in the ignition will kill the battery. I leave mine in the ignition, but I pull it half way out. Never been an issue for me.

As for your other question, there is a page in the owners manual that tell you how to hook up a charger to the fuse panel by the drivers left foot. That provides power to the car so that you can pop the trunk.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

The key in the ignition will not come out either. Guess it needs power to come out.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner
The key in the ignition will not come out either.
Tip or 6?

Just checked my Tip.

Car has to be in park to remove key.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams

Tip or 6?

Just checked my Tip.

Car has to be in park to remove key.
My car is a Tip.

I've tried jumping my hood from the fuse and no luck. Any reason why this isn't working?

I've heard about a cable release behind the front wheel, but the wheel needs to come off to access it.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

These cars will drain the battery even with the key out after several weeks. If you a 997.1 and original battery, it's probably shot. You might as well go buy a replacement (easy enough to install once you get the trunk open).

I've had to open the trunk more than once by jumping it (which I have usually done with a battery charger, although you could use jumper cables with your new battery), never a problem. Are you sure you've got a good ground? Not having the ground cable securely attached to the chassis somewhere could be the reason you are having trouble. Also when you say jumping from the fuse, do you mean the (orange - I think) gizmo that you pull out in the fuse box to access the copper contacts on it?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcnesq
These cars will drain the battery even with the key out after several weeks. If you a 997.1 and original battery, it's probably shot. You might as well go buy a replacement (easy enough to install once you get the trunk open).

I've had to open the trunk more than once by jumping it (which I have usually done with a battery charger, although you could use jumper cables with your new battery), never a problem. Are you sure you've got a good ground? Not having the ground cable securely attached to the chassis somewhere could be the reason you are having trouble. Also when you say jumping from the fuse, do you mean the (orange - I think) gizmo that you pull out in the fuse box to access the copper contacts on it?
Yes, the orange gizmo in the fuze box. I'll keep trying and make sure I have a good ground.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Ok, finally success.

Interesting, went back and checked for a secure ground and it worked. However, It didn't pop until the key was removed from the ignition.

After getting a secure connection at the fuse box and good ground, I tried opening the hood several times and no luck. Then a clicking sound at the ignition caused me to check the key and it came free. Then pop goes the hood (or boot or whatever we call it here in USA).

Ok, rookie mistake on my part for leaving the key in the ignition.

Really appreciate the help!

This forum rocks!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:25 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Your battery will need a serious charge to get it back up to the 95-98% full state of charge (SOC).

You really should put it on a charger for a good long time. Driving the car around unless it is for extended hours will not do the trick...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

So if I surmise correctly, the trunk release pull up mini lever on door sill, with the same lever type for the engine lid, is an electro-mechanical rather than pure mechanical?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh, interesting....
when I got back from being out of town for a week, my remote didn't open the door; had to use the key......but the car fired right up....still though it was odd
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
huh, interesting....
when I got back from being out of town for a week, my remote didn't open the door; had to use the key......but the car fired right up....still though it was odd
After 7 days the alarm goes to sleep and remote stops working. It's in the manual.

If the vehicle is not started or unlocked with the remote control within 7 days, the remote control standby function is switched off (to save the vehicle battery).

1. In this case, unlock the driver’s door with the key at the door lock.
Leave the door closed in order to prevent the alarm system from being triggered.
2. Press button 1 on the remote control. The remote control is now activated again.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

I left a charger on the battery all night and still not enough to turn over. Lights up and all, but very weak. I'll keep the charger on it while at work and see if that does it.

I'm thinking new battery.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I left a charger on the battery all night and still not enough to turn over. Lights up and all, but very weak. I'll keep the charger on it while at work and see if that does it.

It's toast - just get a new battery. If charging all night didn't fix, charging for the rest of the day won't do anything.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Jump start the battery, take it out for an extended drive, come back and hook it up to the battery tender.

Been there and done that twice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead Battery