Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Mileage Be Too Low?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can Mileage Be Too Low?

I have found a really interesting 08 TT with just 580 miles. I probably would just move on and avoid the risk but this car has some incredible options, up to $158K. The impact of letting cars sit around seems be a subject of intense debate. Some say it only affects the older and not the newer engines. The story is the PO was injured in a motorcycle accident shortly after buying the car and never became comfortable with the clutch again.

This car has no warranty remaining. The seller claims he started the car 1X per month and drove it a few miles. He also said he stabilized the fuel. Anyone have experience with TT's sitting around? What's the expected and worst case scenario for a car like this?

The car also has the ceramic brakes and aero package. I've read lots of threads on ceramics and since I don't plan to track it's a nice option. I'm less sure about the aero option and I could find very little on it. Is the aero package considered a desirable package for resale? What exactly does the aero package consist of?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

That car looks very interesting. I would definitely be interested if I were still in the market. I would think with a fresh service and thorough PPI the mileage would not be a problem.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get it, those stories are for old aircooled cars, modern seals are good.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

It's fine. Flush the fuel and oil and you're good to go. And for a peace of mind you can get a pretty good deal on an extended warranty with that low mileage.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say buy that puppy. The aero kit is a different front and rear bumper cover and side skirts and the rear wing. As long as it's factory it is very desirable. (and a very expensive option!)

You will love the ceramics... Good luck acquiring this car! What is the seller asking?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100% stock. Seller is asking $95K. I would likely target $90K. It's considerably higher than "book value" but then again book doesn't take into account those options that drove it up to $158K when new.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 911993
I have found a really interesting 08 TT with just 580 miles. I probably would just move on and avoid the risk but this car has some incredible options, up to $158K. The impact of letting cars sit around seems be a subject of intense debate. Some say it only affects the older and not the newer engines. The story is the PO was injured in a motorcycle accident shortly after buying the car and never became comfortable with the clutch again.

This car has no warranty remaining. The seller claims he started the car 1X per month and drove it a few miles. He also said he stabilized the fuel. Anyone have experience with TT's sitting around? What's the expected and worst case scenario for a car like this?

The car also has the ceramic brakes and aero package. I've read lots of threads on ceramics and since I don't plan to track it's a nice option. I'm less sure about the aero option and I could find very little on it. Is the aero package considered a desirable package for resale? What exactly does the aero package consist of?
What to expect? Everything. The car has sat essentially unused so you want to make sure everything works. Still.

It is just a used car -- albeit with low miles -- but you want to make sure everything works. Sure, the car is "new" but new cars can have problems. So you want to make sure there are none in evidence and that there are not any problems from the car's lack of use.

You want to make sure there's nothing currently wrong with the car.

I'd start off with an extended test ride/drive.

Also, after the test ride/drive check the car out thoroughly. Give it a used car check out. Assume nothing works until you verify it does work.

What's the worst that could happen? Well, I'd say the worst would the car has a serious problem from the factory. It is not unknown for a new car to suffer engine failure for instance. Without any warranty and without any goodwill you'd be faced with a pretty big repair bill. Given the car is in otherwise good condition I think you would have to source a factory engine. It would seem a shame to source a junk yard engine for the car but of course that is your call, when (if) you make the call. Which you probably won't. But you asked worst case.

There are other things too: A/C. Electrics (bad wiring harness). Transmission. The list is endless as we know from others new cars while it is rare they have a problem the problem can run the gamut from A to Z.

In the case of this car I'd explore what it would take to get the car CPO'd or if an extended warranty from a 3rd party is available. You would in effect be acquiring a "new car warranty" for the car to protect you as you drove the car and racked up the miles.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For 90, I'd just get a ppi and buy da sob.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Also keep in mind that if you drive the car a bunch you will have to deal with higher than normal depreciation since you're paying a premium for the low miles. If its just a weekend toy and the miles stay low it shouldn't be too bad. But after the car passes 15k ish miles its in a whole different league as far as value goes IMO.

All that being said, that car looks like a long term keeper to me.

And if this car was available a month ago when I bought my 07 I'd be writing a check for it right now (and I don't even like black), so you should assume you need to move fast.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:05 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you found a gem if everything checks out. Not sure I've ever seen one with that low of mileage. Keep us posted and pictures are a must
Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow for 90k that is an incredible deal...

The only concern is that if there was a major defect from the factory, it could still be unidentified at this point. I wonder if you could arrange something with a dealer to get it CPO'ed? Might cost you a few thousand dollars but it would be worth it to get a well-optioned car that is basically brand new. I know it can be done, you just need to find a dealer that will participate.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Sounds like a great deal...time capsule! and go for it!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow, nice find. Tires might need to be replaced due to age (visible check will help to find cracking), and also check for invasion of pests (rats, mice, roaches, etc). Cars that sit long times can attract all kinds of vermin. Might need to pull up some carpet corners, including the front trunk liner, and have a look.

Definitely get a PPI and try to find some sort of coverage/warranty.

Good luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess 90 is okay since the cars is basically new! I agree with Raybotnik and others. See if a dealer will CPO the car givin the mileage. 564 miles is truly a time capsule!

And as far as the sticker.. Mine was over 150 too. Most TTs with lots of options and PCCB's were about 150.

I agree with others also that if you plan to keep the car for a,long time hell with the depreciation. Look at it this way. In three years if you put 5k a year on it it will still only have 15k miles on it! And based on the options it will still demand a great price.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

The car is on autotrader for anyone who wants to see pics. Great looking car. I'm a little jealous that I didn't find it. If it was red it would be perfecto!

Quick Reply: Can Mileage Be Too Low?