Do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013 | 05:47 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

From: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Question Do you think?

Hi Drivers

I am trying to trade my TT (480 hp) for an '08 Vantage (380hp)

the asking price for the AM is 74......I am trying to make an even trade.

any thoughts? advice? insults? jokes?

thanx in advance
Old 06-17-2013 | 06:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
Hi Drivers

I am trying to trade my TT (480 hp) for an '08 Vantage (380hp)

the asking price for the AM is 74......I am trying to make an even trade.

any thoughts? advice? insults? jokes?

thanx in advance
I thought you were selling the TT becasue of a family addition?? How's the Vantage help that?
Old 06-17-2013 | 07:00 PM
bluecrab
Advanced

74 seems like a lot for an 08 vantage. The engine and tech is pretty dated in that car.

If you do the deal, best of luck with it.
Old 06-17-2013 | 07:11 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Aren't you just after buying this car so why such a short love affair??
Old 06-17-2013 | 07:51 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Rotesauto!
Don't do it! Aston people will not appreciate your avator and may ban you from their afternoon hot tea and McVities biscuit runs!
Old 06-17-2013 | 08:05 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Have you test driven the 08 yet? Its a Sexy car with a mean sounding exhaust but the performance is more inline with the Carrera and not the Turbo. The interior is nice looking, nothing high tech just a nice classy looking GT car. You will miss the power of the 997TT but you will love the sound of the exhaust on the vantage. I have seen a few people trade in there Carrera'S for a Vantage V8 and some have came back and some have not. Drive both and that will answer the question are you a sport car guy or a GT Car guy? I would love to have both in my garage. Another option would be to trade in your '12 cls63 or your 11e550 and keep the 997TT.
What options does the 08 Vantage have that you are looking at?
Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 06-17-2013 | 08:13 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

I really thank everyone for the input.....
could never get rid of the cls......to much muscle haha....
but yes, the Aton would be a step down in a sense of power
and speed, but I wouldn't get it for those anyway,
and yes, there is another babe coming, but I have several more months to 'play' LOL////
Old 06-17-2013 | 08:19 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
I really thank everyone for the input.....
could never get rid of the cls......to much muscle haha....
but yes, the Aton would be a step down in a sense of power
and speed, but I wouldn't get it for those anyway,
and yes, there is another babe coming, but I have several more months to 'play' LOL////
You might have to step up to the DBS that way you can place a baby seat in the back and go for some long drives to make the baby fall to sleep
Congrats!!! Is this your first child?
Old 06-17-2013 | 10:43 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

OK...let me get serious...

Please drive the car first and make sure that you really like it. And then read up a little bit about the reliability of the car (maybe you have, I don't know?).

This car is from the time when Ford was trying to "unload" all the "non-core" brands that they had acquired during Jacques Nasser's era and just focus on fewer "core" brands. AM was sold in the mid 2007 I think...

Is this a lust thing? Like a couple of months and then be sick of it? Maybe you can just rent it for a week or something and see what you think? I know other guys who have rented a car for a week to make sure that is what they wanted.

Sorry, I am not a fan of AM and I will stop while I am ahead...no more from me.

Last edited by Igooz; 06-17-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2013 | 08:44 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

yes, of course I'd drive it first......dealer is being shady about trading it for my TT......
they're acting like real birches, guess they won't make as much or something off my TT?
which IS a better car as far as performance is concerned.......
can't figure these idiots out at Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro NC
Old 06-18-2013 | 09:24 AM
bluecrab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Igooz
OK...let me get serious...

Please drive the car first and make sure that you really like it. And then read up a little bit about the reliability of the car (maybe you have, I don't know?).

This car is from the time when Ford was trying to "unload" all the "non-core" brands that they had acquired during Jacques Nasser's era and just focus on fewer "core" brands. AM was sold in the mid 2007 I think...

Is this a lust thing? Like a couple of months and then be sick of it? Maybe you can just rent it for a week or something and see what you think? I know other guys who have rented a car for a week to make sure that is what they wanted.

Sorry, I am not a fan of AM and I will stop while I am ahead...no more from me.
i agree with this. I have driven an 08 before as a really close friend of mine was about to buy it. at the last minute, I went down with her to check it out (purchase was delayed because the door opening mechanism broke....a sign?) and thought it looked great, but was super dated in all ways. tech, interior, performance, didn't even have HIDs, etc...

I convinced her to test out a 911TT and game over, much better car and much more capable car. Now I own a 997tt too and love it. That said, I use mine for track days etc as well as around town, so maybe you don't use it in the same way I do.

JMO from having driven both. Not to mention the potential headaches of owning an AM out of warranty...
Old 06-18-2013 | 11:39 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

well, the dealer is driving me crazy with empty promises and really generally slack......I think the fact that I want to trade is making them un interested........kind of lame because I'd like to own one a while, guess it's not meant to be.......yet........
Old 06-18-2013 | 01:39 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Try a different dealer. If they are like this now just think what they will be like if there is a issue or concern with the car. Plenty of used cars out there.
Old 06-18-2013 | 01:56 PM
dhud
Instructor

RotesAUTO,

I had the opportunity to own a 997 Turbo and a '07 AM Vantage at the same time. Both sat beside one another in the garage. I loved the looks of the Vantage, it's exhaust note, and the attention I got driving it. However, as far as driving performance and pleasure, the 997 Turbo won hands down. You will miss it if you trade it.

The Aston never stranded me but it had a lot of electrical issues and did require a lot of visits to the shop. I have no regrets owning it and i'm glad I did but I wouldn't get rid of the Turbo for it.

My advice FWIW, keep the Turbo and get the Vantage, just keep your Turbo I feel you will be happier, make sure any Vantage you get is under warranty, and I'd recommend an '09 or later. Bigger engine, more power, lots of improvements.

My Vantage is gone, I sold it before the warranty ran out but, there is a 997 Turbo in my garage still.
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:28 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

you guys are right:

an example of my phone call today...

me: "calling back about the car, you said you were going to call me back yesterday"
the guy: "oh yes, can you hang on a minute?"
me: "yeah sure"

then he puts the phone down and continues a conversation with a lady from VA about some car details..........so I'm sitting there wondering why I can hear the whole conversation, and also why the hell did the guy not call me? haha!
so I hung up...........another one lost..........

but you guys are right, there are more of them out there right?
the time will present itself some other time I suppose

Quick Reply: Do you think?