Sponsored by:

Should I sell my baby - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
porschestrabeturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my baby - help!!

You guys, and a few gals, helped me when I first leased my 997TT in '09. You helped again last month when my lease was ending and I couldn't bear to part with it. And now I am hoping you will help me one more time...

Here's my dilemma - in May, I bought my car off my own lease; had it CPO'd, (thanks to the advice I received here), and I thought we were set for life. Until yesterday, when I learned I will be moving to the UK for 3-4 years. So the question is, do I sell my baby or tuck it away for all those years until I return?

You need to know, I really love this automobile - look at my avatar - it is very special and it provides me with an infinite level of joy every single time I use it! It is, hands down, the best car I have ever driven. No matter what my mood, it makes me happy. No matter what the weather is like, it keeps me safe (I do have a hardtop and snow tires on the stock wheels for winter), and in spring, summer and fall, the top is almost always down and I am always singing. (it looks great too with its summer wheels).

My emotional attachment aside, what if I decide to stay there - it will have sat in a garage (on its trickle charger, of course) all that time, with only an occasional drive when I come to the states to visit?

I've also never sold a car before and have a real fear of that unknown. If I sell, an ad on rennlist is a given - what about ebay or cars.com or autotrader? What are the things I should know before diving in the deep end?

And if we do stay together, is it okay to leave it on the trickle charger for so many years? Is there any deterioration I need to worry about, or prepare for? and what about the value over that time? Am I crazy (or stupid) to even consider this option?

Everyone I know has told me to sell it - but they just don't understand the bond. However, I know all of you do - and that's why I am here - Please help me decide our next move. Thanks in advance for the time and advice!

(PS - No, I cannot take it with me across the pond - I've already exhausted that option)
Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Sell. BTDT round trip a half dozen times.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Keep your car! See my PM...
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Sell - these cars need to be driven not stored. Storage means seals not regularly lubricated. flat spots on tires, rubber deterioration, etc. Seems that many of the very low mileage (not driven) 997's have reported problems, at least more than those that are driven.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Take it with you?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Sell it, it wont be good to sit for 4 years. Invest the cash you get for selling it into a dedicated car fund and when you come back buy another one. There will be plenty for sale that you will enjoy as much as this one.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep ! Don't sell. Don't believe for a minute a car just sitting is going bad.
Think about it, why do the extreme low mileage cars like 993 964 etc, fetch insane premiums ? Because they are 'problem' cars ?

I can give you many examples of cars I bought, sold, kept that mostly just sat and they are all doing fine. I am now working (bringing back to life) on an Alfa Romeo that has not been started for 18 years. It's like working on a time capsule. Amazed how little has deteriorated in almost 2 decades of just sitting.

4 years is nothing. Add a fuel stabilizer (follow instructions on bottle) , change oil and filter, change brake fluid (to be sure there is no water in it), remove battery , inflate tires to 5 bar. That's it.
If you want to go overboard you can order a permabag and have the best humidity environment possible.
http://www.autopyjama.com/index.php?.../1/en_cars.php
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

^+1...I went expat 4 times and I learned to keep my stuff, and it gave me something to look forward to...(I PM'd you already)

However, I understand the issue and the points that the other guys have made. This will be a battle of "logic" versus "emotion"...Perhaps, you can keep it for 6 months or 1 year and see how it goes and then decide?

Does the decision need to be black & white and right away?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough call. The better question is will you still want this car in 4 years? Truth is unless 997.1 turbos become collector cars the depreciation curve will cost you at least $10K-$15K Over the next 4 years, and that assumes limiting the miles driven, which shouldnt be a problem given your move abroad

If you truly believe that you will absolutely love this car in 4 years the same way you do now then I think you can keep it and follow Denis' storage tips. However I would bet that there's just as much of a chance that you may change your tastes over the next 4 yrs and possibly regret losing money on a car you didn't get to enjoy.

I don't envy your predicament. Tough tough choice

Good luck
Art
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There will always be something better, it just may not have a third pedal. If you have a tiptronic then I'd say sell, save some money and buy a 2 year old 991 TT when you return.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

if it is a manual, then keep it. You will never have the opportunity to be the original owner of a manual turbo again thus you will always look back and regret selling it.

shes a keeper.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

OK, OK, Ill tell you what, Ill let you Keep it in my garage. I will make sure its cared for properly till you get back.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reread your own thread. That's the talk of Sellers remorse if I ever heard it.
Keep it. Selling it at any time down the road, even while you're in the UK, will be a snap.
Read the service manual. It instructs us how to store these cars. Seems to me if it was that bad for the car, Porsche wouldn't tell us how to do it!
Good luck. You don't want this biting you in the butt for years to come.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Any way you can have a sibling or your 'rents look after the car? My 'rents have my Mazda while I am in Japan and my mom drives it back and forth to the closer of the two dental offices. She probably p0wns minivans at stop lights and such.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Modern rubber seals don't go "bad", trust me keep it.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my baby - help!!