Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions from a potential future P-nut!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM
vpr80
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions from a potential future P-nut!

Hey,
So I've been looking to buy myself a P-car, but I have a handful of questions and was curious what the group thinks:

In terms of PPI, do I need to get it done if:
1) Private purchase, car is still under warranty?
2) Dealer purchase, car is under warranty and/or CPO? If so, do it at a different dealer?

In terms of longer-term value retention (resale) on TT vs TTs:
1) Do you think there will be a "material" difference in resale value between a stick TT vs a PDK TTs? I tend to think that the 6-speed models will hold their value better (no more stick in 991), but the TTs models have already taken a bigger depreciation hit so the prices are not too far apart now. Curious to see if you think that in 5 years, one will be a much higher resale than the other?

I've been looking for a late model stick TT, but keep coming across very attractively priced TTs so they are pulling me as the top dog in the 997 line (GT cars excluded).

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 591 Posts

Well first of all, welcome to the pack and congratulations on choosing what many of us feel is the best sports car in the world. OK - lots of room for interpretation there but that's the way it is.

A PPI is always a good thing IMO even with a dealer purchase and a CPO'd car as there are things that a Porsche warrenty doesn't cover. Some of these include clutches, flywheels, brake pads and rotars, over-revs etc... The most serious being over-revs from a poor down-shift (the limiter will cut in on an up-shift) and if the engine is ever in trouble this is one of the first things they will check for.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ALWAYS have a PPI regardless if it's from an individual or a dealership. It's good to have a separate set of professional eyes because one can convince themselves it's not an issue. Also I say never buy solely on others opinion. You must see the car. I bought a 911 sight unseen from a reputable dealership and a RL member gave me a Rennfax. While I appreciated his help and his interpretation was not flawed, I would have been a little bit more picky thus negotiated a bit more off the price.

For me, which TT was an easy decision. Buy a manual Metzger block 997 turbo so that had to be a 2007-2009 997.1TT. Good luck with the search!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by vpr80
2) Dealer purchase, car is under warranty and/or CPO? If so, do it at a different dealer?
The factory warranty does not cover wear items such as tires/clutch/brakes/... so you should do an inspection either way and if these items are an issue then you can have it as a part of your negotiation strategy...(Zeus993 has it nailed)

1) Do you think there will be a "material" difference in resale value between a stick TT vs a PDK TTs? I tend to think that the 6-speed models will hold their value better (no more stick in 991), but the TTs models have already taken a bigger depreciation hit so the prices are not too far apart now. Curious to see if you think that in 5 years, one will be a much higher resale than the other?
IMHO: I think that any TT w/6MTwill be more desirable in the long term. So perhaps from a collectability the last year of 997.2TT w/6MT but from a durability a 997.1TT w/6MT as folks (including me) still like the 3.6L better...The TTS seem to be the best buy if you want auto and you can afford to spend the money...

I don't know about the future value of anything, but I have a proven track record: Whatever I sell, ends up becoming valuable...
Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
The factory warranty does not cover wear items such as tires/clutch/brakes/... so you should do an inspection either way and if these items are an issue then you can have it as a part of your negotiation strategy...(Zeus993 has it nailed)

IMHO: I think that any TT w/6MTwill be more desirable in the long term. So perhaps from a collectability the last year of 997.2TT w/6MT but from a durability a 997.1TT w/6MT as folks (including me) still like the 3.6L better...The TTS seem to be the best buy if you want auto and you can afford to spend the money...

I don't know about the future value of anything, but I have a proven track record: Whatever I sell, ends up becoming valuable...
True dat, lol!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=vpr80;10481713]Hey,
So I've been looking to buy myself a P-car, but I have a handful of questions and was curious what the group thinks:

I've been looking for a late model stick TT, but keep coming across very attractively priced TTs so they are pulling me as the top dog in the 997 line (GT cars excluded).

Thank you.[

If you are worried about resale value of a 997 TT in 5 years I wouldn't even get one.. You are going to take a huge hit just like on any other high end car. Even an 09 will be a nine year old car then... By that time the 991 TT will become affordable. So just imagine what the 997's will be worth.

The 997 TT is by far the best car I have ever had.. If you want one just buy it and enjoy it and forget about "what it's worth". It's a car.. The worst investment (except a boat.)

Yes the manuals will most likely be worth a bit more. But not much
Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 PM
vpr80
Track Day

Not really worried about the resale and it's certainly not an investment. But given the choice of cars to get now, it would be nice to get the model that will hold it's value the best.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome vpr80. You can look at your purchase primarily from your usage standpoint. If you are going to DD, then look for a Turbo in Mid-high mileage range, ( ex. 25-45K miles), not a garage queen that may be commanding a premium, which undoubtably, you will not see the price hold much if you rack up 5-10K miles per year. purchase a Turbo that has depreciated due to mileage, not due to misuse or negligence of routine service.
if you are going to drive in heavy traffic, rush hour, etc, PDK may be a better choice.

Conversely, if you are looking for a low mileage , one owner, pristine Turbo for weekend and cruising duties, make sure it has ALL documentation ( original window sticker, manuals, ALL keys, maintenance history, etc.) so you can carry that over when you are ready to sell. Most buyers for this type of use would stick with a 6Spd.

07 and up Turbos, depending on options, start in the mid 70's. There were some sweet Turbos FS here on RL over the last 6-9 months for very good prices; now there are fewer as the weather has improved. So if you're patient, wait for the right one in the price range, color and options you are looking for to come along.

Nothing is going to hold value for more than a year or two. PAG is seeing increase in sales, esp. in 991's, so with the GT3 and Turbo right around the corner, the market may start to flood with 997's traded in, which may mean some negotiating power for used car buyers. Heck, there are even 991 owners trading theres in in anticpation for the GT3 and Turbo arrivals.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj

Yes the manuals will most likely be worth a bit more. But not much
You are missing something here, they will be addressing a smaller audience. So harder to sell, albeit at a marginally higher price. IMHO of course. Nitty gritty details. I agree with the spirit of your post.
To the OP. What i didnt like is the title of your post "future" and "potential" nut, talking about residual values... It means you are not feeling it. You are approaching a sentimental decision with your brain. Doesnt work. Re-evaluate.

A 911 is a feeling rather than a car. And to me this justifies any drop in price. I pray that I get the chance to keep mine forever, and in the end it will be worth zero.

Good luck. If you have made similar posts in the rarri forums and the nissans, then you are looking for a fast car for 5 years. This should be a different approach...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
...A 911 is a feeling rather than a car. And to me this justifies any drop in price. I pray that I get the chance to keep mine forever, and in the end it will be worth zero...
+1! Spoken like a true Romantic! I agree and me too!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Not really worried about the resale and it's certainly not an investment. But given the choice of cars to get now, it would be nice to get the model that will hold it's value the best.

Understand.. Good luck with finding a car...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Igooz
+1! Spoken like a true Romantic! I agree and me too!

+2 on that!

The more I think about it I may just keep mine forever as well! I think I'm going to get my drivers seat re upholstered. It's not that bad but the passenger side is perfect and it looks weird. I have a place here that does Upholstery for the Porsche dealers. Same leather. They do amazing work.. $1800 for both seats with new foam. I would imagine half for just one seat. Besides the running boards it's the only thing that wears in these interiors. I have 63k miles on my car now and not one squeak or rattle. And it's incredibly quick.. Why sell it?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

The important question is what do you really want to drive- a manual or PDK? Saving a few thousand, or for that matter, many thousand dollars won't be worth it if you don't love the drive.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 AM
vpr80
Track Day

I get the romantic feel for the car, but until I hit the lotto, finances still matter. When I get to a point where money doesn't matter, then I won't care about resale, but I haven't gotten there yet

In terns of PDK vs stick, I am honestly undecided. One part of me wants a stick for the extra interaction and feel, but I could also be happy with the PDK and just focus on going fast.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 591 Posts

I get the romantic feel for the car, but until I hit the lotto, finances still matter. When I get to a point where money doesn't matter, then I won't care about resale, but I haven't gotten there yet

In terns of PDK vs stick, I am honestly undecided. One part of me wants a stick for the extra interaction and feel, but I could also be happy with the PDK and just focus on going fast.
Once you've had your maximum share of speeding tickets and a few impoundments you'll most likely start looking for ways to enjoy the car at less than break-neck speeds. That's where the MT will come in. Yes - you can drive the PDK in manual but IMO it's just not the same. (PDK Vs MT... that old chestnut...)

Quick Reply: Few questions from a potential future P-nut!