Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a TechArt Type 1 AeroKit for my turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Zuppy51
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering a TechArt Type 1 AeroKit for my turbo.

What are your thoughts on this kit?

I realize it's not for everyone, especially the side skirts. They are large. However, I'm pretty fond of it. Trying to weigh between this and painting my lowers.

[IMG][/IMG]

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-tu...ok-wheels.html
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Really pretty but probably something you'll get tired of relatively fast...
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

since you asked here are my thoughts

1) The side skirts are too bulky for my taste. it looks out of place for this car
2) The rear diffuser is nice, I have a similar one and it gives the rear some additional presence
3) The rear wing is ok, it is trying hard to look like the OEM aero wing but comes up short
4) The front splitter is nice, it is a bit bulky as well. The werks 1 carbon fiber splitter is nicer

If it were me I would do the following
1) Techart rear diffuser
2) GT2 side skirts
3) Werks 1 carbon fiber front splitter
4) and in order of preference either the OEM turbo aero wing, GT2 wing or the VORSTEINER V-RT Turbo wing

I think the above combination would look great, in fact a few members have similar set ups that can give you an idea of how a well sorted our aero/body kit can look

again these are all IMO of course

Good Luck
Art
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Zuppy51
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
1) Techart rear diffuser
2) GT2 side skirts
4) and in order of preference either the OEM turbo aero wing, GT2 wing or the VORSTEINER V-RT Turbo wing
Thanks for the ideas. I will do some more research.
I've been on the fence for a while. I have actually never seen any of these in person as well, which I'm sure will change my mind.

Thanks again for the candid responses.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

Here are my thoughts:

1. Techart front... not bad... I like it as much as I like the werks1 front lip
2. Sideskirts... I had my lowers painted and the car looked clean and sleek... but with the sideskirts, it gives the car a wider more aggressive stance.
3. Rear diffuser... love it... makes the already wide rear... look even wider.
4. Rear wing... not bad... I don't think it looks that good in the up position. I went with the Werks1 wing b/c I think it compliments the look of the car

Summary: I think if you decide to go with this kit, you have to go all the way. Wheels...drop... etc.

Here are some pics of my car before and after the kit.

Stock with drop and wheels

How it sits now

Edwin
Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

1) The side skirts are too bulky for my taste. it looks out of place for this car
2) The rear diffuser is nice, I have a similar one and it gives the rear some additional presence
3) The rear wing is ok, it is trying hard to look like the OEM aero wing but comes up short
4) The front splitter is nice, it is a bit bulky as well. The werks 1 carbon fiber splitter is nicer

1) Techart rear diffuser
2) GT2 side skirts

I think the above combination would look great, in fact a few members have similar set ups that can give you an idea of how a well sorted our aero/body kit can look

Good Luck
Art
I agree with everything above, and not becuase they're on my car(yours too Art).

One additional thought my suggestion is wheels first, as the more body work you add the more outdated your wheels will look.

In the bay if you every want to see a few of the items listed above in person.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the Oem aero kit works best.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 05-07-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zuppy51
Thanks for the ideas. I will do some more research.
I've been on the fence for a while. I have actually never seen any of these in person as well, which I'm sure will change my mind.

Thanks again for the candid responses.
where are you in the SF Bay Area. I'm in Montclair. as Tom (eurotom) mentioned above you might want to meet up with us sometime and check out his car. he's got the same setup minus the wing

and as others have said if you're going to do a body kit you need to go all in and update the wheels and complete the stance with a drop. Otherwise it will look incomplete IMO

Art
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
DOOBEE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) Techart rear diffuser
2) GT2 side skirts

Good Luck
Art
I have the complete TA type 1 kit on my turbo but I bought it that way. It was one of those things I really wasn't sure of when I was considering the car. The side skirts and front spoiler in particular. Overall I do like the kit but if I were to do it myself I completely agree with all pts above choosing the GT2 wing for #4. aa909 nailed the right combo.

As time goes on and styles change OEM parts tend to look best. The styling of aftermarket stuff just doesn't retain an appearance as attractive. Further, OEM parts always fit properly whereas even the TA pieces aren't perfect. I ended up taking absolutely everything off to rework, refinish and refit them. They are 95% perfect now but I'm picky. Of all the choices out there only authentic TA and Champion are worth buying for both fit and performance. I will be swapping the front lip to the Werks1 soon.

In regard to the side skirts, beware that they are big and easy to brush against when exiting the car. I always clear them with but my passengers rarely do. The right side is much more scuffed than the drivers side.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

M32 - You painted your Werks 1 Lip?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think the Oem aero kit works best.
As a package I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM
C4SxM5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know why the factory aero kit isnt available on cabriolets? I have my lower painted from factory but want something a lil different/aggressive. Actually like the ta front lip more than w1 (w1 has a fish look to it in the pics) but not too fond of the rear (looks to much like stock).

If anyone can confirm the factory aero kit will work on cabs or why not that would be great. I'm assuming it has to do the top but need confirmation.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would agree the OEM kit looks best, mainly the rear wing. I have the tech 1 lip but stopped there for the same reason as others have mentioned that the sides look a bit bulky and the rear wing doesn't hit the mark for this car.

You can find a few pics of my car on this SW link,

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-tu...-type-1-a.html

.....you will see i have all other parts colour coded...inc front nipples.

If i was to add anything I would go the GT2 side skirts and the OEM rear spoiler. I still find looking at the oem lip it is far too subject to showing inevitable scrapes as the lip is simply not designed like the tech 1 TA where if it is scraped the marks are all hidden on the angled back section underneath. Mine has been on the car now for 3 years and has seen so may scrapes i couldn't count. It gets scraped everyday just driving in my ramp and even got ripped off once and reclipped back again and yet it still looks undamaged/unmarked unless you stick your head right under to take a peek. It's a really well thought out design and one of the best looking body super durable parts you can put on this car. It really changed the look of the front for the better. Stock it looks a bit weak imho.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

^^^^ Paul the pics in the link look great. front lip works well with your setup, but I think you need to add the rear diffuser

With the techart splitter the front sits pretty low but the stock rear diffuser sits high and makes the car look a little unbalanced. the last profile pic in the link highlights what I'm referring to. The TA rear diffuser would bring the rear down a little and balance out the overall look. just a thought

Art
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Art. Yes you are right that the last shot shows a rear valance would give a better visual result looking from the side on. You see I normally only hold my cars for 4 years but i've been waiting for the 991tt to see whether it excites me and whether the change over $ are going to be worth it.

My 997tt hasn't seen the same mileage as my previous P cars due to my travels of the past few years. Ive only 24K on odo at moment hence me being quite relaxed about sitting in it for a bit longer to do some more miles(in hope of getting better value for the dollars lost) before unloading it....maybe hold out for gen 2 991tt....or even just hold the car. But it's really been such a great car and i'm a little unsure what I will do at this stage. It's a catch 22 because the longer i hold it the less it is worth and then the change up $ to 991tt become even more (yikes). It's a viceous cycle...best left for my accountant.

Once I see the new 991tt car in the flesh and drive it i will be in a better position to know what i'm best to do. I figure if it doesnt excite me much more than the 997tt then i will hold the 997tt and perhaps wait for gen 2 tts. If that happens then i will happily spend more $ on my 997tt and get a TA rear valance and maybe even GT2 side sills, rear gen 2 bar update and front leds etc. Just that for now i didnt want to throw money on it at the moment in the event the dollars work better for me to change it over because i know whatever i spend from now on I won't get that money back. Sorry for my life story lol.....but yes you are right. A rear valance is desired. Maybe i should bite the bullit anyway and get it done..

Quick Reply: Considering a TechArt Type 1 AeroKit for my turbo.