Sponsored by:

The Blackstone Labs Oil Report Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 11:49 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Just wanted to get some input on a new to me 09 Turbo that I picked up. I did my first oil change and sent a sample off to blackstone and just got the results today - seems pretty alarming. As far as I know the previous owner changed the oil with 0w-40 (guessing it was Mobil1) and had it done a little over a year ago and ~10,000km ago.
Ouch. I would cut your OCI in half for sure, and probably do the reccomendation above. Are you in Canada? Is the car a DD and driven in winter?

I run a Redline blend and get great oil reports (posted above). I just got another one last month but I didn't bother to post it as I only did 382 miles in the past 18 months.. I def need to drive the car more, Doh!

Last edited by saabin; 11-22-2023 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:02 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Ouch. I would cut your OCI in half for sure, and probably do the reccomendation above. Are you in Canada? Is the car a DD and driven in winter?

I run a Redline blend and get great oil reports (posted above). I just got another one last month but I didn't bother to post it as I only did 382 miles in the past 18 months.. I def need to drive the car more, Doh!
Yes I plan to change it more frequently. It looks like the previous owner (based on the service records I have) did an annual oil change with 0w-40 and he daily drove it which ranged from 8-10k kms between changes. When I bought the car it had already been a year since the last oil change so I did changed it immediately and sent that sample off Blackstone which is what you see here. Does not look like it was winter driven, though (southern Ontario) since the underneath looks quite clean and no signs of salt or corrosion anywhere. My previous 997.2 Carrera had great reports so I'm a bit shocked to see these higher metals appearing in the sample. Is it something I need to look at immediately or is it still low enough that I can just monitor and test another sample in couple thousand kms?
Old 11-23-2023, 02:48 PM
harlanmott3
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Figured I should add mine, just to contribute to the growing info they provide.

Quick Reply: The Blackstone Labs Oil Report Thread