adding 3mm spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default adding 3mm spacers

Hey Guys

with the alignment done I'm considering doing some small spacers on the rear wheels to bring them out a hair

I'm looking for 3mm matte black hubcentric spacers.
Can I use the OEM lug bolts or will I need longer bolts with 3mm spacers?

The rear wheels are
19x11 ET 40
camber 1.8 degrees

here's how they look now

Fronts are perfectly flush 19x8.5 45, camber 1.2 degrees

Any suggestions on where to buy 3mm hubcentric spacers?

Thanks in advance
Art
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Only 3MM? Take a picture from the side rear of the car
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eurotom
Only 3MM? Take a picture from the side rear of the car
your avatar is too friggin cute. you're getting him started too early, a used accord is not going to fly when he turns 16!

ok here are a few pics of the front and rear for comparison

The Fronts are flush, you can see the thin silhouette of the PS2s at the top because they have the bulging rubber on the sides

(ignore the "garage" sandals)

Here are the rears

Rear Side (you can see the "whiskers" on the tire

I think the rears need an 1/8" more to be perfect. +3mm would put me at 14mm total offset on the rears

thoughts? too much OCD??

Art
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Art.. The guys I bought mine from will custom make you anything you neeed. I dont have their name handy but they are all over Ebay. I would err on the side of caution and go with the longer bolts. There are huge stresses put on the rear wheels on our cars. I think they (the 3mm) would look great and you're not being obsessive. But like the rest of us I'm not normal.. 14mm looks great on a Turbo.. Your car is looking amazing BTW!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Are those 528i rims I see?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phillipj
Art.. The guys I bought mine from will custom make you anything you neeed. I dont have their name handy but they are all over Ebay. I would err on the side of caution and go with the longer bolts. There are huge stresses put on the rear wheels on our cars. I think they (the 3mm) would look great and you're not being obsessive. But like the rest of us I'm not normal.. 14mm looks great on a Turbo.. Your car is looking amazing BTW!
Thanks Phillip. Very happy with the way the car is coming together

I found a couple of guys on ebay and Amazon that make aluminum 3mm spacers. I found some nice 5mm H&R hubcentrics but I think 5mm (+16mm overall) would be a hair too much.

The arch in the rear wheel wells is much shallower than the fronts, so I do worry that coming out a hair too far on the rears could result in rubbing when driving over bumps.

I was also told that 5-7 full turns on the lugs before torquing them down was required for safety and that the stock lugs were sufficient for small 3mm spacers. But as you recommended I will look for longer lugs if I go this direction with the spacers. I guess 33-34mm lugs would be ideal, where to find black ones in that length is the question

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Are those 528i rims I see?
ah soooooooo close, those are 530i Sports wheels
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool.. You found your 3mm's. Looks like I have some OZ wheels in my future. You guys are making me feel bad with my basically stock TT.

Although I did absolutely destroy a brand new blacked out Maserati Granturismo yesterday. We were side by side and I waived goodbye to him. It wasn't even close. Not bad for the old girl. She loves that race gas...

She's still the 'pitbull".. Even though she doesn't dress slutty..
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aa909
your avatar is too friggin cute. you're getting him started too early, a used accord is not going to fly when he turns 16!

ok here are a few pics of the front and rear for comparison

The Fronts are flush, you can see the thin silhouette of the PS2s at the top because they have the bulging rubber on the sides

(ignore the "garage" sandals)

Here are the rears

Rear Side (you can see the "whiskers" on the tire

I think the rears need an 1/8" more to be perfect. +3mm would put me at 14mm total offset on the rears

thoughts? too much OCD??

Art
Thanks Art, Honda Accord my *** he's getting a skateboard. From the photos I'd say yes you can go more agressive but I'd have to see it in person. Here are a few photos for reference, note I have 12" rears on 325's so offsets are not comparable. Also I have a more aggressive neg camber than you. I cropped the photos as shows for a better y axis reference.

***note the GT2 side skirts that you're buying next***
Attached Images    
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Tom good reference pics, as expected your aggressive camber tucks the wheels in at the top and pushes them out more at the bottom.

The options I'm considering are either 3mm or 5mm and leaning towards 3mm

just curious what are your offsets? the 12" wheels give you an extra 12.7mm of offset I believe
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Tom good reference pics, as expected your aggressive camber tucks the wheels in at the top and pushes them out more at the bottom.

The options I'm considering are either 3mm or 5mm and leaning towards 3mm

just curious what are your offsets? the 12" wheels give you an extra 12.7mm of offset I believe
You're correct given the offsets remain same between an 11 and 12" wheel. I believe my offsets are either 45 or 47 therfore you should run either an 7 or 5mm spacer if you like what you see in my photos.

I'll see if I find my receipt for the wheels. Either way I think 3mm is not enough.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

3mm is nothing, 5mm and 7mm no spacer needed..

as long as you get 4 turns on the bolt its enough... a bolt is only as strong as how thick it is.. so u want ideally as many threads make up how wide it is..

10mm bolt=10mm in threads.

3mm wont affect anything, it's so minute i wouldnt even bother using them because might cause a wobble cause spacers never sit perfect, run 5mm and apply some glue to back of wheel so they sit straight when installing.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

btw, adaptec will make you any spacer you want, 3mm wont be hubcentric but can sit on the hub, 3mm isn't enough to "create new hub part... it would need to extend past the hub for that 3mm will however still expose like 7mm of hub and wheels will sit on that.

what suspension are you running? looks low.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eurotom
You're correct given the offsets remain same between an 11 and 12" wheel. I believe my offsets are either 45 or 47 therfore you should run either an 7 or 5mm spacer if you like what you see in my photos.

I'll see if I find my receipt for the wheels. Either way I think 3mm is not enough.
Thanks Tom let me know what your receipts say regarding the offsets

If you have et47 offsets, the equivalent for my 11 inch wheels would be et35. But IIRC you are running about 0.7 degrees more aggressive camber so if I run equivalent offsets the top of my wheels would stick out more vs sitting flush like yours, which makes be feel like 3mm (et37 overall) would work well

However if you are running et45 then I may need to consider 5mm but I wouldn't go beyond that.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rijowysock
3mm is nothing, 5mm and 7mm no spacer needed..
Rijowysock, you are correct, I don't need spacers, wheels look fine as is just looking to tweak on the margin. The wheels already have a +11mm offset so not interested in adding another 7mm, that would stick out too far for my taste.

3mm is a small tweak and get me 14mm total offset, and I may consider 5mm but that would be pushing +16mm and with stock camber may be out a bit too far. Ideally I could try both before deciding
Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tom let me know what your receipts say regarding the offsets

If you have et47 offsets, the equivalent for my 11 inch wheels would be et35. But IIRC you are running about 0.7 degrees more aggressive camber so if I run equivalent offsets the top of my wheels would stick out more vs sitting flush like yours, which makes be feel like 3mm (et37 overall) would work well

However if you are running et45 then I may need to consider 5mm but I wouldn't go beyond that.
I'm running .5 more negative camber than you. Based on my calculations that would equat to and additional ~ .218 inches of tilt @ the top of my tire

45 or 47 I still think you should go with 5mm. Lets get together this weekend I want to see your car.

Someone check my math

Quick Reply: adding 3mm spacers