Sponsored by:

adding 3mm spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
I'm running .5 more negative camber than you. Based on my calculations that would equat to and additional ~ .218 inches of tilt @ the top of my tire

45 or 47 I still think you should go with 5mm. Lets get together this weekend I want to see your car.

Someone check my math
good to know, so that is about 5.5mm further tucked in at the top than if I ran the same offset. so if you're running et45 with 12in wheels, that is equivalent to et33 so with my 11in wheels + additional 5mm for the camber adjustment at the top = et38 for me

if you're running et47, that would be et40 for me which is what I already have. If this is the case then your set up may look more aggressive because the additional camber puts the bottom of the rears out further than mine with the same offset, yes?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aa909
good to know, so that is about 5.5mm further tucked in at the top than if I ran the same offset. so if you're running et45 with 12in wheels, that is equivalent to et33 so with my 11in wheels + additional 5mm for the camber adjustment at the top = et38 for me

if you're running et47, that would be et40 for me which is what I already have. If this is the case then your set up may look more aggressive because the additional camber puts the bottom of the rears out further than mine with the same offset, yes?
Dude you're splitting hairs. I can throw in another variable if you like. My tires are PS2's verusus your PSS, PS2's in your rear size have a tread width that is 2.5mm wider compared to PSS. lol

Get the 5mm spacers, if you don't like em use them as coasters.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eurotom
Dude you're splitting hairs. I can throw in another variable if you like. My tires are PS2's verusus your PSS, PS2's in your rear size have a tread width that is 2.5mm wider compared to PSS. lol

Get the 5mm spacers, if you don't like em use them as coasters.
LOL!!! this is literally splitting hairs. going to order both 3mm and 5mm and just try them out
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

LOL!!! this is literally splitting hairs. going to order both 3mm and 5mm and just try them out
I'd like to see before and afters as my OZ's have the same offsets in the rear. May need some spacers as well
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

2mm = _

I doubt you can tell the difference once mounted.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

so with my 1.8 degrees camber and 1" drop, if I do go with 5mm spacers as you all suggest for a total offset of +16mm you are confident that there is NO risk of rubbing?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

so with my 1.8 degrees camber and 1" drop, if I do go with 5mm spacers as you all suggest for a total offset of +16mm you are confident that there is NO risk of rubbing?
You should be fine, just eye ball it as is, looking at mine I think I could go out another 5-8 mm.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh well that's a toughy. Once you lower hmmm things can get close. Im just thinking about nicks ride. He was around that figure. You can't blame it all on the rear alignment set up. Mind you it's nice to have the right alignment, ride height, and no rubbing issues. Maybe just settle where it is....unless you can borrow a set of factory 5mm spacers off someone to try out. Spacers also aren't much fun when taking the wheels on and off. Easy to have the rim fall off the spigot and take the bark of the calliper paint....you gotta be real careful.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a set (4) of the Porsche 5mm spacers you can "borrow" to try out if you'ld like to see if they'll work. PM me.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Art, firstly dont get brandless spacers. Ask me how I know.
Get the original porsche items 5mm. They come with longer bolts but alas, they are silver! Between a 3mm from ebay and a 5mm original I would risk the 5mm.

Having said that, with H&Rs and 16mm spacers I had slight rubbing. One one side only, which makes me think it could be alignment related. And not the drivers side (i am a heavy dude). Anyway, got a pair of 15mm used RSSs from 6speed, and I think it went away.
BUT. My 16mm spacers were machined from bigger thickness. And they were the kind that bold on to the hubs with the bolts, and have studs so the wheel is put in place with nuts. I hope you understand what I mean. The 15mm I bought are straight bolt ons with longer bolts. That could also be a different style and thus slightly different fit.

My tires are Bridgestones. They are wider than the pirellis with more lip coverage. The PSS I believe are the widest.

Best offer is that of jhbrennan above. Very kind of you sir. Art, try them on, see if they rub, and presto.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I have a set (4) of the Porsche 5mm spacers you can "borrow" to try out if you'ld like to see if they'll work. PM me.
Good man!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

All, thanks for the comments and feedback, very helpful.

After doing a lot of reading I've found plenty of data with folks successfully running 15mm spacers on the rear with H&R springs without issue, including our friends Nick and Phillip (thanks for the post Nick!). I also spoke with two shops today that do a lot of H&R springs with 15mm spacers and confirmed that it would not be an issue.

Given that this set up works I decided to shoot for a total of 15mm so I ordered a set of 4mm spacers. After some research these guys come recommended from multiple sources

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters_pop.html

they do all their own machining from quality aluminum in the US (no cheap ebay chinese spacers thank you)

I ordered the spacers in anodized black along with longer 2-piece black bolts.

I bet 5mm would have also worked but figured since all the data supports 15mm I'd just keep it simple

Should have them next week, will post pics. I can hear Tom now, "dude you could have gone +7mm more!" ... I know I know

- Art

PS
Jay thank you for the offer to borrow a set of 5mm. very kind of you
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All, thanks for the comments and feedback, very helpful.

After doing a lot of reading I've found plenty of data with folks successfully running 15mm spacers on the rear with H&R springs without issue, including our friends Nick and Phillip (thanks for the post Nick!). I also spoke with two shops today that do a lot of H&R springs with 15mm spacers and confirmed that it would not be an issue.

Given that this set up works I decided to shoot for a total of 15mm so I ordered a set of 4mm spacers. After some research these guys come recommended from multiple sources

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters_pop.html

they do all their own machining from quality aluminum in the US (no cheap ebay chinese spacers thank you)

I ordered the spacers in anodized black along with longer 2-piece black bolts.

I bet 5mm would have also worked but figured since all the data supports 15mm I'd just keep it simple

Should have them next week, will post pics. I can hear Tom now, "dude you could have gone +7mm more!" ... I know I know

- Art

PS
Jay thank you for the offer to borrow a set of 5mm. very kind of you
You can add one more. Just got GMG springs and sway installed along with 15mm RSS spacers (also add 7mm up front). No problems so far......of course has only been a day
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
You can add one more. Just got GMG springs and sway installed along with 15mm RSS spacers (also add 7mm up front). No problems so far......of course has only been a day
Nice, how do you like the ride on the gmg springs?

If you get a chance try 10mm spacers on the front and see if you like it. I think with lowering springs and 7mm spacers the front wheels sit a little too far in vs the rear wheels with 15mm spacers. Totally IMO of course but I think 10/15 spacers is a more balanced look vs 7/15 but based on this thread it's clear I obsess about 3mm differences
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, how do you like the ride on the gmg springs?

If you get a chance try 10mm spacers on the front and see if you like it. I think with lowering springs and 7mm spacers the front wheels sit a little too far in vs the rear wheels with 15mm spacers. Totally IMO of course but I think 10/15 spacers is a more balanced look vs 7/15 but based on this thread it's clear I obsess about 3mm differences
I like them so far but the roads in HI are TERRIBLE.....so looking forward to moving back to San Antonio in June.

Agree a few more mm would make the fronts look more flush but I feel this will kick up more road debris along the side of the car, so will stick with 7mm for now.

I think the wife is putting the kibosh on further mods given the last trip to the shop was somewhat costly (springs, sway bar, clutch, and slave cylinder).....at least until after our new daughter arrives.

Quick Reply: adding 3mm spacers