Sponsored by:

Keeping the TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Keeping the TT

After much trial and tribulation I have decided to keep the TT. I have looked at other ones and I dont feel that falling on the sword for $20k to be in a "different" TT is a sound decision. To be honest I haven't seen one as nice as mine. Sure my paint needs the swirls taken out of it, my clear bra is old an faded and the divers seat shows some wear. But that is it! It's fast, squeak free and rattle free. I think I may just get some OZ wheels and some more CF goodies.. Much cheaper than a new car..

The cars I have seen have really boring interiors. And some have more wear on the seats with 25k miles than mine does with 60k miiles!

Not very inspiring.. And people with really well kept examples want stupid amounts of money for them. Found one real sweet 07 with 15k miles and the guy was asking 85k for it... Really????

Anyway.. That's that. Even my wife supported my decision to get a new one.. She was shocked when I told her I decided I didn't want to..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM
rrm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think that was a smart move. The only Porsche I would trade out of mine for would be a new TT or a 2011/12 TTS.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
rrm
Advanced

Follow-up When I wrote new I meant the NEW TT that will be out later this year...rrm
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
phillipj
Drifting

understood
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

Smart move.

I always think in terms of how much loss versus how many miles of operating cost will it cost me to trade.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
rrm
Advanced

and yet another note...what color is your interior and do you have any pics?
It is funny that I even drive a Porsche. Friends and family know me as a Vette guy and with the horrible experience I endured with my first two Porsche's I am surprised also. My TT is no doubt the easiest "super" car I have ever owned. Unfortunately I like the uncivilized driving experience of a ZO6 of which I have had two...the 405hp and the 505 hp.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
rrm
Advanced

This is an off base question that I throw out to all...my wife has a 2005 XKR that she has had for 8years...I originally leased it but she liked it so much we bought it after the lease expired. I am going to force her to get a new one but I have heard that in 2014 there will be an all new XKR but I can find out nothing about it. Have any of you heard anything about the next (2014) XKR?rrm
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
After much trial and tribulation I have decided to keep the TT. I have looked at other ones and I dont feel that falling on the sword for $20k to be in a "different" TT is a sound decision. To be honest I haven't seen one as nice as mine. Sure my paint needs the swirls taken out of it, my clear bra is old an faded and the divers seat shows some wear. But that is it! It's fast, squeak free and rattle free. I think I may just get some OZ wheels and some more CF goodies.. Much cheaper than a new car..

The cars I have seen have really boring interiors. And some have more wear on the seats with 25k miles than mine does with 60k miiles!

Not very inspiring.. And people with really well kept examples want stupid amounts of money for them. Found one real sweet 07 with 15k miles and the guy was asking 85k for it... Really????

Anyway.. That's that. Even my wife supported my decision to get a new one.. She was shocked when I told her I decided I didn't want to..
Phillip smart move. You know your car inside out and it runs strong. For a few thousand you can remove the old clear bra, fully detail the car and professionally install a new clear bra and buy some new wheels and you're set brother!

Plus, you never know exactly what you're getting with a used car. You've got a great running car, last thing you want is to flip for one that has gremlins and gives you a ton of headaches. taking that risk is only worth it if you find your "must-have" vehicle
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's tough to see what a 997TT will sell for these days. They are fantastic cars. I would not take the hit just to move into another turbo.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Smart move, I should've kept mine, would have saved thousands.
The devil you know.....
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Good move Phil!!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems lika a well made choice Phil.
The grass is rarely ever really greener.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aa909
Phillip smart move. You know your car inside out and it runs strong. For a few thousand you can remove the old clear bra, fully detail the car and professionally install a new clear bra and buy some new wheels and you're set brother!

Plus, you never know exactly what you're getting with a used car. You've got a great running car, last thing you want is to flip for one that has gremlins and gives you a ton of headaches. taking that risk is only worth it if you find your "must-have" vehicle
+1 then get some steels and hit the track. That's what Art is doig in April
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Awesome.. I am considering getting a Cayman S. You can get an 06 for a really good price. I don't know if you have ever driven one but they are an amazing car. So much easier to drive fast than a TT. Up in Angeles Crest I can not stick with the Caymans.

I just don't want to track my TT. Auto cross yes, track DE days yes. If I decided to track the turbo I think I would skin it to protect it. That is getting cheaper and cheaper...
Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

^I've looked into a cayman as well, great car for the track and money.

Quick Reply: Keeping the TT