Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding this DME report?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

9 ignitions on level 4 is really nothing to worry about.
I almost bought a car with a few ignitions on 4 and it would not have bothered me at all. And I am sure the engine did not suffer one bit.
Type 5 and 6 I would not want.
That being said, I bought my current turbo without a DME report so that's even crazier. Go figure.
How did we manage to buy used cars in the old days ?? That must have been a real gambling game with no DME reports available
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Overrated, mine has a bunch of hits in the 6 range. Still runs like a champ! I have not figured out how to go from third to fourth, keep hittin second "WHAM"!!!!. No smoke yet, experts. Bunch of Bull@^%&*.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:43 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
9 ignitions on level 4 is really nothing to worry about.
I almost bought a car with a few ignitions on 4 and it would not have bothered me at all. And I am sure the engine did not suffer one bit.
Type 5 and 6 I would not want.
That being said, I bought my current turbo without a DME report so that's even crazier. Go figure.
How did we manage to buy used cars in the old days ?? That must have been a real gambling game with no DME reports available
What I fail to comprehend is, people still pay crazy money for older Porsches like 964 T, 993 TT's, CGT's Ferrari's, Lambos (stock /UGR TT's),M3's and M5's to name few and all that with out running any DME reports?

So how do they all do it?

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 02-22-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
People are still paying crazy money for 964 T, 993 TT's, CGT's Ferrari's, Lambos (UGR TT's) etc etc so how do they all do that with out getting the DME's
Finaly, LOGIC prevails

I am not crazy, I am not alone in my thinking.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

DME info is just more to consider in your buying decision. I considered it and was willing to take the risk of over revs and the car is running strong after 30,000 miles - these Mezger GT1 engines are very durable. People use these forums to report problems yet I don't see many posts about the GT1 engines cratering...not at all like the IMS issues reported in the M96 engines.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 07 in large part due to the reputation of the engine and the fact that it had low miles at the time of purchase; additionally, i mitigated my risk by getting an extended warranty for 4 years. DME is only part of the big picture in buying a used sports car
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

lic265 has added a great perspective. Acceptable risk... He mitigated his risk by getting a extended warranty. The DME report allow each person to evaluate the risk that someone needs or wants to absorb. If you don't care about the report. That's your option. My point of view is to mention that there is risk involved in buying used cars. For those that want to minimize the risk, one can look for cars with overRev with "0" in the 4, 5 and 6's.. I posted the DME report on a car that I looked at that was at a Porsche dealer. I wanted it to be CPO'd. Once I seen the DME report and the lack of passing the CPO test, I walked.

The 997.1TT engine shares the major components with it older 996TT engine. And we are seeing failures come up and bite owners. My advice is for caution and using lic265 point of view, reading and understanding the DME report allows one to mitigate the risk.

With that said, for myself and my customers, the engine rpm overRevs will add the highest level of risk for potential repairs vs mileage and tuning for higher power outputs.

C2 there are plenty of earlier 930, 965's and 993's with rods poked out of the engine case. Usually the owner would come clean and say "well, I thought I was going into third.. Must of hit first" With the DME report I can stay away from cars that had owners that missed shifts. For owners like yourself that already own these cars it's a moot point. My recommendations is allow new owners the options to understand that a DME report "might" impact there wallet in the future.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all great information, thanks to all!

What should the expectation be if I was to ask a seller if they can provide a DEM report? I assume if they don't have a recent one handy, it is on me (potential buyer), to pay for one to be produced?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Acceptable risk... He mitigated his risk by getting a extended warranty. .
and that exactly is my point...

Say having put several hundred hours on the engine pass the last over rev (with out any issues) or having an extended warranty that would only last 2-4 years (could damge show up 4 years later) what difference would that make?

or let me put it this way, does 4-6 over revs signifies, that the engine is/will be in trouble regardless of the miles since the last over rev?

I am not taking it personal but as a reference/logic, what's the risk involved in buying such a car that has already put several hundred engine hours or several thousand miles with out any issues?

Could damage to the engine show up years later? How?

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 02-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, this wear can pop up in later years.. Vario cam module, intake inlet tappet failures, timing chain, and rod/crankshaft failures have reared it's head miles down the road.

The failures from the picture that I posted were random. The customers didn't report a missed shift and then failure. It was a failure without a missed shift or overRev..

C2, you are a MD.. I liken this to a person has smoked. You tell him it's bad. He has warning labels that he can look at on the box. Does he get lung cancer?

C2, do you have Type 4, 5, and 6 overRevs??
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

07 The DME report is usually done at the PPI. A datalogger such as the one that I sell will display the engine hours and OverRev data. There are other tools on the market that will do the same thing.

You will want to look at the date stamp so that your report is a recent one.. Again, if you are having a pre purchase inspection done, make sure to ask for the DME report.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Your PPI guy more than likely will not have a PIWIS diagnostic tool. What will he be using the Durametric tool? Good luck, I happen to have such tool and my printed readout was different then the Porsche PIWIS Diagnostics tool readout. My 4,5 and 6 range hits counter showed 1(Glitch probably CAN-BUS). The Tech said that is not the "official readout" He said "what did you pay for that tool at Autozone", I said its not from Autozone. He replied this tool costs 20k and it’s licensed from PORSCHE. I asked him about the over rev thing he said I was fine. That was thru my dealer The Collection Miami. I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the tech about my car while he was replacing the OEM keys with the new updated keys. I have the pro Durametric tool its neat but full of glitches.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

I think 123 in range 4 and some in 3. However, car had a compression/leakdown performed several hundred engine miles later for some other reason which it passed. Car also has a 5/60K Fidelity Platinum extended warranty good thru end of 2016
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
or let me put it this way, does 4-6 over revs signifies, that the engine is/will be in trouble regardless of the miles since the last over rev?
Over revs in ranges 4-6, typically from a missed shift (ie, 2nd when 4th was intended) may or may not cause engine problems later on. Regardless, the real risk is that Porsche may deny warranty claiming engine abuse. Ranges 1-3 are from the rev limiter and shouldn't affect the engine or warranty. Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

okay how about these numbers?
Range 1 65,535
Range 2 28,007
Range 3 7,043
Range 4 1,352

The car has 40k miles on it and is modded with an Evoms 650 kit...

Quick Reply: Understanding this DME report?