Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013 | 03:32 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Here are more pics...

But the car and driver site still says 6 speed, operated by paddle shifters.
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:58 PM
phillipj
Drifting

cool Nick.. Thanks
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:59 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I have to agree.. It's just a matter of time before Porsche will not offer a manual anymore. But I do think it's way off still .
Old 02-19-2013 | 05:00 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by aa909
If true This would be very disappointing. Ferrari has pretty much done away with manuals and I think lambos will also go in this direction.

The move to 7-speed manuals and smaller engines is already in the wrong direction. Only hope is that demand from enthusiasts remains strong enough to justify the cost of produces two SKUs. IIRC BMW signaled a few years ago that M cars may only be offered with SMG in the future and there was an uproar in the US

But we may be the last generation that cares
LAMBOs still have a manual?

I think US enthusiasts is the ONLY group that keeps BMW and Porsche making manual cars. European drivers have surrendered to robots long ago, that is why M5 is not sold with manual there.
Old 02-19-2013 | 10:06 AM
kosmo
Race Director

its all about the money...
Old 02-19-2013 | 04:13 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

At the Baltimore Grand Prix last Summer the PCA had a hospitality tent and the top senior management including the CEO from Porsche AG were there to interact with the members. I asked them during a Q&A if Porsche would phase out the manual transmission in the near future and I received a resounding "no". My guess is it will become extremely limited but available for years to come.
Old 02-19-2013 | 05:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
LAMBOs still have a manual?

I think US enthusiasts is the ONLY group that keeps BMW and Porsche making manual cars. European drivers have surrendered to robots long ago, that is why M5 is not sold with manual there.
That's not what I gather. From my reading of UK car mags there still seems to be a preference for manual transmissions. With fuel costs so high and smaller engines, especially diesels, in favor car buyers prefer the more efficient and lighter manual equipped cars vs automatics.

It is the majority of the USA market that prefers automatics. I have not heard/read what the Chinese market prefers.

Additionally the EU and its onerous CO2 emissions limits and fuel mileage requirement is forcing all car makers to automatics.

The automatic be it a slush box or PDK or something else has a shift map that is rigged to deliver good read low CO2 emissions and good fuel economy. This helps to explain not only 6-speed, but 7-speed and even 8-speed automatics.

The automatic also takes the operator out of the picture.

While I doubt the manual transmission at least in Porsches will disappear entirely I can see a time when it will be an extra cost option.
Old 02-20-2013 | 09:28 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macster
That's not what I gather. From my reading of UK car mags there still seems to be a preference for manual transmissions. With fuel costs so high and smaller engines, especially diesels, in favor car buyers prefer the more efficient and lighter manual equipped cars vs automatics.

It is the majority of the USA market that prefers automatics. I have not heard/read what the Chinese market prefers.

Additionally the EU and its onerous CO2 emissions limits and fuel mileage requirement is forcing all car makers to automatics.

The automatic be it a slush box or PDK or something else has a shift map that is rigged to deliver good read low CO2 emissions and good fuel economy. This helps to explain not only 6-speed, but 7-speed and even 8-speed automatics.

The automatic also takes the operator out of the picture.

While I doubt the manual transmission at least in Porsches will disappear entirely I can see a time when it will be an extra cost option.
when i had a PDK, in normal mode, the dam thing would shift waaay to early. obviously for fuel savings at the expense of lugging the engine. Who upshifts at 1500rpm?!
Old 02-20-2013 | 11:40 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by kosmo
when i had a PDK, in normal mode, the dam thing would shift waaay to early. obviously for fuel savings at the expense of lugging the engine. Who upshifts at 1500rpm?!
In this case the PDK to game the EU CO2/fuel economy tests.

A cruder gaming was my 2001 Camaro and 2006 GTO both which had 6-speeds that skipped shifted from 1st to 4th under light acceleration. Who the heck shifts from 1st to 4th at IIRC barely 20mph? In the Chevy I just accelerated a bit harder and the skip shift was defeated. In the GTO I bought a Predator and disabled the damn feature.
Old 02-20-2013 | 12:46 PM
kosmo
Race Director

back to the supposed death of the stick, i think most are being paranoid. I believe it will be around for a while. It will cost you, but it will be around.
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:17 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. Looks like my 4.0 just went up in value a little bit.

Glad they kept the Mezger engine for racing. Does anyone race a DFI engine with success/longevity?
Old 02-21-2013 | 07:38 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Sweet car Cowhorn.... That is one of my favorites.....

Quick Reply: Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.