Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013 | 11:36 PM
speed21
Banned

Thumbs down Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.

It could be true.

Once Walter says he doesn't need it then....it's

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...214-2efl8.html
Old 02-18-2013 | 03:08 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
It could be true.

Such a shame, I passed up on a 'S' because of the PDK. It may get the car shifting easier and faster, but I find no difference with the auto-PDK over the oil-automatics which are crap to drive. Maybe good for those not willing to develop a little hand-brain coordination, but I think for sports cars, let's give the driver a sports trans, something maybe not found in the masses's array of conventional sedans, etc., but needed in a sports oriented car like a Porsche.
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:42 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Will not happen, this article is so full of 'if's' and 'maybe's' it reads like a tabloid.
And Walter is getting on in years, maybe his knees are getting to stiff to push the left pedal.
Old 02-18-2013 | 07:07 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by turbojohn
Such a shame, I passed up on a 'S' because of the PDK. It may get the car shifting easier and faster, but I find no difference with the auto-PDK over the oil-automatics which are crap to drive. Maybe good for those not willing to develop a little hand-brain coordination, but I think for sports cars, let's give the driver a sports trans, something maybe not found in the masses's array of conventional sedans, etc., but needed in a sports oriented car like a Porsche.
Being a manual driver at heart it would be bad day if/when the production switch is turned off on the manual tranny. Hopefully that day never comes. I will say though that the latest PDK is an incredibly well sorted gearbox but as good as it is I personally have my doubts to whether it would remain as interesting for the driver months and years on into the ownership. My feeling is not. Others may not agree and that is fine. But choice is good.

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Will not happen, this article is so full of 'if's' and 'maybe's' it reads like a tabloid.
And Walter is getting on in years, maybe his knees are getting to stiff to push the left pedal.
True, but the thought is obviously there. Whether it ever happens would need to be seen to be believed. I posted this article on 6 and the general view was Walter is merely saying what he is instructed to say which is the most logical conclusion. I mean from a marketing position having your main face to the product preaching to the masses that the manual is no longer necessary would have a spin-off amongst certain buyers and the new demographic buying the 991.

I personally don't think Walter is lying nor needs to lie, because the manual is indeed no longer necessary due to the PDK now being so efficient, but i'm sure if he was asked the same question over a beer, and outside of company earshot he may well give a different answer to what his own preference would be if he had the choice. That said he is getting on in years now and after countless laps of factory testing and pushing that rather heavy clutch pedal on these GT2 cars a PDK would be a very welcome option for his well worn left leg LOL.
Old 02-18-2013 | 07:57 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

I personally don't think Walter is lying nor needs to lie.
Agree 100% , but this article is not coming from Porsche, it's coming from a journalist who wants to have 'a story'.
It's not like Porsche issued a press release or anything of the sort.

And Walter is correct, in terms of performance and fuel economy a PDK is better.

Of course Porsche will stop offering manuals if nobody wants them anymore but I do not see that happening. On the contrary, I believe the manual will see a revival in the coming years.

Edit: from a selfish point of view I would hope the next turbo will only be offered in PDK, it will benefit manual 997 turbo value.

All my opinion of course. :-)

Last edited by TT-911; 02-18-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2013 | 09:25 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Being a manual driver at heart it would be bad day if/when the production switch is turned off on the manual tranny. Hopefully that day never comes. I will say though that the latest PDK is an incredibly well sorted gearbox but as good as it is I personally have my doubts to whether it would remain as interesting for the driver months and years on into the ownership. My feeling is not. Others may not agree and that is fine. But choice is good.
Well, since most 911s are bought with PDK (and before that with Tiptronic) and 911 sell so well, I presume people find them interesting even after years of ownership. I guess after some time you get used to a car, especially if it is DD, and then the manual gearbox does not feel particularly special anymore. Of course, if you drive manual 911 1000 miles a year, then maybe manual keeps its charm well.
Old 02-18-2013 | 09:28 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

On the contrary, I believe the manual will see a revival in the coming years.
I highly doubt that. Rather, there will be cars that drive automatically. They will have tiny force-fed engines as well. Everything for fuel efficiency and lower emissions.
Old 02-18-2013 | 09:41 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Hope you're right. Can't see any major marque going totally "auto".
Old 02-18-2013 | 10:18 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Hope you're right. Can't see any major marque going totally "auto".
It would be sad to see the manual go away but Ferrari, Maserati no longer have a manual available. I also heard that Lambo will nolonger offer a manual after the Gallardo is replaced
Old 02-18-2013 | 11:19 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fskof
It would be sad to see the manual go away but Ferrari, Maserati no longer have a manual available. I also heard that Lambo will nolonger offer a manual after the Gallardo is replaced
The brands you mention sell in low volume and, in my opinion, can't be compared to a volume producer like Porsche. Porsche sells more manual cars than total production of those 3 brands combined.
Old 02-18-2013 | 11:22 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
I highly doubt that. Rather, there will be cars that drive automatically. They will have tiny force-fed engines as well. Everything for fuel efficiency and lower emissions.
Hmm, thought this was a sportscar forum and more precise a Porsche forum.

Cars made for transport only will go electric and be completely automated but that is a different market which I was not referring to.
Old 02-18-2013 | 12:39 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Hmm, thought this was a sportscar forum and more precise a Porsche forum.

Cars made for transport only will go electric and be completely automated but that is a different market which I was not referring to.
OK, fair enough.

Still, I do not believe manual will have any significant rebirth in sportscar segment, even used.
Old 02-18-2013 | 12:45 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

It could be true.

If true This would be very disappointing. Ferrari has pretty much done away with manuals and I think lambos will also go in this direction.

The move to 7-speed manuals and smaller engines is already in the wrong direction. Only hope is that demand from enthusiasts remains strong enough to justify the cost of produces two SKUs. IIRC BMW signaled a few years ago that M cars may only be offered with SMG in the future and there was an uproar in the US

But we may be the last generation that cares
Old 02-18-2013 | 02:22 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

We will know soon when the GT3 debuts... Not looking good for 3rd pedal guys.
Old 02-18-2013 | 03:29 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

This from 911 and porsche world, my favorite UK publication...
Last few words from first page and first few words from second read:
"...for the first time in a cup car, the 6 speed dog type gearbox shifts via steering wheel paddles..."

This is in the official 2013 cup car. And in my view is a clear indication that even if there is a third pedal there, which I cant see in the picture, slowly slowly gear levers will disappear, and then the clutch will follow...

Quick Reply: Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.