Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The official Bilstein PASM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nick glad to hear your issue was not related to your bilsteins.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks dude.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Alex.M
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well... I have had these on my car for about 8 months on the softest setting with GT3 alignment. The drop is around 10mm - very subtle.
The ride is definitely firmer than stock but MUCH better than the Sport mode on stock suspension. I really don't think it's that bad.

Having said that, I may try stock shocks and Techart springs in a few months. Just to see how they compare.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex.M
Well... I have had these on my car for about 8 months on the softest setting with GT3 alignment. The drop is around 10mm - very subtle.
The ride is definitely firmer than stock but MUCH better than the Sport mode on stock suspension. I really don't think it's that bad.

Having said that, I may try stock shocks and Techart springs in a few months. Just to see how they compare.
Hi Alex, long time..

Is the novelty starting to wear thin then, or are the seat springs wearing out?

Btw what's the wife say about the ride of the coil overs?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speed21
Hi Alex, long time..

Is the novelty starting to wear thin then, or are the seat springs wearing out?

Btw what's the wife say about the ride of the coil overs?
I've read too many threads on Bilsteins and it's scary but I enjoy mine. I actually wish they were stiffer, even in sport mode.

My wife expected the "car to be rough". Not that I care but no complaints from any passengers.

I am happy with them for now until I see a failure.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Been DD in mine, crappy weather, bad roads, stop n go......thank Goodness I have the stock suspension!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by eurotom
I've read too many threads on Bilsteins and it's scary but I enjoy mine. I actually wish they were stiffer, even in sport mode.

My wife expected the "car to be rough". Not that I care but no complaints from any passengers.

I am happy with them for now until I see a failure.
Glad to hear you're still enjoying the ride Tom. Truly do. Me, well i've had my go with the roller coaster love hate relationship ride in a car like this. You may not know it but you deserve better. There were times i really convinced myself it was working for me ....and then i woke up. Just know there are better alternatives out there if that "love" wanes. As i said i got to ride in Nicks car in Athens and the ride was fine....far better than any crappy unresolved out of box Bilstein coil over set up. As Chris says, you'll get a few scrapes along the way but if that's not a problem then consider a set of H&R coils as an infinitely better (and more reliable) solution. Wife probably won't mind it either....and may love you more too lol. You can always choose your friends...

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Been DD in mine, crappy weather, bad roads, stop n go......thank Goodness I have the stock suspension!
Yep with those B/Steins I couldn't see too many prepared to do that exercise twice and keep a straight face. Stock is an absolute dream in comparison. I'm sharing that same loveee every day i drive her. GT3 which has basically the same set up is so resolved, so it just goes to show what Porsche sets as a minimum standard for that car. Not to say i'd be brave enough to DD a GT3 either but heck you've got to ask yourself how on earth did Bilstein manage to make such a mess out of its aftermarket product.... Incredible!!! You'd think it would be better given the phenomenal heads up Porsche has given them. I sure hope they're sending poor old cannga a case of scotch every xmas....and anyone else prepared to live with it or sing its praises. They sure as hell deserve it....and then some.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Case of scotch? They should formally put him on the payroll, talk about drinking the koolaid.
Yes, the car is an absolute pleasure as a DD.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Alex.M
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul,

Great to hear from you! The stock suspension is a little too soft, so I am trying different things here and there to find the perfect balance between handling and drivability. The Bilsteins are OK. They are much better than the stock suspension in Sport mode. Not as jarring, so I wouldn't trash it for no reason. Having said that, I will try stock shocks and Techart springs soon. I would like it to be a bit softer than the current coilover system and wouldn't mind a little more play between front and rear axle upon acceleration.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Having just H&R on my car on stock suspension I can tell you you will be impressed. Would love to hear your opinion once done, I think it will be an eye opener!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Yes, remember when champion track tested bilsteins vs hr springs, the springs were considerably faster.
My own track experience w bilsteins vs gmg was very unfavorable for the bilsteins.
What would be interesting would be the new tpc module with an otherwise stock suspension.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

What does the new tpc module do?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fskof
What does the new tpc module do?
The shocks in our TTs have valves that open and close when you go from normal to sports mode. So when you press sports mode the PASM actuates the internal valves in the shock absorber and closes them causing the shocks to stiffen. It's basically a hydraulic system that is either in normal mode or sports mode

IIRC The TPC system is an active dynamic system that modulates these valves depending on the motion of the car. So for example if you are cornering hard to the right then the system may stiffen the left shocks more while softening the right side. if you brake hard then the front shocks may stiffen more etc. People correct me if I'm totally wrong here.

BMW has an active steering system that does something similar but I think it incorporates some other mechanisms as well

While the TPC system seems very interesting my primary concern is how it impacts the longevity of the shocks. I don't know if the little valves inside the shock absorbers weren't designed for this kind of dynamic system with continuous actuation. I fear the TPC system may shorten the life of these valves and I'd like to see some long term testing first.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Case of scotch? They should formally put him on the payroll, talk about drinking the koolaid.
Yes, the car is an absolute pleasure as a DD.
Hang on... hold the phone. Are you saying he's not on the payroll? Ok better make that a container load of scotch then. One can just imagine the victims that have been snared after reading that fantasy. No wonder they haven't bothered to resolve the problems...

Sure is a pleasure in fact a monumental understatement if you were comparing against those B/S.

Originally Posted by Alex.M
Paul,

Great to hear from you! The stock suspension is a little too soft, so I am trying different things here and there to find the perfect balance between handling and drivability. The Bilsteins are OK. They are much better than the stock suspension in Sport mode. Not as jarring, so I wouldn't trash it for no reason. Having said that, I will try stock shocks and Techart springs soon. I would like it to be a bit softer than the current coilover system and wouldn't mind a little more play between front and rear axle upon acceleration.
Hey Alex. Stock may be considered (by some) a bit soft in normal but it's ideal for 99% of street. And, at least with the stock sports you can switch it off. With the B/S you are stuck between jittery rigid to solid rigid...with no respite either mode. If you like the lowered look and a better performance Champion rated the H and R as better riding and performing than the BS coil overs by a long shot. The lap times and driver impressions tell the story...no one can deny the tests.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The aftermarket Bilsteins lull you into a false sense of security. Mine were great and problem free for almost 2 years then I got the fatal PASM failure, and that was that, one of the wires had gone bad on the front. To their credit Bilstein repaired the shock under warranty. Apparently a common failure. But I got rid of them, I can't have that shiit on a 150k car, I demand reliability.

Quick Reply: The official Bilstein PASM Thread