Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$75-80K budget, thoughts on this Turbo????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default $75-80K budget, thoughts on this Turbo????

I was set on getting either a 2010 or newer CPO 997.2 S/4S with very low miles or order a 981 S exactly how I want it.

The 997.2 I am looking at is amazing- It has almost 4 years of warranty left with the CPO

http://www.fathers-sonsporsche.com/u...4f5040469c.htm

Then I notice at the same dealer they have this-

http://www.fathers-sonsporsche.com/u...c17f266469.htm

Same price obviously no warranty, but I have seen them close to the same price with a CPO. I do like having the 4 years of warranty from Porsche.

It is bad enough I was driving myself nuts over the New 981-S or 997.2-S, now I am doing research on the TT.

Any thoughts on that TT, I like that it was one owner, I have seen a few that have 3-4 owners, I am not a fan of that. Also I steer clear of anything that goes to Auction.

Also anyone own both and have an opinion, I am test driving them (If the weather is OK) on Thursday, also the Boxster.

Thank you

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your test drive should answer any question you have. If you are a torque junky you won't have a doubt in your mind in terms of which car to get. My recommendation is that unless you are seriously considering the TT don't test drive it, because if your heart was set on the 997.2 S then the TT will ruin it for you.

IMO there is no comparison between a 997.1 TT vs 997.2 S
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+1, The white C2S seems like a very good option (CPO + low miles). But it's tough to compare to the Turbo.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned both. Once you drive a properly set up turbo, forget all the rest.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What options, i see some carbon and adaptives which is good. PFS should be able to give you a much better rate than 8,9% in their ad.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you test the Turbo, press the little "SPORT" button, have some fun with the right pedal, then come back and verify all you have read in these posts. Have fun exploring your options. Best of luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

I've owned both as well and the TT comes out on top for many reasons. The one you are looking at is a one owner, low miliage car - which means he probably did not use it as a daily driver. It's come some nice options - stainless steel sills, adaptive sport seats, madagasgar wood on the steering wheel, gear shift, and dash trim. Somebody loved it. And the price looks good.

As per others here, go test drive them and report back!

I don't have warrenty left on mine but I actually not worried with this car. The TT's are relatively 'bullet proof' with some very rare problems in comparison with some of the other carrera models.

Have fun on Thursday. Looking forward to your follow up post.

Joel
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that TT is over priced at $77k.
I bought an 08 w/ similar mileage, 2yr CPO for under $80k.
Also there was an 07 higher mileage 33kish, remaining CPO for like $67 from a rennlister.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you give the Turbos a good spin you will see there is nothing else in the Porsche world to drive down the street.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

TURBO! Forget the rest! Nice car very low miles. About a year ago these cars were 80K+ My only concern is the seats. The leather is not perforated? I though all adaptive seats were perforated?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a great car to me.. Bet you can negotiate the price. Offer 72k..
Old 12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

A Turbo and a mid-engined S roadster are very different driving experiences. I doubt even with a test drive you'll get a sense of what it will be like to have both for the long term. One is a cushy, powerful touring, for a roadster purist type that could get boring after time. I personally would not replace one for the other. As for peformance, the 981S time sheets are basically the same as the standard 991. That makes the comparison between going GT or roadster a bit different this time around.

Also, what sort of car are you coming from?

I've always wanted the GT engine, too bad they limit which Carreras they put it in. The GT3 is not practical for many and the Turbo is very expensive which makes resale a factor needing consideration. But still a far far better second hand value than the non-GT1 997s. Albeit a little scary out of warranty. My indy said he had to replace an engine for one from apparently driver error on the track.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
dawich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I literally went through the same dilemma two weeks ago. I drove the '13 BoxterS, 997.1 4S and ended up with a 997.1TT. They were all great cars for sure considering I was coming from an '04 M3 Cab. But if was going to spend that much money I wanted to make sure that I bought the car that I have been lusting after for years. This is not a cranial decision. A Lexus or Honda purchase is. Go with the TT and have no regrets.
Best of luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great comments so far, I agree a test drive may not tell the full story, that is why I am trying to research as much as I can, I would hate to have buyers remorse, something tells me I would be happy with any of them.

A little more about my situation, I am trading in a Audi TT, I live in New England so I needed Quattro. I now have a 2012 Ram Crew Cab so no need for Quattro, although I did love it for Rain and Snow. Wife has a Minivan, I offered her to trade that in on a new Mercedes GL and she said she is fine with her van, have to love having a wife that is not materialistic at all. Anyway I also have a Modded Shelby Mustang that will remain my Garage Queen (About 3000 miles a year or so). This car will share DD with the Truck, but will see nice weather days as best as the weather channel predicts. I would say I will be putting about 8000 miles a year or so on it. I tend to like cars that are smaller, used to have a Mazda Miata years ago that I loved driving, although it was underpowered. I have the Shelby for days I need 500 RWHP that is why I was considering the Boxster.

Looking forward to driving them, I also agree this one is a little over-priced, but not much. The ones (At P-car Dealers) I have seen at this price or lower had multiple owners or went through an Auction, I really like 1 owner and the Options it has. I was thinking $74K or so would be a good deal, I will look into that after the test drive.

Thank you all, I will keep you updated.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

I'd get the Turbo and see how the new Boxster S shakes out from the sidelines. You might be able to get a second hand one at a big discount in a year or two from one of those "I gotta be the first to get the new thing" types who could care less about resale. They'll be onto something new in a year and that Boxster S, as far as performance, will by then become a screaming deal. Maybe this one will be up for sale:

Quick Reply: $75-80K budget, thoughts on this Turbo????