Sponsored by:

Removing rear wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing rear wing

If I buy a 997tt I'd like to remove the rear wing altogether (reinstall for trackdays). I have never been a fan of the wings on the 911 even though it's there for a reason. I guess the question is how detrimental would it be for daily sub 100mph driving. And how difficult is it to go back and forth?

I realize I could buy a non-turbo but I want the GT1 block.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may be one of very few people that want to do this.. So finding an answer may be difficult. I have never heard of a "rear wing delete" option for a 997 TT (or any TT for that matter) even in the aftermarket.

In my opinion the TT will look strange without some sort of rear wing.

You could always buy a 997 TT decklid (sans wing) from a junk yard or dismantler and have it painted. You will still have to deal the third talight issue.. Not to mention the DME warning on your dash when you disconnect the wing assembly..So as far as an easy "back and forth" I think you can forget about that..

It can be done...I guess the question would be..... Not only why but how bad do you really want it?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nota_troll
If I buy a 997tt I'd like to remove the rear wing altogether (reinstall for trackdays). I have never been a fan of the wings on the 911 even though it's there for a reason. I guess the question is how detrimental would it be for daily sub 100mph driving. And how difficult is it to go back and forth?

I think the TT spoiler is the least obtrusive of all the 997 spoilers. If you can find some way to remove I don't know how you'll fill in the holes left behind or get rid of the hydraulics that move the spoiler up and down. Maybe your solution is to retrofit a 997 rear deck lid in place of the TT lid but that has its problems too. Better to leave as is in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Addressing the detrimental question no one knows, for sure. (What I'm sure of though is someone has done it and nothing bad has happened (yet) so "do it" will come from someone.)

The car was developed/tested and arrived with the wing shape and its raising/lowering feature. It is an expensive setup and I'm pretty sure if Porsche could have left it off it would have.

I recall Audi released the TT sans a wing/spoiler only to have to fit one after cars were leaving the road due to aerodynamic issues.

If you remove it and drive at 100mph you could be the first to fly a 997 Turbo.

If you discount that risk then there is the concern about engine compartment cooling at speed sans the wing and the effect it has on forcing air through the engine compartment to blow away the considerable heat load. The fan is there when speed isn't enough to direct air flow through the very hot engine compartment.

Really in short you are venturing into uncharted territory.

As for the difficulty of going back and forth remove the setup and then reinstall it and you'll know.

BTW, one slip of your hand could have the spoiler drop and the car's body receive a nice dent or paint scratch. 'course with the car upside down in the sage brush or the engine compartment billowing smoke from a fire no one will likely notice a little old body dent or paint scratch.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
phillipj
Drifting

If you discount that risk then there is the concern about engine compartment cooling at speed sans the wing and the effect it has on forcing air through the engine compartment to blow away the considerable heat load. The fan is there when speed isn't enough to direct air flow through the very hot engine compartment.

Really in short you are venturing into uncharted territory.

As for the difficulty of going back and forth remove the setup and then reinstall it and you'll know.

BTW, one slip of your hand could have the spoiler drop and the car's body receive a nice dent or paint scratch. 'course with the car upside down in the sage brush or the engine compartment billowing smoke from a fire no one will likely notice a little old body dent or paint scratch.[/QUOTE]

Oh my.. And I thought I was terse..
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well it has been done

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...997-turbo.html

and I don't like it, but to each his own

Last edited by aa909; 11-19-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
well it has been done

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...997-turbo.html

and I don't like it, but to each his own
That's dead sexy!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan at all
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

That's dead sexy!

Looks OK...but you'll have a lot of work going "back and forth" as you indicated in your question.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I guess it is true: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Nice color but the rear end looks goofy.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Looks stupid...I'm not buying it..
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phillipj
Looks stupid...I'm not buying it..
Originally Posted by Macster
I guess it is true: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Nice color but the rear end looks goofy.
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Not a fan at all
Funny. I completely understand that you think the idea of me swapping the tail out is ridiculous but it looks like a plain 911 is one of the greatest designs. I love the simple look and clean lines of a wingless 911. That's all.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Have to agree with you. I wouldn't do it because I have no problem with spoiler but I think it looks good, same as on any other 911.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I Apologize for my comment that it looks "stupid". I agree that the 911 is beautiful without a wing. BUT the turbo has it's own character and stance. The front air dam, the side air inlets and the rear wing all work together to create one design. To remove any of these elements detracts from the beauty of that design.

But if you want to delete the wing that is your choice. If you do please post pictures!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my opinion would be of minority, but I have to say that I like the deleted tail 997 Turbo in the picture. Personally, I would not install the standard Carrera moveable spoiler but would install the Sport Classic ducktail.

And, yes, I'm weird.

Last edited by GT9111; 11-21-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Removing rear wing