Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much better will a Turbo be vs 2004 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM
mikefitz6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much better will a Turbo be vs 2004 911?

I have a 2004 cab that is pretty basic. It is a nice car. I live at 5000 ft in Colorado, so I do show some power loss up here. Any new sports car around here with a turbo is about as fast as my car. It also seems that most newer cars can corner as well as my car. I assume over the last 8 years since my car was made that the technology in suspensions has trickled down. I have standard U.S. soft suspension. Going up some mountain roads I will often have a sedan or even a pickup truck stay on my tail without difficulty. I know enrolling in a driving course would make me a better driver, but I am just interested in comparing cars only.

I have driven two 08 Turbos, so I know the acceleration is great. I am thinking a Turbo will negate the elevation issue I currently have. That fact will put an end to those annoying little Subaru WRX STi's (all sports cars are good, they are just annoying when I can't go faster than them!). I should also mention I have never really drag raced these cars on the highway. More like spirited acceleration to the posted speed limit on rare occasions when no traffic is present.

The Turbos also had a button for sport driving and city driving. I did not feel comfortable pushing these cars since I was not going to buy one at the time. That is why I have the following questions.

Does the AWD and selectable suspension of the Turbos allow better handling through the corners than my current 911? Can the same suspension advantages be found on a 2004 Turbo? Are there any other advantages to the 997.1 Turbos over a 2004 911 aside from kick butt acceleration and possible improved handling in the mountains? (Yeah, I know about the round headlight advantage....)

By the way, last fall I went to Phoenix (1500 ft) and could feel the difference in the acceleration of the car. The engine sounded better too. Moving to a lower elevation may actually be cheaper than a Turbo, but that is not going to happen. If anything we will probably move up to 6000 or 7000 ft. A coupe may be stiffer and faster, but my wife will only allow me to get a cab. I did mention to my wife that a 2010 911S may have just enough power boost at 385hp and suspension advantages to keep me happy. It would also have cheaper maintenance costs and insurance premiums. She told me that I would never be happy unless I got a Turbo. I guess I have no choice but to do what she says. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

At 5000 feet elevation you should get a Turbo if you can swing it. I was in Colorado Springs and pulled onto the freeway with my Boxster and got in a drag race with a older model turbo-charged Saab. My Boxster lost. To a NA engine, elevation is a b*tch.

With my 4.6l 200+hp Mustang I almost had to get out and push the car when crossing the higher (11K feet) passes on I-70.

No drag racing in my Turbo but I spent some time at even higher elevations -- than that of the Colorado Springs area -- and at nearly 9K feet (in Wyoming) the acceleration is incredible. And to make it even better the boost gage read 0.9 bar vs. the 0.7 bar down at sea level.

But over the same road, over the same passes, even a 90hp TDi ran like a billy goat making boost like crazy. It hardly felt affected by the higher elevation at all.

Turbo charging at sea level is very very nice. But at higher elevations it is almost a necessity.

Get the Turbo.

Last edited by Macster; 11-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefitz6
...She told me that I would never be happy unless I got a Turbo...
And you're still asking questions?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sport button also stiffens suspension FYI.
So aside from the over boost function (1.2 bar for 10 seconds) you get a remapped throttle for sharper response, and stiffer suspension. The turbo is also a 4 wheel drive. Based on the above, the difference in handling is there. But as you said, you cannot imagine what difference it will make to actually have a driving school. Treat yourself when you get the car, it is the best gift to help you understand the dynamics of your car.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an 06 C2 for a few years before i got my 07 TT. To answer your questions, the TT feels more pinned down in curves; to me the front end of the C2 felt light at times. The overall ride is also much better; something i noticed immediately living in New England and its poorly maintained roads.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefitz6
She told me that I would never be happy unless I got a Turbo. I guess I have no choice but to do what she says. :-)
Wife is a smart keeper.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the first time ever I must say "Listen to you wife"
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

"Listen to your wife" +1

I have a 2003tt and also a Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel truck. I was flat towing my jeep behind the Cummins over US 80 in the Sierras. I guess I was around 5500 feet and it was one of those 3 lane few miles long steeper climbs. I was in the fast lane, 6th gear and more then keeping up with traffic. I came up behind a 3 series BMW who was being a road pig. Flashed to pass and I saw tan smoke come out of the tailpipe, but not much happened. I kept on him and he finally yielded. I buried the the throttle and went right past him, never had to downshift. Showed 38 PSI of boost. A huge benefit of a turbo.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Went from an 06 C2S into the 08 Turbo. Very different cars. The Turbo feels more planted, more secure, and is astonishingly freight-train fast. Loved the C2S but never looked back.

Last edited by Zeus993; 11-15-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've spent a lot of time in the Sierra Nevada Mtns above 7000ft. The Turbo rocks at altitudes up to 10,000 ft!! If there is any power loss it is imperceptible to me.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike,

I live at 6500 feet near Morrison and drive my 997.1 almost daily. I also have an '84 Carrera Cab that notices the hikes up to the treeline, but on my morning journeys over Berthold or Loveland Passes in the Turbo, it is all the business of boost. I also have a Panamera 4S that has breathing problems with altitude, but it is such a beast, I barely notice it. If the wife has endorsed the turbo (as mine insisted on as well) might as well go for it. With the summer tires, it is not a performance vehicle in cold temperatures, but I have been caught out with one or two of our snowstorms and with care it got me home in fine style. I actually prefer to drive the 84 carrera when there is snow out. Feels better.

Good luck
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 PM
mikefitz6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the information. It will be some time yet before I really start to pursue a turbo, but I will keep my eyes open for that 'deal' if one comes up. Base on all your comments I know I will be happiest with the turbo.

When I post again it should with pictures.

robhamster - maybe I will see you in one of the Colorado porsche road events.

Mike

Quick Reply: How much better will a Turbo be vs 2004 911?