Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
No, everything remains the same.
How about the front sensor question?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:21 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I would not recommend front sensors for daily use. The car sits too low and they were constantly activating (tone). I had a kill switch installed that deactivated the front sensors during normal driving. When I approached a curb or other barrier I flipped the hidden toggle switch located under the dash "on" to ensure I wouldn't run-up on it. They worked well in that situation. I think it was $250 to have them installed.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Assume an aftermarket head unit will further depreciate your car vs. a Blue Tooth or Sat radio that integrates with the OEM set up.
that's silly. Put a $1000 unit in your car to bring it to the next decade and it depreciates the car? Keep the OEM stereo and if the next owner wants to go back to 2007 tech, they are more than welcome
Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I would not recommend front sensors for daily use. The car sits too low and they were constantly activating (tone). I had a kill switch installed that deactivated the front sensors during normal driving. When I approached a curb or other barrier I flipped the hidden toggle switch located under the dash "on" to ensure I wouldn't run-up on it. They worked well in that situation. I think it was $250 to have them installed.
So the 997 is lower than the 991? Or any of the other cars like a mclaren, ferrari, or bugatti with front sensors?

This seems strange. What brand sensor did you use?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:31 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
So the 997 is lower than the 991? Or any of the other cars like a mclaren, ferrari, or bugatti with front sensors?

This seems strange. What brand sensor did you use?
I don't know if the 997 is lower nor do I recall the brand. The sensors were installed in the grill (vs. higher on a bumper) which caused them to sense too much of the road resulting in false activations. The installer warned me this might happen, perhaps I should have listened.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I don't know if the 997 is lower nor do I recall the brand. The sensors were installed in the grill (vs. higher on a bumper) which caused them to sense too much of the road resulting in false activations. The installer warned me this might happen, perhaps I should have listened.
Ah so that was the issue. It's not because the car is too low, you didn't put them in the right place. Did he at least offer to drill them into your bumper?

But something else you could try is the curb alert system. It's very simple and plugs into the battery. I used it on my shelby. Worked good. But it's only useful for detecting impact directly in front of you, so literally front parking curbs. Won't go off for things at the side of your car.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:10 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Recently had the Pioneer Avic Nex 8000 installed in my '08.
Also downloaded the Apple Car Play firmware.
Appreciating the upgrades compared to the PCM 2.1 and personally, I think the look is seamless and appears OEM.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Appreciating the upgrades compared to the PCM 2.1 and personally, I think the look is seamless and appears OEM.
That's EXACTLY what i'm going to get. Well still on the fence with Alpine. Will tackle this battle once Spring is in full swing. Did you not look for the piano black trim to replace the silver/grey?

That Pioneer system is supposed to be awesome, loved the videos and reviews with apple play.

Did you have someone install it? what did it run? I hope you picked the unit up off Amazon... it goes for 1/2 retail on there
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
That's EXACTLY what i'm going to get. Well still on the fence with Alpine. Will tackle this battle once Spring is in full swing. Did you not look for the piano black trim to replace the silver/grey?

That Pioneer system is supposed to be awesome, loved the videos and reviews with apple play.

Did you have someone install it? what did it run? I hope you picked the unit up off Amazon... it goes for 1/2 retail on there
Never considered the black fascia trim although it is available to match MY 2009+ that normally feature black trim.
Purchased as package from Del Rey Customs in CA along with Sirius module and adapter to interface the car's Bose amp. Had install completed locally. Wasn't cheap.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 912 Posts

That trim piece looks nice and very OE...
Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks nice, does the info screen under the tach still work?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Looks nice, does the info screen under the tach still work?
All functions but radio station and nav info.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:20 PM
poparelly
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The install looks great. The screen is pretty busy though. Is there a more minimal setting that looks a little cleaner?

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Old 03-17-2015, 11:22 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poparelly
The install looks great. The screen is pretty busy though. Is there a more minimal setting that looks a little cleaner?
That's a picture of the home screen.
After 30 seconds or so, the screen will revert to your chosen mode ie: radio, nav map, phone, etc.
BTW: the Porsche logo in the background is something I added and, apart from the stock backgrounds, you can add literally any background you want as a .jpg image.
Hope this helps.
Also, there's plenty of videos on YouTube about this unit if you want more info.

Quick Reply: Replaced my PCM 2.1 with Pioneer Nav System