Sponsored by:

Replaced my PCM 2.1 with Pioneer Nav System

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Replaced my PCM 2.1 with Pioneer Nav System

I've decided to keep my 07 and mod it. The first thing I did was replace my PCM 2.1 with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH Nav system that includes: 7" full color touch screen (no dials or *****) display, NavTech GPS mapping, Bluetooth, MP3, iPod, HD radio, Traffic alerts/reroutes, single CD/DVD, voice commands, and AM/FM. I also added SiriusXM, a back-up camera and steering wheel controls. The dealer I used installs a lot of these systems and had all of the equipment and face plates to make the system look factory even down to the Porsche logo on white background during start-up. What a difference and highly recommended! Very simple to use and the mode interfaces actually make sense. Based upon my research this is the best system on the market and it's made for a Porsche (uses existing wiring harness, Bose amps, speakers etc. and it's completely reversible if I decide to eventually sell the car with/without the Pioneer system). I'll post pictures in a day or two.

Next is a Europipe and an ECU reflash (softronic?).

Last edited by 4ocious; 10-15-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds awesome.. Would love to see pictures... For your ECU tune I would go with Protomotive or Softronic.. The Proto tune will give you more file revisons (five I believe where softronic is two or three) at no charge as you mod the car.. Which it sounds like you will be doing..
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering the same route myself. Sounds great! Yes, pics please!

As far as tunes go, I'd recommend FVD. They're based in Germany, have been tuning Porsches exclusively for 28 years, and you get endless free program revisions if you buy the parts from them, which they continue to discount to their loyal customers. Their process is very similar to Softronic's, or, I should probably say, Softronic's is like FVD's--you send your stock file via email; they email back the stock file and the tuned file. You can reload either at any time, and the program count never changes. They program in the same (binary) language as Porsche. The program resides in the same area of the ECU as Porsche's. All of the sampling rates from the various sensors remain the same, and all safety mechanisms are kept intact. They are on the conservative side, in that they prefer reliability over maximum power. They also sell every part you could need, including their own stroker and other rebuilding kits. They use OE parts and suppliers where possible. Their service is also top notch--Rhonda is a pleasure to work with, and Mr. (*****) Brombacher himself has talked to me on a couple of occasions when I had questions. Highly recommended!

Louis
Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I like this too but am not prepared to lose all the center display info (under tach) Looks good though.

Last edited by TT-911; 12-15-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, FWIW, my install looks exactly like yours.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by L_perm
Considering the same route myself. Sounds great! Yes, pics please!

As far as tunes go, I'd recommend FVD. They're based in Germany, have been tuning Porsches exclusively for 28 years, and you get endless free program revisions if you buy the parts from them, which they continue to discount to their loyal customers. Their process is very similar to Softronic's, or, I should probably say, Softronic's is like FVD's--you send your stock file via email; they email back the stock file and the tuned file. You can reload either at any time, and the program count never changes. They program in the same (binary) language as Porsche. The program resides in the same area of the ECU as Porsche's. All of the sampling rates from the various sensors remain the same, and all safety mechanisms are kept intact. They are on the conservative side, in that they prefer reliability over maximum power. They also sell every part you could need, including their own stroker and other rebuilding kits. They use OE parts and suppliers where possible. Their service is also top notch--Rhonda is a pleasure to work with, and Mr. (*****) Brombacher himself has talked to me on a couple of occasions when I had questions. Highly recommended!

Louis
Are they on the web?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Are they on the web?
Yes. www.fvd.net

I'm not affiliated, by the way. Just a satisfied customer who did quite a bit of research for myself.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4ocious, how does the Pioneer sounds as compared to stock? Is the nav good? Is there a special harness that you used to interface with the stock amps ? Is the faceplate around the Pioneer custom or can it be purchased ?
Reason i ask is that it sounds plug and play....
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Hi lic265, yes, it sounds a lot better I think because the electronics are modern and up-to-date. The Nav quality and easy to use interface is what you would expect from any portable high-end Garmin or Magellan system. The wiring harness is plug-n-play, no modifications or cutting required. Again, the install is completely reversible (I kept my OEM unit if I decide to sell/trade the car later). BTW, it also fits the Caymen, Boxster and Cayenne center console stacks too. I also had my iPod cable placed in my glovebox but it can also be placed in the center console.

I can put you in-touch with my dealer who carries the faceplate, it matches my other OEM faceplates and looks factory. IMO this is one of the nicest and cleanest installs I've ever seen, but I am a little biased, lol!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the cost on this?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trevor9098
What was the cost on this?
The whole package was $2,100 installed. But, I added SiriusXM, a back-up camera and steering wheel control which added an additional $600.00. I paid $1,100 for the more expensive unit (7" display) vs. $850.00 for the same unit (same capabilities except 6.1" display and rotary volume control ****) because I wanted steering wheel volume and tuning control. You can buy them on-line NIB through Amazon or on eBay for approximately $850.00 and $700.00 respectively. BTW, Pioneer is offering a $100.00 rebate through the end-of-the year which also influenced my decision.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
AreaOne
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Like "Denis with his turbo"stated
"I like this too but am not prepared to lose all the center display info (under tach)"

Is there any information still viewable under the tach, if so what is it?

Last edited by AreaOne; 10-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

I don't know what Denis is referring to, the display under my tach works fine and displays all of the required OEM functions/selections. In fact, all of my OEM displays/functions are working properly.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:29 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have navigation arrows in the center display ??
Or the radio station name ?
To just name two. I was told you lose navigation or radio info when going aftermarket. Would be great if this is untrue.

Last edited by TT-911; 10-19-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Do you have navigation arrows in the center display ??
Or the radio station name ?
To just name two. I was told you lose navigation or radio info when going aftermarket. Would be great if this is untrue.
Hi Denis, I have NAV arrows in the center display, again it's a NavTech GPS system that easily programs just like any other Nav system on the market today.

Yes, I can display the radio station name, I also have 16 AM/FM pre-sets, a single CD, iPod, Bluetooth, MP3 and can play a DVD if I want.

Totally untrue, I lost nothing and gained a lot! But, other systems may not be as capable and compatible which may be the source of the loss of functionality comments. However, the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH system I bought interfaces directly with the existing PCM 2.1 wiring harness. ALL of my original PCM 2.1 capabilities were retained even down to user selectible backlit colors (I chose white which matches my other display colors). I did a lot of research and found this system to be the best your $$$$ can buy for a 997 with the PCM 2.1 system.

Last edited by 4ocious; 10-20-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Replaced my PCM 2.1 with Pioneer Nav System