Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads, how many miles do they last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Twinturbom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads, how many miles do they last?

on a 997.1 TT when did you replace

front pads / front discs?

rear pads / rear discs?

I ve only replaced rear pads @ 16k miles.

I wonder when the front will get new pads and rotors
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13000 miles here still on original brakes. Car five years old now, mind you I tend to drive like the district nurse.

You will surely get two sets of pad's out of one disc (rotor) just get them cleaned up with a minimal skim at a machine shop when you go to fit new pads. There is usually a generous margin for refacing rotors and staying inside the permissable thickness unless the brakes have been absolutely butchered.

Rob.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
on a 997.1 TT when did you replace

front pads / front discs?

rear pads / rear discs?

I ve only replaced rear pads @ 16k miles.

I wonder when the front will get new pads and rotors
No experience with the 997 but with my 996 the car now has around 98K miles and is on its original pads/rotors. Oh they are cast iron too, not PCCBs.

The wear sensors will let you know when its time to replace the pads. Then you check the rotor thickness and condition and replace the rotors or leave them in service based on what you find.

If you find abnormal wear, very uneven wear from side to side or other signs of trouble you or a qualified tech needs to look into the cause and address.

If you track your car you should not run, you should avoid running the pads down to the point the wear light comes on but instead inspect the pads before each session and replace them if they are getting close.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
No experience with the 997 but with my 996 the car now has around 98K miles and is on its original pads/rotors. Oh they are cast iron too, not PCCBs.

The wear sensors will let you know when its time to replace the pads. Then you check the rotor thickness and condition and replace the rotors or leave them in service based on what you find.

If you find abnormal wear, very uneven wear from side to side or other signs of trouble you or a qualified tech needs to look into the cause and address.

If you track your car you should not run, you should avoid running the pads down to the point the wear light comes on but instead inspect the pads before each session and replace them if they are getting close.

Sincerely

Macster.
98k on original brakes, that's incredible. Parts may be expensive but they obviously last.

Rob.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
98k on original brakes, that's incredible. Parts may be expensive but they obviously last.

Rob.
Prices are not that bad. Suncoast has a set of front rotors priced at $460ish I think. My ca had 34K on it when I bought it and the original parts were good but I put on new rotors along with track oriented pads for good measure.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Twinturbom3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster

Sincerely,

Macster.

may I call you the FLINTSTONES? do you brake with your feet
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! Macster clearly follows the Mario Andretti policy of "never lift [off the gas pedal]"
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

At the other end of the spectrum.........I got 4,000 miles and 5 1/2 track days on my last set of oem pads. Typically go through two sets of pads before changing the rotors. I just plan on two sets of pads and a new set of rotors every season. Best,
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Twinturbom3
Advanced

bump....
Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

From where I don't recall now or when, but it has been a long time ago, I was made aware of and have adapted a braking technique that has over the years allowed me to get some pretty good life from my cars' brake hardware.

Oh, and I can assure you it does *not* involve using the engine (for engine most often it is the clutch) to slow the car down. My cars' clutch life is equally long lived. 260K miles on the Boxster's original clutch and the Turbo's clutch is original as well at miles approaching 100K.

Also, over the years I have found some variability in brake hardware life. For example, initial brake life was quite good with my Boxster but the replacement pads went away in much less time even though my driving style remained the same.

Subsequent brake jobs had the service life better or back down to not so good. This last set of pads/rotors on the Boxster has delivered impressive life and I can't recall how long ago, how many miles back I did the brakes.

Make fun all you want, cast dispersions on my brake life but in the meantime I get to spend more time behind the steering wheel enjoying driving my cars vs. more time along side the wheels doing the brakes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Twinturbom3
Advanced

997 TT owners, at which mileage did you replace your brakes?

Quick Reply: Brake pads, how many miles do they last?