Sponsored by:

From a micro car to a mini car: OT new toy

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:07 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default From a micro car to a mini car: OT new toy

I have been contemplating changing my Smart Brabus car for a few months, as my kids have grown old enough and I need rear seats for the occasional short trip...

My little smart car has been with me for 8 years! That is not an affair anymore, its a relationship, and its the longest I have had with any of my cars. They came and went, but the Smart was a constant value. And it was an amazing little car. Not only for parking vertically (!) but also because that little three cylinder turbo drove excellent. The Brabus package was really what set it apart, and it always made me smile when I drove it and had to punch it!

So as you realize these were hard shoes to fill. The new car had to be an automatic for city driving, small enough, and funky, with an interesting interior, had to have forced induction - life is too short to drive cars without it.

There were two contenders. A VW Polo which on this side of the pond comes with a 1.4lt engine and 180 whopping horses, turbo and supercharged. But a bit bland. Inside and out. And not a convertible. Nice gearbox and all, and german craftmaship...

And a fiat 500. So when I came across an Abarth convertible which is the only version that comes with an auto box, priced right for the Greek crisis (and an amazing trade in price for the smart) I jumped on it.

Picked it up Friday! Funny little thing. Sports button on, steering wheel paddles, and a steering wheel thick enough to make my TT blush... White with grey top, took the red stripes off from the sides, not my style, dark wheels like I like them... Yes some Italian craftmanship and some horror stories going around, but who cares (famous last words). It looks great! Drives good enough with 140hp (you guys get a 160hp version in the US) spins its wheels like mad when taking off, but shifts gears better than the tip - or shall I say faster... Not teeth jarring harsh either and that was a pleasant surprise.

Here is my outgoing relationship...

And the incoming affair...

Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Fun little car Nick, love the Abarth.
Someday I hope to find a perfect old Abarth too (125TC) but chances are slim.

Anyway, I too bought a new DD last week and hope to collect end of this week. Will post some pic's when I get it. It's coming from Germany but built in Spain.

Last edited by TT-911; 09-24-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Well it's not a Hispano Suiza I am sure so it has to be a Seat...
Cupra?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Not Seat, built in Spain but not Spanish.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 589 Posts

These are HUGE hit here in our city. They're great little cars and have really given Mini Cooper a run for their money. Nice purchase Nick!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Not fair. Too many factories building cars in Spain...

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/emcc/automotivemap/

Thanks Zeus! Its quite enjoyable actually.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

At first I wanted to say 'made in Barcelona, the civilized part of Spain' but then I noticed Seat is made in the Barcelona area as well.
I had a look at your link and my 'vehicle' (note I did not use the word 'car') isn't even listed.
The last hint and you will know, in the US of A it is also build and sold under a different name.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice I like the color scheme reminds me of a GT3RS
Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Thx Tom. Had Abarth red stripes on the sides but I removed them... prefer the clean look.

Denis I give up. When is it due? You said the vehicle is a DD?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Should have it next Monday , will post pictures immediately.
Yes DD for me. It's a 4X4 and something many use as a DD in the US, a pickup truck.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Love that Fiat 500, especially the Abarth, which is the only version I would have. Head lights are so 993.

When gas hits $10 a US gallon, I will have one. Meanwhile, TT is daily driver.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

LoL.
You have any idea how much gas is here? (Greece)...
How about Eur 1.9/ltr = Eur 9.5/gallon = $11.87/gallon.

Notice on my sig the LPG conversion? Hottest thing. Big tank in the trunk, filled with LPG, priced at 50% of gas! My 3.7 Cheorkee costs me less to drive than the Abarth! More like the Smart. Amazing...

;-)
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Holy crap Nick! In Canada we're a hair over $6.00 / US gallon for 94 octane ethanol-free. No wonder you've reached for the 500.

In regrards to being great to drive, I know what you mean. These little things can be fun. They also make you appreciate the TT when you get back into it. I've considered a Mini Cooper S or a 4wd Clubman for a DD but my DD I only 8 minutes. Just time enough for to romp it down the back streets. So no big weekly gas expense for me.

One of my biggest expenses in a city that is under constant construction is tires. I'm in today for what looks to be a repairable slow nail leak in my right rear. But I've gone through 2 sets of right front and rear tires in past years. These wide-*** low profile pick up everything that gets pushed to the curbs.

Ah... The joys of P-car ownership. Wouldn't trade it for anything else. Love the idea of an additional smaller DD beater that I can throw the dogs in and head to the beach etc...
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Well I am about 2 miles from home too, so fuel is not a big issue for me. But the Greek crisis has made me need to hide the TT, which is very annoying and a great shame.

However, there are 2 ways to shop for a DD. One is that gets the job done, and the other is the one that also puts a smile on your face. So, to achieve pt 2, it had to have forced induction. This however is not the cheapest solution, and thus not prone to being thrown to the dogs or to sit on the seats with salty bathing suites! There is a different type of car for that...

Now regarding the tires, well the 911 is the wrong example... It eats through them like butter... The Smart, due to its weight and electronics was perfect. The Abarth due to power and front wheel drive will be a pain I forsee.

Just keep in mind if you take the TT in "spirited" (read ridiculous speeds) runs, dont repair tires, as in extreme speeds - and thus heat, they could react badly...
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Yep. Understood Nick. Sorry to hear about having to hide the TT. Crazy. I don't know about you but I find the BEST time to drive is on the weekends at day break when the roads of relatively car and PO free. Love it and no need to hold back.

Quick Reply: From a micro car to a mini car: OT new toy