Sponsored by:

Does water wetter mix with porsche coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does water wetter mix with porsche coolant

I just had two bottles of redline water wetter added to my system after having a weeping coolant hose replaced.

My reason for adding was due to the science behind the product and although I don't push my car hard I am aware of the heat a TT generates and thought it would be advantageous overall.

I have since read that some guys have added this and it has reacted to the coolant creating a slimey gel? that can can gum up the thermostat and other parts of the system. Apparently it is only really effective when used with water only.

I don't really mind now that it's in if it doesn't lower the temps as much as claimed but will it react with the Porsche coolant?

Does anyone use this with thier coolant on their 997?

Rob.
The following users liked this post:
EHP Racing (10-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
I just had two bottles of redline water wetter added to my system after having a weeping coolant hose replaced.

My reason for adding was due to the science behind the product and although I don't push my car hard I am aware of the heat a TT generates and thought it would be advantageous overall.

I have since read that some guys have added this and it has reacted to the coolant creating a slimey gel? that can can gum up the thermostat and other parts of the system. Apparently it is only really effective when used with water only.

I don't really mind now that it's in if it doesn't lower the temps as much as claimed but will it react with the Porsche coolant?

Does anyone use this with thier coolant on their 997?

Rob.
I use it - no problems - here's what Redline says:

Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Can't answer your question, but I would not have gone further after addressing the problem by replacing the hose.

I just check the oil level about every 10 engine shutoffs, monitor tire pressures as the ambient temps change, get service done when due, and drive.

These are not fussy super cars.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use it with no issues.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I used it in my AMG's, no problems, the did seem to run 10-15 degrees cooler.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Glad to hear some are using it got a fright when it was suggested the silicon content gels up when mixed with porsche coolant. Are you guy's using one or two bottles in your system?

I put two in the 997 due to the fact it's a 22ltr system. Can't see it being a problem as you could actually run it 50/50 from what I understand.

Rob.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Glad to hear some are using it got a fright when it was suggested the silicon content gels up when mixed with porsche coolant. Are you guy's using one or two bottles in your system?

I put two in the 997 due to the fact it's a 22ltr system. Can't see it being a problem as you could actually run it 50/50 from what I understand.

Rob.
Hope WW's lack of additives that help the water pump seal survive doesn't result in a shortened water pump life.

I'll point out that Porsche has racked up thousands, hundreds of thousands of miles in test cars at speed in the high ambient temps of South Africa and the southwestern USA using Porsche anti-freeze/distilled water without seeing any overheating issues.

Not sure what you hope to fix that ain't broken with WW.

My opinion is that unless one is using his car at a track/facility that forbids anti-freeze due to safety concerns and instead requires say WW, he should stick with Porsche coolant mixed with the proper amount of distilled water.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM
itsmeek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had no issues with the GT-R, the 700ish HP DSM, turbo e36 m3, or the e55/c32. Not sure if it was needed in any of the cars except for the DSM. Wouldn't risk it on a Porsche, the GT-R came with it and no issues.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Hope WW's lack of additives that help the water pump seal survive doesn't result in a shortened water pump life.

I'll point out that Porsche has racked up thousands, hundreds of thousands of miles in test cars at speed in the high ambient temps of South Africa and the southwestern USA using Porsche anti-freeze/distilled water without seeing any overheating issues.

Not sure what you hope to fix that ain't broken with WW.

My opinion is that unless one is using his car at a track/facility that forbids anti-freeze due to safety concerns and instead requires say WW, he should stick with Porsche coolant mixed with the proper amount of distilled water.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Hard to believe that 24 ounces out of 8.45 gallons would make a difference...either good or bad.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Hard to believe that 24 ounces out of 8.45 gallons would make a difference...either good or bad.
Well, you are using 24 ounces of WW in 8.45 gallons of water in place of 4.25 gallons of Porsche anti-freeze mixed with 4.25 gallons of water assuming a 50:50 ratio of water to anti-freeze.

You must believe that 24 ounces of WW not only provides some cooling benefit over and above what the OE fluid does and yet at the same time provides whatever it is in the anti-freeze that Porsche deems necessary.

If it does, that is some impressive 24 ounces of fluid.

If it doesn't, why use WW?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

My apologies Macster I may have misled you in the way I have written this. Some people do opt for 50/50 ratio of WW/water.

I have added two bottles of WW to my system that has it's original 22 lts OEM coolant/ water. I was just wondering if it would mix with the Porsche coolant without any adverse affects and wanted to pick the brains of those that used this product.

The science behind it is impressive and the company (redline) claim compatibilty with all base coolants but you can't beat direct experience and why these forums are so valuable IMO.

Like you I am convinced that the OEM system is sufficient but if you study the way this product works you will see it can potentially mitigate against any localised "hot spots" the cooling system by nature would allow because of it's claimed ability to disperse heat in this context far more effectively than any other fluid medium - I mean coolant not rival products -.

The N/A 997.1 for instance is by design intrinsically predisposed to hot spots like this hence cylinder scoring suffered in pot five and six. I know the conventional explanation for this by engine builders in the UK is flaws or inefficiency in the standard cooling system which was taken over from smaller displacement / older designs.

Hope this clarifies things.

Rob.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You learn something every day. I didn't know WW could be added to antifreeze. Interesting. Still, it's going to be slippery when it hits the tires, so it really needs to be added to distilled water, not a coolant mix.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Rob WW is simple to make.. Glycerine and red dye and distilled water... Go to the local drug store and purchase the Glycerine. The science behind it is reducing the surface tension. The testing that has been done have shown that running 60% water, 40% standard coolant will equal the same results. The reason>>> the coolant manufactures add there own wetting agents. Google is your friend.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

My apologies Macster I may have misled you in the way I have written this. Some people do opt for 50/50 ratio of WW/water.

I have added two bottles of WW to my system that has it's original 22 lts OEM coolant/ water. I was just wondering if it would mix with the Porsche coolant without any adverse affects and wanted to pick the brains of those that used this product.

The science behind it is impressive and the company (redline) claim compatibilty with all base coolants but you can't beat direct experience and why these forums are so valuable IMO.

Like you I am convinced that the OEM system is sufficient but if you study the way this product works you will see it can potentially mitigate against any localised "hot spots" the cooling system by nature would allow because of it's claimed ability to disperse heat in this context far more effectively than any other fluid medium - I mean coolant not rival products -.

The N/A 997.1 for instance is by design intrinsically predisposed to hot spots like this hence cylinder scoring suffered in pot five and six. I know the conventional explanation for this by engine builders in the UK is flaws or inefficiency in the standard cooling system which was taken over from smaller displacement / older designs.

Hope this clarifies things.

Rob.
Well, at the risk of stirring up things I do not agree with the findings (if dare call them that) of some that attribute scoring to hot spots in Porsche engines.

I suspect what has happened is as always happens is a few engines leave the factory with manufacturing defects of some kind that result in scoring or some other symptom/problem that looks like overheating is to blame when it is not the root cause.

There are of course companies at the ready with suggested fixes and which are only too happy to perform.

In one case installing a low temp t-stat is one such 'fix'.

Apparently the owner who does this hopes to protect the 'hotter' cylinders at the expense of making the other cylinders run too cold.

Let's see... run one or (possibly) two hotter than normal cylinders cooler at the risk of running 5 or 4 cylinders that run at normal temps too cold?

Or risk main/rod bearing longevity or valve train life in the hopes of preserving an abnormal cylinder or two, assuming they are truly abnormal which I do not at this time accept.

For those owners whose cars are under warranty the advise is to believe it or not avoid hard acceleration until after the warranty period is over and then having installed a low temp t-stat.

Water cooling systems is not new technology even though of course Porsche is late to the water cooled engine world adapting it in the late '90s with its 986/996 engines and ignoring the 4/8 cylinder water cooled engines of the 924/944/968/928 models which I have not followed that closely but I do not recall reading/hearing about any real cooling issues arising from any cooling system shortcomings, so it would appear Porsche grasped/mastered the basics of good water cooling system design/implementation even before the 986/996 engines debuted.

It has been known for some time is what ensures no localized overheating occurs due to steam pockets forming is the cooling system must be able to maintain pressure when the coolant is at its hottest.

Pressure keeps the hot coolant from boiling (flashing to steam). Distilled water would suffice but cooling system corrosion would be horrific -- it is bad enough with anti-freeze -- take a look at a modern engine's coolant passages and see the dead looking gray/rough surface that develops -- and water pump seals would suffer.

Also, of course, there would the risk of this distilled water freezing which if it did freeze (and it would in no time when temps drops below freezing) this would wreck havoc on the engine.

It pains me to read posts by owners whose cars show signs of cooling system issues -- belching/burping coolant to name some symptoms -- and believe the solution is driving around with the pressure relief valve open when there is a real pressure leak already in the system. In the older models it was the early coolant tank cap, but it can be a coolant tank or a water pump or some other component leaking.

Anyhow, it is your car. If you believe WW has some superior cooling chemistry that has not been incorporated into anti-freeze and are prepared to go against Porsche's guideline to abstain from using any cooling system additives then use WW and with I hope only good results.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Interesting comments macster. I haven't purposely rejected any Porsche info I actually didn't realise they recommend no additives. I thought a company like redline who have a good reputation with oil etc would not be able make public declarations and advertisements about products that were not as benificial as they claim.

I was merely trying to be kinder to the car by paying out for an addition product conducive to dispersing heat more effectively.

When better educated and more experienced people like yourself and Kevin explain and legitimise things in the manner you both have then I and anyone else that takes an interest in the topic are all the wiser for it.

Of course your right, the system is effective from the factory. I have owned two 997 previously and never used WW with no issues (as you would expect)
I just thought since I had to replace a hose anyway and had to top up the system that I would treat the cooling system with a product I honestly thought would be advantageous.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience for my benifit. One final point. Do you think I would be better to run of the coolant and flush the whole system replacing it with fresh coolant to OEM spec or will there be no real harm done with it in the system for a while.?

Rob.

Quick Reply: Does water wetter mix with porsche coolant