Sponsored by:

I'm Disappointed in My TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default I'm Disappointed in My TT

I'm disappointed in my 07 TT when compared to my previous CLK63 AMG Black Series. It doesn't seem as fast, it doesn't handle as well, it's too tame, it's too predictable, accleration is too linear (not explosive), and it's boring to drive.

The saying goes "When you turn your car on, it should turn you on". I always looked forward to the excitement of driving my BS but I don't with my TT. The BS is edgy and brutal and you know you're in a driver's performance car. I don't get than feeling in my TT. It's too bad because the TT is a lot of great things but it doesn't measure up/compare to the BS.

Normally I would try to "improve" my car by adding an exhaust, ECU reflash, shocks etc. but I don't think I'll do that this time. I move through cars too quickly and I always lose money on the mods.

So, what are my choices/options?

1. Find a low mile un-molested BS,drive it and objectively re-compare it to my TT, not a bad idea, but I've already owned a BS,
2. Wait for a used 2012 C63 AMG BS (some say it better than the CLK63 AMG BS) maybe, but it's smaller,
3. Buy a 2011/12 Turbo S, that's a good option from what' I've read and seen posted on this board,
4. Wait for the new 911 Turbo, not a lot of info on this yet,
5. Try to "improve" my current TT, probably the least expensive,
6. Buy a late model Ferrari, if so what model,
7. Grow-up and accept the fact that my 07 is really a great car and live with that fact? Maybe I just need to get use to it and quit comparing it to my BS, but that's hard to do.

Please don't misunderstand the intent my post, I'm just venting. I'm not knocking the TT or your ownership enthusiasm for this car. But, when you've owned as many high performance vehicles (cars, boats, airplanes) as I have you can truthfully compare the TT against the others and reach some conclusions.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can't "grow into this car."

Last edited by 4ocious; 09-03-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Jaan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to remember the setups are different plus MB's combustion technology is almost second to none. I don't really know the setup of the 911 but the science thereof has to revolve around the inherent limitations of the cantilevered rear-engine configuration. As an MB enthusiast, the Black Series (I believe) is setup configuration as mild/moderate understeer with power on tap oversteer. The chassis (referring to the skeleton) is designed for the enormous torque (fundamental design approach). One thing about AMG's is the huge torque it generates effortless and the ability to be composed as though it lacks the potentials to be wild and the 911 is none of these and their engines are horsepower biased, hence the exhilaration when you accelerate.

I will like to know how the 911 is setup. I do understand the pendulum dynamics and being a faster sweeper around corners than most alternatives but it never dawned on me what the setup is on 911's.

The C63 is no CLK Black. They both have different objectives and the Black Edition signifies another tier of performance that isn't in factored into the regular AMG series. The Black Edition is a special road/race model. C63 is a family sedan that has potentials of being fast, a highway bruiser, track athleticism and road docility.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

2010 or 2011 GT3 RS. How exciting? Imagine holding a Tiger by his tail.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Jaan
Track Day

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
2010 or 2011 GT3 RS. How exciting? Imagine holding a Tiger by his tail.
It still isn't as wild as the Black.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get a TTS. Since you don't want to lose on mods? Although I got up to 555hp/550 tq for like $10k+ not much really FVD. cheaper than the 2x on a trade to the TTS from my 07 value.

Ferrari 458 is new mid engine- I'm a 599 fan myself-

just got in a Mclaren the other day and was very cool.

Tough being at the top of the mountain and looking for another summit.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:05 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Hadn't thought about a GT2/3 RS. I've seen them but I've never driven one. Hmmmmm.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:22 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Sounds like u will neve be satisfied move up to a 458 italia it's only money right?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Hadn't thought about a GT2/3 RS. I've seen them but I've never driven one. Hmmmmm.
There have been a lot of improvements on the TT since 2007. I have a 2010 TT that has a softronic tune as well as other mods and I'm excited every time I start up my engine. Tremendous acceleration (close to 600HP) that I actually have to hold back on at times due to safety. And for you I would recommend the TTS. Test drive one before you make your final decision. If not then go back to the BS Mercedes.

Jay
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do a few things to the suspension and add the proper alignment and it SHARPENS up the handling greatly. Maybe just do a tune first and see the difference. To get the most out of it a high flow turbo back exhaust is the ticket. If you want raw, do the race pipes off the turbos. Lighter, less expensive and very raw.

Quick review of what I would consider the minimum to keep costs down to see if the mind can be changed:

Tarett offset camber plates, Eibach lowering springs, and do proper alignment.
Race pipes (Fabspeed, ect) off turbos and APR tune (or another company).

Go for another drive. Mind will change.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Jaan
Track Day

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
You can do a few things to the suspension and add the proper alignment and it SHARPENS up the handling greatly. Maybe just do a tune first and see the difference. To get the most out of it a high flow turbo back exhaust is the ticket. If you want raw, do the race pipes off the turbos. Lighter, less expensive and very raw.

Quick review of what I would consider the minimum to keep costs down to see if the mind can be changed:

Tarett offset camber plates, Eibach lowering springs, and do proper alignment.
Race pipes (Fabspeed, ect) off turbos and APR tune (or another company).

Go for another drive. Mind will change.
It still wouldn't be a Black and wouldn't give the performance thereof. There are just too many variables. AMG experience is different from the experience you get from Porsche. In my humble perceptions, Porsche's (production variants and race alternatives) were never really as fast but it's objective was precision, communication and driver-reward.

It cost so much money to make a car faster by a second on a circuit. In most cases than not, the performance add-ons sold don't add any performance. It truly is difficult to improve some vehicles and Porsche is one of them.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you've never driven a gt3RS, I would suggest you do as it's night and day from a stock tt. Better yet, a gt2RS and be done with it, a MB black wouldnt touch that on the track.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 AM
a_wlee
Intermediate

Mercedes=family sport luxury car
997Tt=True sports car
This coming from a ex fan of AMG
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaan
It still wouldn't be a Black and wouldn't give the performance thereof....
Too much whining. Either you like the car or you sell it. If you do not like the basic premise throwing money at it is putting lipstick on a pig. Sell Turbo and buy Black Series.

P.S.
I love my 2007 997TT (H&R springs, exhaust, chip, 570hp/760Nm, rear diff, 245/325) everytime I drive it, in any environment and in any weather. I was in the Swiss Alps last weekend, exhilarating. The car has it's negatives, of course, but I am prepared to live with them, the positives overweigh.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I nearly sold my 07 for the same reasons
Then modded it
Now it's terrific
Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Great discussion and advice, thank you. Before I make a move (sell) on my current TT, I want to drive a GT2/3 RS, TTS, an Audi R8 (thoughts), a Ferrari California and gulp, yes even the new BMW M3/5 (thoughts). I think it comes down to torque and the negative-g feeling you get when you nail the gas pedal. My TT just doesn't give me the throw you back into the seat feeling I like.

I tracked my BS and it was awesome, rocket-like speed to 160+ on the straights, borderline control and traction on the curves and twisties, loud exhaust note, and a huge grin on my face throughtout the entire course. I was going to track my TT and was prepping the car for it, but given my current assessment and disappointment I just don't think (IMO) it's a good candidate. There's no question it's a much better DD and perhaps it's more comfortable than the BS, but that doesn't make-up for my personal disappointment in this car.

JAAN in his posts above is 100% correct, the AMG ownership and driving experience is a lot different than the TT experience. They really are two different philosophies which is great IMO because you have the opportunity to choose which one you prefer.

Quick Reply: I'm Disappointed in My TT