Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012 | 05:54 AM
easy888
Instructor

Default Clutch problem

Guys, I did a search on actuator/slave cylinder but didn't quite understand if it pertains to my problem. Please bare with me as I am not mechanically inclined on what my problem is.

Car: 07 997TT 6-speed

It began last week when I pressed on the clutch pedal and noticed a squeaky sound when it was pressed all the way (like an old bed frame sound). But the clutch operated fine so I thought nothing of it. (Not sure if this relates or led up the problem that I am dealing with now).

I woke up yesterday and like any other day started the car up in the morning. However when I started the car, I noticed that the clutch only came back 1/2 way. It was strange. So I stepped on it a few more times to see if maybe it was "caught" on something and would fix itself. It didn't. I proceeded to reverse the car out of the garage but found it extremely difficult to put into reverse. Finally as I started to drive, I noticed that the clutch would catch extremely early on its release. Something was definitely off.

Finally, I just randomly decided to use the tip of my shoe to pull the clutch back towards me from behind the clutch pedal. It worked. The clutch returned to it's normal position, though the feel of the pedal was still "off" slightly.

Today, the same thing happened. I took the car to the dealer and was told that the actuator needs to be replaced. This unit has something to do with the hydraulics in the clutch making the pedal return the normal position? It was worn out and needs to be replaced I'm told.

As I mentioned I am not mechanically savvy so I am looking for some help/advice.

I've been told by another source that it could be the slave cylinder. So I ask is the slave cylinder the same thing as the actuator? If not, then which one am I most likely dealing with? Or am I dealing with both as in it is a combo failure?

I'd hate to get one thing repaired only to find that it was something else and have to return to the dealership and pay twice to have the transmission removed again (double charge) if I had to replace either the actuator or slave cylinder the second time. Or am I over thinking in my head and the actuator/slave cylinder is the same thing, thus only needing a one time repair?

How much does this type of repair cost? I am told $1600? Does this sound right? I'm astounded to learn that the actuator part only cost less than $200?!?! The rest is labor??

The clutch itself drove fine as I remember it. No slipping, so I am guessing that I don't need a new clutch? However if I am to have the transmission removed at this point, should I just go ahead and install a new (more robust to handle upgraded power) clutch if I am planning to get an ECU tune? (Will eventually do ECU tune + intercooler upgrade, nothing more). Or will the stock clutch handle this type of power upgrade just fine? I have no interest in doing turbo upgrade.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2012 | 08:44 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

1600?
I guess they change the actuator and slave cylinder at the same time, because changing just actuator surely does not cost 1600! I live in expensive Switzerland and I had to change actuator, it was about 450 bucks all in all.

Why IC upgrade, but no exhaust upgrade?
I'd do ECU flash + exhaust first.
Old 08-15-2012 | 09:16 AM
speed21
Banned

When the problem slave/accumulator happened with mine Porsche opted to do just the actuator and not the slave. To be expected the problem quickly returned and i had to go back in again, which was inconvenient. They then did the slave cylinder and the problem was rectified totally. As it was a warranty job i'm sure they tried saving time and money by just doing the accumulator first but the reality is when this problem happens both clutch slave and accumulator are best changed together. That's also been the case for every job i've heard of. The transmission does not need to be removed to do these jobs either, so i'm not sure what you are going on about on that. However, I would agree 100% that if you are doing a tune that the clutch definitely won't handle it for sure and will need replacing. So it's best to do that before the tune actually. That way you avoid destroying the flywheel from all the slipping that will inevitably occur...needless to say what good is the tune if you can't use it WOT without getting some slippage. The exhaust is also a must as well, as to get the best out of the tune, one thing goes with the other. So its really clutch, exhaust, tune and then intercoolers....in that order.
Old 08-15-2012 | 11:36 AM
easy888
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I forgot to mention that I do already have a Cargraphic exhaust as well.

I need to find out what the charges are for exactly. But also from what I gathered, the new replacement parts are redesigned by Porsche? Not sure if I read my searches correctly, but seems that some others whom dealt with the problem swear up and down that Porsche's replacement parts were better designed and should have have a repeat of the problem?
Old 08-15-2012 | 02:27 PM
phillipj
Drifting

My accumulator failed as well. It was a warranty repair and Exteremely common. When mine failed the pedal became very stiff but did not exhibit the same behavior as yours.. So like Speed21 says.. It may both the slave and the accumulator.. Unlike the Carrera the turbo clutch has two hydraulic assists. The accumulator being the most common failure. Why don't you have a good indie do the work? $1800? That is wrong....
Old 08-15-2012 | 04:01 PM
easy888
Instructor

Guys, just came back from the dealer. They are pointing to the accumulator as being the faulty item that needs to be replaced. Cost wise (I might have misheard initially), is $1000 +/-.

Although my car is out of warranty, they are going to run it up the flag pole to see if they can have Porsche some part of the repair. I tried to arm myself with some information when I spoke with the advise this morning, but they would not have any of it. I tried to convey that my research has shown that many have had this problem before (from what I gather on forum searches) and that it should have been a recall not so much treated as a normal wear and tear item.

Will see where this ends up.
Old 08-15-2012 | 06:46 PM
speed21
Banned

I think you're on the right track. In reality they should replace both of these renown faulty items free of charge being an inherent fault with the pre 09 cars. The labour should also be negotiable as well given the problem being so prevalent in these pre 09 cars. From a legal standpoint Inherent faults succeed any warranty expiration anyway. The goods were either fit for the purpose intended or they weren't. The new replacement slave components made from 2009 onward are of a different manufacture and the problem should not resurface again....so i was assured. And, if by strange chance it does you would again have the inherent fault situation to rely up upon when arguing your case. Being out of warranty the labour may require discussion as well. Possibly a 50/50 share. Mine was done at 4500 kms and is now 21000 running perfectly fine....and with a heavier duty Sachs clutch. You will find once the slave is changed the pedal feel is far better too. I can't see any sense whatsoever in doing a GT2 slave conversion especially if the car is a daily driver. The pedal is far too stiff imho to put up with beyond the odd quick fang here and there....but to each his own on that. I figure if i wanted a GT2 i should just buy one rather than turn a car into something else. Then you have the issue of finding that minority who say they love it when ever you want to sell the car. Some things are best left stock.
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:54 AM
easy888
Instructor

Well, I did receive good news today. Seems a regional PCNA director has agreed to my dealerships plea to help in my case. They will cover this fix free of charge. I cannot express how grateful I am to the brand.
Though because they are adamant that the cause is a damaged accumulator, it does not sound like they will change out the slave cylinder.

It almost seems precautionary to replace that unit as well since it is just as faulty or even more so than the accumulator. However I don't want to press my luck and start asking for this and that.

In any case, I love the brand and always will.
Old 08-16-2012 | 03:36 AM
speed21
Banned

That's good news. I have personally found Porsche as a Company to be first class in dealing with problems outside of the warranted period. They are certainly the best car company i've ever dealt with. I'm sure a lot comes down to the actual problem, how old the car is, its condition, service history and mileage etc. I'd be surprised if the accumulator permanently cures the problem long term but good luck anyway. From what i was told afterward, the slaves problem is instrumental in the accumulators demise. Anyway, i'm sure if a problem returns in that area Porsche will come to the party with the new slave.
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:16 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by easy888
Well, I did receive good news today. Seems a regional PCNA director has agreed to my dealerships plea to help in my case. They will cover this fix free of charge. I cannot express how grateful I am to the brand.
Though because they are adamant that the cause is a damaged accumulator, it does not sound like they will change out the slave cylinder.

It almost seems precautionary to replace that unit as well since it is just as faulty or even more so than the accumulator. However I don't want to press my luck and start asking for this and that.

In any case, I love the brand and always will.
Great news.. So glad to hear Porsche doing the right thing...
Old 08-29-2012 | 07:09 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

No would be a good time to do the slave. You were already planning on doing the accumulator but now thats covered just tell them to do the slave on your dime.
Old 09-03-2012 | 03:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dan87951
No would be a good time to do the slave. You were already planning on doing the accumulator but now thats covered just tell them to do the slave on your dime.
I concur. Just ask the dealer. He may even give you a discounted labor rate.

On the matter of an upgraded clutch, sharwerks sells one that can handle up to 600hp i think. Of course, every time a tranny is pulled replace the RMS and i also like to replaced the bolts.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem