Sponsored by:

labor for clutch on a TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default labor for clutch on a TT

I know that many of you have replaced/upgraded your clutch. May I ask what you paid for the labor? My master tech at my dealer told me that (unlike a Carrera) the engine has to come out for a clutch job on a 997 TT.

So at the dealer it's VERY expensive..

Just wanted to find out what others have paid..

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Talk to the Dealer Service Manager, explain that you have been a loyal customer, prefer to do it with them and ask for a break. He doesn't want to lose you as a customer. Also, look a cost of whole job, including parts.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

About 2K is what I have been quoted. As such, when I go for a new clutch, I am going for a ton more work!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine does not have to come out.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Engine does not have to come out.

Doc are you sure? Why does my tech at the dealership and my tech at my indie tell me it does?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM
tredirtyfive
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phillipj
Doc are you sure? Why does my tech at the dealership and my tech at my indie tell me it does?
standard procedure to change out clutch requires to pull the engine out, but an experience indy shop can do it without. since your in pasadena, give House Automotive a call GL
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

It's really not a big job to drop an engine, these cars are made for that. One of the "stories" about my dealer tech (one of the best in the biz) is that the service manager called him one morning to see what time he thought the 3 cars he had to drop engines on that day would be done, and he replied "They're all done and ready to go now."
Old 08-01-2012, 01:59 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by tredirtyfive
standard procedure to change out clutch requires to pull the engine out, but an experience indy shop can do it without. since your in pasadena, give House Automotive a call GL
That's funny you said that.. I know Greg at House Auto quite well.. He is the one that said the engine needs to come out.. As well as the Dealer tech at Rusnak.. Interesting.... So obiously it can be done but the Porsche book says the engine should be dropped...

My tech at the dealer will do the job off site for $1000 labor. I supply the parts. I thought that was very fair..What do you think?

By the way ... Is that your RS that is at Gregs place? That car is sick...
Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I have encountered similar. The time necessary to drop an engine is *NOT* very scary. My Turbo has never had to have its engine come out but I have seen more than one 996 and 997 Turbo with its engine out a a local dealer and the techs are like it is no big deal. Couple of hours out, couple of hours back in.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 08-02-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added: *NOT*...
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Things may be different between the Turbo models, but when my 03 Turbo required a new (replacement) transmission under CPO warranty the engine didn't have to come out. Just the tranny.

The engine was supported by an adjustable engine stand/support that held up the engine while the car was in the air and the car high enough to comfortably work under the car while standing up.

I see no reason that had the clutch been the object of attention that the engine would have had to come out. Removing the transmission exposed the clutch for replacement had it been necessary.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
tredirtyfive
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny you said that.. I know Greg at House Auto quite well.. He is the one that said the engine needs to come out.. As well as the Dealer tech at Rusnak.. Interesting.... So obiously it can be done but the Porsche book says the engine should be dropped...

My tech at the dealer will do the job off site for $1000 labor. I supply the parts. I thought that was very fair..What do you think?

By the way ... Is that your RS that is at Gregs place? That car is sick...
$1000 labor to change out the clutch is pretty reasonable imo

yes that was my car getting some work done at his place.

someone should organize a meet for 626 peeps
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll phone my contacts tommorrow and ask about this. I know the engine was never pulled out of mine when they (dealer) changed out my clutch.
Prior too i'd also seen turbo's on hoist with box of, engine still in frame etc. Maybe don't ever ask them to change the pads or the front diff may need to be dropped lol JK.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guy put in the Sachs 2.5 without removing the engine. I think it is just how the dealer does it. They have the ability to charge more if they do it that way. Not really sure.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes some shops enjoy making a swiss watch out of nothing and then make you pay for it. Pulling an engine for a clutch is bit out there imho. It's like analysing a job and finding the hardest possible way to do it...
Old 08-02-2012, 02:11 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by tredirtyfive
$1000 labor to change out the clutch is pretty reasonable imo

yes that was my car getting some work done at his place.

someone should organize a meet for 626 peeps
That would be great if we could meet.. I have a lot of Porsche fanatic friends in the area. I'll PM you and give you my contact info...

Your car is awesome.. Would love to take it for a ride! I don't don't know where you can drive it and not destroy your CF spoiler lip though!

Quick Reply: labor for clutch on a TT