Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on this 2008 Turbo with 745 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm, I agree with some points regarding an '09. The latest Nav and some other smaller updates (no steering wheel or PSM changes though). But as a whole this is a new car and contrary to what I am reading here it does come with a warranty albeit at a premium.
Again, if someone can buy that car warranty included they are basically buying a brand new car for a decent price.

Why complain about buying low mileage cars at a premium and immediately taking a hit?
It is not a consideration when you buy new. So why should it be when you buy 'like new'. You'll take a much smaller hit for sure. And you get that new car feel.

Macster, sorry but rodents ? Really ? I do not think for a second this car was parked in the neighborhood of rodents, large or small.

I bought 2 fairly low mileage turbo's recently, one from pictures only. Perfect car ! Sold it to get my current one. Blocked it over the phone. Drove over and again perfect car.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:00 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold P-Car for a number of years. The car with the issues were the ones that sat around- I'd like to see a car generally with 500-600 miles a month- 6-8k a year keeps everything moving and fluids flowing.

I had Natural Gray on a C2/ Black on this one- its pretty much the same thing. On a black car I'd prefer to have Black or 2 two terracata /black. IDK >

The syc wood even being from a family in the hardwood business > yuck! The macassar would have been much prettier, but I still wouldn't have built it on black perhaps red or fountain blue.. I digress.

If this was a collectible unit then sure, however this car is the same as a lightly used 09 if you find one without road rash on the front you'll be in the same boat.

Plus I'd rather have 2 yrs newer> I am perhaps interested in switching my turbo to blk but not this one. boring.

GS
Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

To add I liked the P-car 09 blk from CO Springs. Great part of the country to pick up a Turbo> blast through the rockies into Vail/ Aspen> white water rafting, maybe a concert at Red Rocks, Rockies game.. Take a week and pick up the 09 for less money!

You'll be thanking me every moment with the mt air & evergreens!

Dang I miss CO!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:56 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathuat
What car do you drive C2 Turbo?
I drive an '07 TT CW/Black with loads of options. It did have slightly more miles (16,000 miles) for my taste but then I couldn't find a CW/Black with the options I wanted and when this car came along I jumped on it.

The car had just came out of OEM warranty so I bought a Fidelity Platinum Plus 5/60 for $3500 so it is covered for 5 more years.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 993S

Why complain about buying low mileage cars at a premium and immediately taking a hit?
It is not a consideration when you buy new. So why should it be when you buy 'like new'. You'll take a much smaller hit for sure. And you get that new car feel.
This is the ONLY reason I don't buy new. Especially, Porsche > carry further Turbo.

The right price for this car is: $85,000.

I have a museum quality vehicles available regularly from my gf(little bit longer b4 title change hopefully) boss who had the most amazing car collection...it had everything...100 at least and everything you could think of just about. Point: There's always another car. Including a white/black tip mint turbo he recently listed. I thought it should be priced $85k.

Personally, what do the miles matter? If it sat outside for a year and got acid rain etc... My turbo looked like it had been destroyed compared to the C2 I was selling where the 2nd owner a friend did amazing detail work himself and was kept mint from 05.. 07 I got with 4-5k less miles has lots of "imperfections".. I wanted the fastest car I could buy & was the deal near wholesale in nov 2010 on 07 TT CPO $79500 17k I pulled trigger.

Always another and really... much better optioned & custom specd if lucky.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

I remember reading a Ferrari owner thanking fellow owners for thinking their cars only lose 2% a year. Followed it up with seriously "THANK YOU I drive the **** out of my car & lose near nothing."

This is not the case with Porsche owners as a generality. Exclude if you read this I'm obviously not referring to this board or readers.

Why pay $20-25k MSRP to invoice plus $7-8k depreciation off cuff for cars with a few thousand baby miles? I feel like if I knew how to buy Gucci shoes wholesale- since I have the insider perspective for cars. I just like to give my lifetime car guy insight with my couple years when I sold cars out of college finding my way.

Last edited by German_Saint; 06-24-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: there/their.. bothers me sorry
Old 06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Hmm, I agree with some points regarding an '09. The latest Nav and some other smaller updates (no steering wheel or PSM changes though). But as a whole this is a new car and contrary to what I am reading here it does come with a warranty albeit at a premium.
Again, if someone can buy that car warranty included they are basically buying a brand new car for a decent price.

Macster, sorry but rodents ? Really ? I do not think for a second this car was parked in the neighborhood of rodents, large or small.

I bought 2 fairly low mileage turbo's recently, one from pictures only. Perfect car ! Sold it to get my current one. Blocked it over the phone. Drove over and again perfect car.
Well, I got news for you. If there are humans about there are mice and rodents around.

One doesn't have to live in a jungle, next to a land fill, to have mice come calling. A little used car is a perfect nesting site for it has many tight hidden crawl spaces, dry, draft free, with plenty of stuff to use for nest building and plenty of nice plastic and rubber pieces to gnaw on.

I've come across several cars that have had rodent damage recently. They were parked in garages in nice homes in nice areas. Surprisingly, I also came across a Cab that the owner had driven hardly at all and had left the car parked outside all this time. The car was a mess with leaf litter everywhere in every body/panel crevice/gap -- I was surprised the water drains weren't blocked -- but the car was untouched by rodents. I guess being outside 'saved' the car from this insult.

A little used car, or one that goes weeks between uses, is always at risk of being visited by mice at least. These creatures have litters several times a year and they are always looking for a nesting site to raise the next litter.

Regarding the depreciation hit it is up to the prospective buyer what he is comfortable with. I'm loathe to take on any more depreciation than I have too, but the seller has his say in that he can say no if he doesn't want to sell the car for less.

Of course, though, it is up to the individual what he can live with.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

This car is worth $85 and not a penny more. Than the next guy comes along and pays asking. It's the market who decides what a car is worth. Long time ago I decided a 993 was worth X. I kept offering X at cars I liked. No dice. In the end after some misses I was forced to increase my 'what is this car worth'.
Hey it's easy to low ball the car and lose out to the next guy.
But what if this poster or anybody else who reads the comments here, loves the car and tells the dealer 'I'll pay $85' and loses out. Yes, there is always next but will it be better ? Up to the buyer to decide I would think.

Extreme low mileage cars sell at a premium. Always have, always will. I have collected Porsche's in the past. Only bought the garage queens with low to extreme low mileage. I hope someday the fairy tale of unused cars sitting go bad comes to an end. It's simply not true. ANY car can develop a problem. High miler, low miler, brand new whatever, but a low miler no more than any other.

And with respect Macster, rodents are the anomaly and suggesting this car needs a PPI guy who is on the lookout for it sounds just a tiny bit strange to me . If I was interested in this car I wouldn't even bother with a PPI at all. Just get the warranty and be done with it.

That's my view and felt compelled to respond and maybe this counterpoint helps someone, if not .. no prob.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

This car is worth $85 and not a penny more. Than the next guy comes along and pays asking. It's the market who decides what a car is worth. Long time ago I decided a 993 was worth X. I kept offering X at cars I liked. No dice. In the end after some misses I was forced to increase my 'what is this car worth'.
Hey it's easy to low ball the car and lose out to the next guy.
But what if this poster or anybody else who reads the comments here, loves the car and tells the dealer 'I'll pay $85' and loses out. Yes, there is always next but will it be better ? Up to the buyer to decide I would think.

Extreme low mileage cars sell at a premium. Always have, always will. I have collected Porsche's in the past. Only bought the garage queens with low to extreme low mileage. I hope someday the fairy tale of unused cars sitting go bad comes to an end. It's simply not true. ANY car can develop a problem. High miler, low miler, brand new whatever, but a low miler no more than any other.

And with respect Macster, rodents are the anomaly and suggesting this car needs a PPI guy who is on the lookout for it sounds just a tiny bit strange to me . If I was interested in this car I wouldn't even bother with a PPI at all. Just get the warranty and be done with it.

That's my view and felt compelled to respond and maybe this counterpoint helps someone, if not .. no prob.
There's some work in buying a car for less than its asking price. The buyer has to make a case for his lower offer. The low miles can be shown to be a liabilty coupled with the lack of a warranty. The number of similar cars regardless of mileage, a low optioned or heavily/excessive optioned car, things like that, can also be pointed out. One can't go overboard with negativity or the seller will spot this as a lame purchase tactic. Last but not least a buyer standing in front of the seller with cash, albeit less cash than the asking price, is a pretty compelling argument too.

It takes a well informed market wise very confident (or just stubborn) seller to not weaken some. Heck even professional car salesmen/salesmanagers weaken and let a car go for less than its asking price. Why should a private seller be any different?

OTOH, there's a risk a prospective buyer loses out on an otherwise fine car, provided he can accept the unknown risk of low miles and no warranty and can face the depreciation that arises from the miles he puts on the car.

The buyer can adjust his offer price up. I tend to come in below market and work my way up. Much easier to raise an offer than take an offer off the table and replace it with a lower offer.

It takes two to make a car sale.

If a PPI guy doesn't check for the past or present sign of rodents along with signs of subpar accident damage repair (even new cars have accidents, during the delivery/demo phase of their lives), flood damage (not unknown for a new car to be flooded), major mechanical repairs, and the more common issues used cars can have, he's not worth the PPI fee.

The PPI guy makes this check as part of his check of the car. It is not like he has to go out of his way to do so.

I watch professioinal techs check over used cars and I'm always amazed at how quickly they spot things and to the level of detail they spot things. I consider myself above average in this skill but when I try to best a tech I always end up losing. I learn something new every time so the losing is experience.

I bought a used 996 Turbo with low (~10K) miles sans a PPI. However, the car had been serviced often enough and by dealer service departments I felt comfortable that the car was ok in the rodent area in fact all areas. Everytime I've had my cars in for service the techs, some of the same techs that serviced the Turbo for the 1st owner, and they always run an eye over my cars inside and out, and noted issues, the early signs of issues, so I had a lot of confidence if there had been anything wrong with this car it would have been taken care of for the 1st owner or being the car was out of warranty he would have taken care of it. I gathered the 1st owner was a bit **** about this car.

Even so, I did get under the car more than once at night after hours with a bright light looking into areas for signs of anything amiss. This included among the checks for repairs missing panels, scrapes, fluid leak sign, signs of any trash (or track debris) on the underbody panels. These catch a lot of stuff and are a good place to look for early signs of trouble.

Also, the car had a CPO warranty and had been subjected to a thorough inspection so no PPI for this car was an easy call to make.

Oh, I still test drove the car, too.

If one buys a low miles or any miles car with no warranty and no PPI he's rolling the dice. Sure, most of the time things work out ok, but there have been more than a few posts by buyers who skipped the PPI, skipped even a reasonable test drive, only to find issues surfacing after the purchase.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:10 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

I found installation from a rat nest under the battery cover to the left- no other damage & not sure if it happened since I bought it or before- most likely while I was sporting 3 rides (Alpina B7- E46 M3, TT).

.02 I couldn't understand how they made it there but did for sure.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Not doing a PPI is asking for a story on this forum.. not the happy one.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd keep looking.. That interior is horrible.. For that much money you can find a MUCH bettter specimen.

I actually wouldn't buy a 7 year old car with 743 miles on it.. Cars are just like people.. They don't stay healthy when they just sit..

Plus no warranty? Please..... I agree with C2 Turbo... You can look at an 09 for that money...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Phillipj. I agree with your assessment. I will continue to look for a 2009. I appreciate your input. Hope, to find a nice 2009 Turbo soon. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathuat
Thanks Phillipj. I agree with your assessment. I will continue to look for a 2009. I appreciate your input. Hope, to find a nice 2009 Turbo soon. Thanks.
I was just looking at 09's.. There are a lot out there. You shouldn't have a problem finding what you want if you're patient..

Good luck! It's fun to shop for a Turbo!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, I got news for you. If there are humans about there are mice and rodents around.

One doesn't have to live in a jungle, next to a land fill, to have mice come calling. A little used car is a perfect nesting site for it has many tight hidden crawl spaces, dry, draft free, with plenty of stuff to use for nest building and plenty of nice plastic and rubber pieces to gnaw on.

I've come across several cars that have had rodent damage recently. They were parked in garages in nice homes in nice areas. Surprisingly, I also came across a Cab that the owner had driven hardly at all and had left the car parked outside all this time. The car was a mess with leaf litter everywhere in every body/panel crevice/gap -- I was surprised the water drains weren't blocked -- but the car was untouched by rodents. I guess being outside 'saved' the car from this insult.

A little used car, or one that goes weeks between uses, is always at risk of being visited by mice at least. These creatures have litters several times a year and they are always looking for a nesting site to raise the next litter.

Regarding the depreciation hit it is up to the prospective buyer what he is comfortable with. I'm loathe to take on any more depreciation than I have too, but the seller has his say in that he can say no if he doesn't want to sell the car for less.

Of course, though, it is up to the individual what he can live with.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I live in a development of upper scale homes with professionally landscaped 2 - 3 acre lots. Although we don't have rats, there are mice. They love cars even if they are daily drivers. I drove my 993 virtually every day, and mice would inevitably build their homes near the engine every winter. I never had a problem with mice in the Spring or Summer. So about 10 years ago I put D-CON in my garage and haven't had a problem since.

My teenage son parked his car outside since we didn't have a four car garage, and he never had a problem with mice. The little criters craved warmth, and a car parked outside gets cold very quickly.

Quick Reply: Opinion on this 2008 Turbo with 745 miles