Sponsored by:

BMC Air Filter-Worth the Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default BMC Air Filter-Worth the Cost?

My OEM paper air filter must be replaced. I've found the OEM replacement on-line for $55.00 plus free shipping. However, for $210.00 and free shipping I can also buy a BMC filter. Is the extra $$$ worth it?

I've used K&N oiled filters on my AMG's without any problems and note the BMC is very similar. IMO, I did not notice and performance difference-
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
My OEM paper air filter must be replaced. I've found the OEM replacement on-line for $55.00 plus free shipping. However, for $210.00 and free shipping I can also buy a BMC filter. Is the extra $$$ worth it?

I've used K&N oiled filters on my AMG's without any problems and note the BMC is very similar. IMO, I did not notice and performance difference-
Pay particular attention to post #8

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...ter-4-gt3.html

No gains, no enhancements of any nature...

Why blow money on a psychological delusion.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks, I agree. IMO K&N and BMC filters will not/do not add any measurable difference in an already OEM tuned engine. Although I've never had any problem with a K&N installed in my AMG's (2 SL55's, 2 CLK63's including a Black Series and etc.) I did get a CEL when I installed it in my 07 E550. For the price of one BMC filter I can get four OEM paper filters. That's a low risk, cost effective no brainer decision for me.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I have it in my 997TT..
Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Does it sound any better intake side?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bford100
Does it sound any better intake side?
Yes it does.. I would buy it again..
Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Don't do it. Problems with the MAF are 100% vs maybe. You aren't going to see, hear or feel the gains!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the same discussion today, and decided against it. Not worth the cost... Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Don't do it. Problems with the MAF are 100% vs maybe. You aren't going to see, hear or feel the gains!
Must be slightly less than 100% since I've been running BMC for 4 years, 27,000 miles and no problems.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
speed21
Banned

I've always questioned its efficiency in purifying the air vs the stock paper unit. Stands to reason it isn't going to do the fundamental job as well. And thats what it's there for. So if there is no power gain etc why bother.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my understanding is that there could be benefit on modified cars?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Had it on for 2yrs, no issues..
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
I have it - whether or not it adds anything I don't know...but most tuners include it as part of their stage 1 tunes.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by dianic
Well that myth certainly appears to have been completely debunked now with sharky saying it neither improves sound nor makes one iota difference in HP, using his heavily modded 3.9 as a reference point.

So when you say modified cars, i'm assuming you are referring to the engine side of things? (JK.) Mind you a stock GT3 engine is already a highly tuned piece of kit vs the average conventional less techy engines you find in most cars these days, so that in itself (a stock GT3 engine) is surely an adequate bench mark? And if not, why not?

As i pointed out earlier, the air cleaner is primarily there to clean fine particulate out of the air for the purpose of reducing internal cylinder/engine wear. Removing the filter or, reducing its efficiency is a given that the engine will not be as durable wear wise. So when one embarks on these excercises one needs to seriously ask ones self what is the goal in the exercise because if the only tangible result is a decrease in cylinder and engine life then at any money its a very bad deal .

There may be some psycological benefit in believing the marketing and advertising hype surrounding the item, that it is actually doing something of tangible benefit performance and soundwise however, again isn't that just being delusional given sharky's "proof in the pudding" exercise that in reality it does absolutely SFA? Sorry, it does do something; Reduces cylinder and engine component life.

I personally couldn't see any logic increasing engine wear no matter what the degree is found to be, least of all paying a huge premium in the process, especially when there really are no tangible gains whatsoever. And lets say even if there was a tiny gain somewhere, it would be so minor it wouldn't offset the downside anyway.

And let's imagine if there was some slight (psycological) gain, it again would be so minor it also wouldn't be worth the offset in increased engine wear and the inconvenience screwing around washing the damn thing out and re oiling it.

My own expereince with these types of filters is you can never rid 100% of the debris anyway, and chances are in the process of washing it out you further diminish the filtration capacity along with dislodging fine particles and moving them on the wrong side of the filter. It'd be akin to washing out an oil filter. I mean why on earth would you bother?

There is simply no substitute for replacing an air or oil or fuel filter with a brand new one. But again, to each his own poison.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I have it - whether or not it adds anything I don't know...but most tuners include it as part of their stage 1 tunes.
I recall going through this discussion with Todd Knighton when i got my tune but he didnt push any argument that it actually did anything. So i applaud his honesty for not taking the opportunity of extracting money off me.

It's a bit like a dealer selling fabric protection on a new car purchase....money for jam. So why would a Mod shop not push the add ons when there is good profit in it? Nothing wrong with that. If the punters keep paying and believing, that's even better still .

Quick Reply: BMC Air Filter-Worth the Cost?