Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member saying hi.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes planning on rims, still have a 20" set from my first turbo so am going to use them a little, than I am hoping to get me some forged 19" Fuchs.

Want to lower it a bit, thinking of just the springs as I never track the car, purely street driving. Techart seems to get got reviews for their springs so likely going with that. Damptronic exists in a 'comfort' version so that is tempting too.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I can clear the office ramp, I am going for H&R...
That seems to be a good balance, and my expert service man has them on his car, so I will have first hand experience.
Pn second thought I should get him to come to this place as well, Skandalis is quite the source of knowledge.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

H&R is too low for me. Also I have read they sag after some time. Not with Techart (Eibach made).

Only one but have read it several times :

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...springs-3.html

These posts make me lean towards Techart :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ics-added.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...alignment.html

Last edited by TT-911; 05-07-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys if lowering is really what you want, best do some more homework over on 6 still. The whole lowering spring thing is confusing. Some say H and R are good, some not, some say tech art, some not but all say GMG is way better sorted out so GMG appears to be pick of the bunch over H & R, and Techart. They'd be the ones i'd go for. But careful what you wish for with lowering the car. To be honest i'd start with a decent alignment first then work from there....

Hey Nick have you been for a run in Skands car with the H & R? If so what was your general impression vs your own stock set up?

Now, on the GMG set up; PM TTSurgeon Chris and GTO Doc. I see chris still laments the sale of his last 997tt.1 set up. Frankly after my 997C2S coil overs I personally wouldn't go near Bilstein + too many horror stories over on 6 with that set up....

This ones worth a read too:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ack-ready.html
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speed21
Some say H and R are good, some not, some say tech art, some not but all say GMG is way better sorted out so GMG appears to be pick of the bunch over H & R, and Techart. They'd be the ones i'd go for. But careful what you wish for with lowering the car. To be honest i'd start with a decent alignment first then work from there....
GMG is made by Eibach, as are the Techarts. Are you saying Eibach can only make the GMC spring correct and not their own or the Techart one.

GMG springs have less comfort, Techart the most from what I am reading. Also the Techart's lower the least it seems which is good for the four wheel drive turbo.
And lastly, I am perfectly happy with the stock handling and only want the car a little bit lower but want to retain comfort of stock.

Have you read the links I posted? It's Eclou's expierence with the Techarts. His words "I actually found the ride MORE compliant than before"

Is GMG even available in Europe ?

Last edited by TT-911; 05-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

I believe GMG is available here, but at a premium and that VAT thing we get charged with too! Dammit.

Paul, yes I have driven in Skands car, I am going to meet him tomorrow for that matter. I will compare with my stock (but surely sagged since 2007) ride height. My car has 21k miles - 34k kms.
I want to measure his car, the H&Rs have been on there since 2010.

Overall impression when I drove in his car was wow! Apart form the spectacular power from software, the handling was so much ... taught-er? As we were heading back on a highway from an off ramp, there is a slight "jump" in the end as it merges. At ridiculous speeds entering the highway, my car did jump, his stayed on the ground. I was sold on the spot.

I stayed up till 3.30 last night (thanks Denis!) reading the threads linked above as well as the 3 pages of the search I did over at the 6.
I have also read in the recent past all that info, including Cangas "dissertation" on suspension! And Doc's writings as well about track setup, as well as Paul's very sharp observations in that thread (I do recall saying wow when you caught some detail which proved a correct observation) so I very much respect everyone's opinions.

There have been whispers about "settling" or "sagging" call it whatever you want for the H&R s but only in a few posts. Canga says that H&R may have softer rates than the techart and the GMG. The GMG is surely the hardest, and definitely the most expensive. I dont track the car enough to need that. I dont want my ride to become any harsher...

What I need is in the bi-weekly Sunday stint on open roads, not to have to remember to press the sport button above 100 as the nose starts to "bob". That annoys me. Unfortunately the way things are in Greece, I am not too comfortable going around in a TT any more, and that seems to be the case for a while. So, I figure I may as well enjoy that Sunday ride...

Springs will run me 300 euro or so plus install that Skand will do this or next week. So that is a relatively cheap experiment. Anything else, which is likely to be double the money is no longer an experiment but a commitment. Lets start with the experiment, and see.

Finally, there is no better reference for me than the opinion of Skand. He has had them on his car since 2010, he is extremely pleased, and he is a picky, opinionated ba$$ard. So, that being said, I trust his judgment.

Did I mention he will be joining us here too? :-)
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 993S
GMG is made by Eibach, as are the Techarts. Are you saying Eibach can only make the GMC spring correct and not their own or the Techart one. GMG springs have less comfort, Techart the most from what I am reading. Also the Techart's lower the least it seems which is good for the four wheel drive turbo.
And lastly, I am perfectly happy with the stock handling and only want the car a little bit lower but want to retain comfort of stock.

Have you read the links I posted? It's Eclou's expierence with the Techarts. His words "I actually found the ride MORE compliant than before"
Is GMG even available in Europe ?
No. Don't know enough about any of them other than what i've read and sometimes it's hard to base a decision on something that will ultimately alter the ride comfort without actually having a drive in the car.

Yes i had read the links, some of them from previously. And with eclou, again one mans pleasure can be the next mans poison so again, and with all due respect, with so many good and bad stories out there it becomes a tough call who's word to take. I guess i'm a little skeptical now after my Bilstein experience after listening to so many glowing stories to only find the car was too hard and mechanical for general street work. Compliant is also a word i hear used regularly in defence of such mods ie the car is now more compliant, but what is "more compliant?" when in essence the normal ride becomes as hard as sports mode and the suspension more mechanical (noisey).. leaving the seats to take up all the bumps. Maybe i'm getting too old because nowadays i expect a good result without such a dramtic compromises to the comfort levels...and im probably about as fussy with making things as perfect as you can get lol. And here it is Nick is saying skands fussy. Maybe i'm worse.. Oh well...lol..

The TT is a nice car so you have to be carefull where you want to take the level of the ride and the noises that go along with it. I'm sure just coils wont be nearly as radical in departure as coilovers as the coilovers have the helper springs (2 piece system) which creates noise in itself....however, once you fit shorter coils to regular shocks you will take the shock somewhat out of its "sweet spot" so, there has to be an effect from doing that. Yep it's all very tempting, but it's a tough one when the car essentially rides and handles well enough in most street situations, plus the sports mode does tighten things considerably when you need.

I found after a good alignment it made a world of difference, but yes i would agree it would be nice to have a slightly lower ride height for vanity AND tighten the handling up a touch in normal mode without turning the car into a buck board.

On the techarts i recall Skand selling a set for one of his friends that apparently got the ****s with them. Also Skand fitted the H and R and not the techart when he could have used the ones he was selling, so that was interesting. As Nick says Skand is a very particular guy and i'm inclined to agree with Nick on that.
He's very passionate when it comes to his TT.

And re GMG. Don't know if they are in EU but to get them out of the states is easy and cheap enough so that wouldn't be an obstacle for me.

Originally Posted by dianic
I believe GMG is available here, but at a premium and that VAT thing we get charged with too! Dammit.

Paul, yes I have driven in Skands car, I am going to meet him tomorrow for that matter. I will compare with my stock (but surely sagged since 2007) ride height. My car has 21k miles - 34k kms.
I want to measure his car, the H&Rs have been on there since 2010.

Overall impression when I drove in his car was wow! Apart form the spectacular power from software, the handling was so much ... taught-er? As we were heading back on a highway from an off ramp, there is a slight "jump" in the end as it merges. At ridiculous speeds entering the highway, my car did jump, his stayed on the ground. I was sold on the spot.

I stayed up till 3.30 last night (thanks Denis!) reading the threads linked above as well as the 3 pages of the search I did over at the 6.
I have also read in the recent past all that info, including Cangas "dissertation" on suspension! And Doc's writings as well about track setup, as well as Paul's very sharp observations in that thread (I do recall saying wow when you caught some detail which proved a correct observation) so I very much respect everyone's opinions.

There have been whispers about "settling" or "sagging" call it whatever you want for the H&R s but only in a few posts. Canga says that H&R may have softer rates than the techart and the GMG. The GMG is surely the hardest, and definitely the most expensive. I dont track the car enough to need that. I dont want my ride to become any harsher...

What I need is in the bi-weekly Sunday stint on open roads, not to have to remember to press the sport button above 100 as the nose starts to "bob". That annoys me. Unfortunately the way things are in Greece, I am not too comfortable going around in a TT any more, and that seems to be the case for a while. So, I figure I may as well enjoy that Sunday ride...

Springs will run me 300 euro or so plus install that Skand will do this or next week. So that is a relatively cheap experiment. Anything else, which is likely to be double the money is no longer an experiment but a commitment. Lets start with the experiment, and see.

Finally, there is no better reference for me than the opinion of Skand. He has had them on his car since 2010, he is extremely pleased, and he is a picky, opinionated ba$$ard. So, that being said, I trust his judgment. Did I mention he will be joining us here too? :-)
Lol, no but it would be great to see him over here. Say Kalimera from me when you next see him OK. Maybe when i'm in Athens later this year i can check that ride out for myself....that is if it's safe for you guys to drive your cars. Ive shortened my stay in Athens down to 2 nights on the way back through the isles so i'll effectively only have the next day to day anything by the time i fly in. Normally i stay at least 3 nights in Athens but after all the drama last year it's put me off a bit. Athens used to be such a great place....such a shame really...

So did you ride in his car on regular roads? Some of those streets can be a bit dodgy....and a good test IYKWIM. The expressways over there are generally too smooth to be able to make a proper call imo.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

You know what , I believe we are making this forum just a tiny bit more interesting again

Nick, I too stayed up late (for me, not 3:30AM) and read here and on 6.
BTW, I can not believe your car, on its original springs, has sagged a mm. For sure not with that low mileage.

Back to lowering springs.

Techart:

I found, and maybe I did not look hard enough, one negative comment on the Techart's. The forum user found the ride to be 'bouncy. In an other topic this same person stated 'Mine came lowered on TechArt springs so I don't really know what stock feels like. All I can say is it isn't nearly as harsh as some of the other lowered cars I've had in the past. In fact, I regularly have the car in sport mode b/c the normal setting is too 'bouncy'.
So he has/had no experience with a regular stock turbo. And we all know that a stock turbo can be 'bouncy', for lack of a better word. Also note the car is/was equipped with rather heavy 20"wheels. More on that further down.
Beside this one person I found nothing but happy Techart customers.

GMG

After reading many comments I am even more convinced GMG springs are harder than Techart, I believe this would be the best set-up for road and track. A non issue for me as I do not track my car. Purely street. For Street only they might be too hard for me.

H&R

I found some to be extremely happy and some to be not so happy and several remarks of ‘sagging’. Although H&R is a brand with a strong reputation, OEM equipment for Carrera GT and 996 GT3 RS I am not interested in them for the reason only that they lower more than GMG or Techart.

Shocks

A stock shock has quite some ‘travel’ where it operates in its ‘sweet spot’ as Paul describes it. In general stock shocks accept a lowering of around 40mm. The 20-30mm that is offered for our turbo’s has no effect on shock performance.
Shocks are tubes with a cylinder in it with small holes and if this cylinder travels from A tot E , or from B to F does not make a difference. Lowering too much will destroy a shock as it will reach it critical point and will bottom out. That destroys a shock within days and the result is no more damping. Not good.

Wheels

My biggest concern when reading user comments about lowering springs is the wheels they have on the car. 2 identical cars equipped with different wheels, one forged 19”, the other with cast 20” will give a totally different experience. So when reading comments on lowering springs it is very important to know what wheels are on the car. The best spring in the world wont ‘repair’ a heavy 20” wheel.

In the end we have to go with what we think is best.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Lets move this to a new thread. Too long a post for a welcome for Paul, and some people are missing out on the discussion.

Back to the welcome thread:
Paul, when are you coming? Plans? I saw Dimitris today... You better give us a heads up when you come, even for a day, as long as it is not in August as I wont be in Athens! How long are you island hoping for?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ed! You noticed huh. Well what can i say. I stood up for my own kind against a GTR bully and got shot.....

sigh....

I guess calling a mod out for viceously attacking members with insulting remarks has its price.....not that i have any regrets. I called it the way it was and someone had to do it. Its been long overdue to pull up his and jaspers nonsense. Oh well at least i went out with my own dignity even though very few stood up for me. I guess now my name is mud now as he's been doing his darndest to bury me. I just wish he'd be honest and also put up these so called warnings or shut about it. He's trying his best to villify me and i cant defend myself. Drawing upon my banning two years ago when me and skand went head to head over the APR 1 bar boost claim is clutching at straws. And as you know i ended up vindicated when madsex343 proved it was BS. Plus me and skand are now friends too. I mean how long does a guy have to wait before he is forgiven. Pretty disapointing stuff Ed.

I'll drop you a pm when i get a bit more time and detail it a bit more, but if you read the thread you'll get the gist. Its pretty easy to see what really went down..
Welcome to Rennlist Paul! I haven't posted over there in over a year so I haven't followed your plight. Oh well it's their loss.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 05-09-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 993S
You know what , I believe we are making this forum just a tiny bit more interesting again Nick, I too stayed up late (for me, not 3:30AM) and read here and on 6.
BTW, I can not believe your car, on its original springs, has sagged a mm. For sure not with that low mileage.

Back to lowering springs.

Techart:

I found, and maybe I did not look hard enough, one negative comment on the Techart's. The forum user found the ride to be 'bouncy. In an other topic this same person stated 'Mine came lowered on TechArt springs so I don't really know what stock feels like. All I can say is it isn't nearly as harsh as some of the other lowered cars I've had in the past. In fact, I regularly have the car in sport mode b/c the normal setting is too 'bouncy'.
So he has/had no experience with a regular stock turbo. And we all know that a stock turbo can be 'bouncy', for lack of a better word. Also note the car is/was equipped with rather heavy 20"wheels. More on that further down.
Beside this one person I found nothing but happy Techart customers.

GMG

After reading many comments I am even more convinced GMG springs are harder than Techart, I believe this would be the best set-up for road and track. A non issue for me as I do not track my car. Purely street. For Street only they might be too hard for me.

H&R

I found some to be extremely happy and some to be not so happy and several remarks of ‘sagging’. Although H&R is a brand with a strong reputation, OEM equipment for Carrera GT and 996 GT3 RS I am not interested in them for the reason only that they lower more than GMG or Techart.

Shocks

A stock shock has quite some ‘travel’ where it operates in its ‘sweet spot’ as Paul describes it. In general stock shocks accept a lowering of around 40mm. The 20-30mm that is offered for our turbo’s has no effect on shock performance.
Shocks are tubes with a cylinder in it with small holes and if this cylinder travels from A tot E , or from B to F does not make a difference. Lowering too much will destroy a shock as it will reach it critical point and will bottom out. That destroys a shock within days and the result is no more damping. Not good.

Wheels

My biggest concern when reading user comments about lowering springs is the wheels they have on the car. 2 identical cars equipped with different wheels, one forged 19”, the other with cast 20” will give a totally different experience. So when reading comments on lowering springs it is very important to know what wheels are on the car. The best spring in the world wont ‘repair’ a heavy 20” wheel. In the end we have to go with what we think is best.
Lol. Well see if we can turn it up a bit over here eh..,,time permitting of course.

Wheels is an interesting point Denis. And not to be underestimated. Personally i would always go for lighter. I certainly felt a difference with the ones i have on now compared to the stock rims.....not huge, but there is definitely something going on there.

Originally Posted by dianic
Lets move this to a new thread. Too long a post for a welcome for Paul, and some people are missing out on the discussion.

Back to the welcome thread:
Paul, when are you coming? Plans? I saw Dimitris today... You better give us a heads up when you come, even for a day, as long as it is not in August as I wont be in Athens! How long are you island hoping for?
No prob Nick. See you have a thread up now.. we can continue the suspension debate there...

Re visit, will PM details.

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Welcome to Rennlist Paul! I haven't posted over there in over a year so I haven't followed your plight. Oh well it's their loss.
Thanks Doug! Haven't heard you posting about much these days...but good to see your over here. On 6 well se la vie.. I'm pretty relaxed about it actually . Silly silly stuff... so emotive and over reactional...totally inapproriate for a mod to behave really, but let's just say passions must run deep in the GTR camp eh...although they'll deny that lol. It's like, damn all those Porsche badge ****** and brand snobs for not paying us Nissans any attention or respect!!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

passions must run deep in the GTR camp eh...although they'll deny that lol. It's like, damn all those Porsche badge ****** and brand snobs for not paying us Nissans any attention or respect!!
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ate-997tt.html
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM
speed21
Banned

lol. Yeah saw that earlier and laughed. Doesn't excuse his condescending judgemental remarks and general holier than thou behaviour toward porsche members tho....least of all his bogus justification for my ban. Too funny... Humility escapes this guy completey....he's way to good for us mere mortals. Don't worry, we are all posers, snobs and badge *****'s. You see having the Gtr and a Porsche excuses him of all of that....and don't forget he's got that Nissan to fall back on to claim "true enthusiast" status

Last edited by speed21; 05-11-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
skandalis447
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...this looks like my first post here and it is nice to read good comments...thank you guys...Paul I believe you will like some rides with 997TT here...just pick the colour...
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

This is now a double welcome post!
Everyone, this is Skand, or Dimitris, who although I met through US forums is a fellow Athenian and the expert I have trusted the well being of my car to. I am sure he is known to residents of the 6 as he has a post count of >1000 there... like speed21 did.

Welcome Dimitri.

Quick Reply: new member saying hi.