Track impressions : Techart springs, Gt3 alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:54 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts
Default Track impressions : Techart springs, Gt3 alignment

I finally got to the track this morning to try out the following mods - Techart lowering springs on the stock dampeners, Gt3 street alignment. Tires used are 18" Hoosier R6 at 40/44 hot front/rear. Temps 75F, and car has stage II GIAC/AWE engine mods, running 100 octane fuel. I have run the same car with the same mods previously but without the springs and alignment, so I have a basis for comparison. Also, car was run in Sport mode with sport PASM on and also PSM left on.

Handling wise, car is tightened up considerably. There is no understeer/push whatsoever. The nose turns in quickly and sharply. The rear end also is much more planted without feeling loose in high speed turns. I have a bad habit of making mid-corner corrections instead of marking the turn and steering with the throttle. The suspension never feels unsettled no matter the surface imperfections. No more pogo over rough transitions. The progressive rate Techart springs also don't feel overly harsh and there is never any bottoming out. This is the most planted and secure feeling car I have ever been on track with, and that includes my dedicated race/track car. There is a tremendous amount of feedback in your butt that is available now that the car feels more settled. The only thing that I would try to improve is the body lean. There is still just a touch much of it, and stiffer sways may help. AWE sells adjustable H&R's for the car, and GMG has adjustable Eibach's coming.

Power wise, I have to say that the GIAC in Race mode with 100 octane is simply a very sick and surreal experience. In street mode sometimes I would get a slight boost tail-off or timing retardation near redline. There is none now. Oil temps never got over 210F, and water temps were dead center. Boost was constantly at 18#, and I am hitting an easy 165mph before the end of the front straight at TWS. Considering that my exit from turn 15 is less than perfect, that the car would be even faster in 50F weather, and that I am too chicken so I brake hard at the end of the straight, downshift to 4th prior to turning into turn #1, I think 170mph at the end is easily possible. As far as I know, even the Cup cars can only hit 160mph at the end of the straight.

Some laps from today:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31244060&hl=en
Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, looks like you had a blast.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

crap it turns in well! Awesome dude. I was just at limerock yesterday watching the PCA guys run while i got to tool around on the little mini auto-x track they have.

tell me when your going to a track again maybe ill fly down for a ride
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

oh btw, what are the alignment specs for the GT3?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by eclou
I finally got to the track this morning to try out the following mods - Techart lowering springs on the stock dampeners, Gt3 street alignment. Tires used are 18" Hoosier R6 at 40/44 hot front/rear. Temps 75F, and car has stage II GIAC/AWE engine mods, running 100 octane fuel. I have run the same car with the same mods previously but without the springs and alignment, so I have a basis for comparison. Also, car was run in Sport mode with sport PASM on and also PSM left on.

Handling wise, car is tightened up considerably. There is no understeer/push whatsoever. The nose turns in quickly and sharply. The rear end also is much more planted without feeling loose in high speed turns. I have a bad habit of making mid-corner corrections instead of marking the turn and steering with the throttle. The suspension never feels unsettled no matter the surface imperfections. No more pogo over rough transitions. The progressive rate Techart springs also don't feel overly harsh and there is never any bottoming out. This is the most planted and secure feeling car I have ever been on track with, and that includes my dedicated race/track car. There is a tremendous amount of feedback in your butt that is available now that the car feels more settled. The only thing that I would try to improve is the body lean. There is still just a touch much of it, and stiffer sways may help. AWE sells adjustable H&R's for the car, and GMG has adjustable Eibach's coming.

Power wise, I have to say that the GIAC in Race mode with 100 octane is simply a very sick and surreal experience. In street mode sometimes I would get a slight boost tail-off or timing retardation near redline. There is none now. Oil temps never got over 210F, and water temps were dead center. Boost was constantly at 18#, and I am hitting an easy 165mph before the end of the front straight at TWS. Considering that my exit from turn 15 is less than perfect, that the car would be even faster in 50F weather, and that I am too chicken so I brake hard at the end of the straight, downshift to 4th prior to turning into turn #1, I think 170mph at the end is easily possible. As far as I know, even the Cup cars can only hit 160mph at the end of the straight.

Some laps from today:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31244060&hl=en

great review and video, thanks for sharing eugene. I am surprised you didn't bottom out on those bumps/dips even with the car lowered. good to know.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:44 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

"street" Gt3 alignment specs are

front
camber -1.2
caster 7.5
toe 0.04

rear
camber -1.6
toe 0.16

I have to say my previous bad experiences with lowering springs made me very leery of such a mod. On my old E36M3 H&R sport springs dropped the car but were so mismatched to the dampeners that it rode like a jackhammer. This is actually a real improvement in both handling and compliance, which is very rare.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Looks like you had a blast, I know I would have. Thanks for the vid, almost had me there just the wrong seat...lol
Old 09-16-2007, 11:44 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Eugene - how well do you think it would run with 19's or would it be equiv.?

Reason you don't run 19's? I know they make more track tires in the 18's. Just a curious question.

Next time on the video - could you turn down the wind ? j/k
Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I run 18's because the wheels and tires are cheap. I am tempted in getting some MPSC's or Corsas but they must be woven with platinum belts for the prices they charge. Also, 19's are near impossible for the trackside crews to flip tires. 18's are hard enough as it is. You lose the ability to mount new tires at the track.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

I figured as much. I just thought with more and more 19's coming on track that 19's would come down in price and manufacturers would increase production on the 19's or get more options out in them.

As always very helpful!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hoosier does make R6's in 19" sizes compatible with our cars. The only problem is that at my track the trackside tire mounting equipment is very antiquated and 19's would be impossible to change out between run sessions.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eclou, nice video. I have a set of H&R's sitting in my garage that I plan on having installed this comming Saturday (also will get GT3 alignment # dialed in). I hope they are as good as the Techarts and came highly reccomended from several board members that have already made the plundge. Is the ride on the street livable with the new springs? I didn't want to spend a ton of money on the springs in case I am not happy with them (can swap them back to stock in the future). Thanks for all your positive informative posts!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought the Techarts on recommendation by Stephen at IA. He's installed and ridden in both setups. He chose the Techarts as they were more comfortable, though slightly less drop than the H&R's.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:19 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by eclou
I bought the Techarts on recommendation by Stephen at IA. He's installed and ridden in both setups. He chose the Techarts as they were more comfortable, though slightly less drop than the H&R's.
how does techart compare to GMG wc springs
Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 PM
997Vancity
Instructor

i have a used set of techarts..pm me for a good deal.

Quick Reply: Track impressions : Techart springs, Gt3 alignment