Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"torque steer" under hard acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "torque steer" under hard acceleration?

my RT12 (which as you know basically has a 996 TT drivetrain) has started to pull slightly to the left under hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear.

its just for a split second-- only come in just as the boost comes in-- and then its gone. but its enough to have to be conscious of it and be ready to keep the car straight as the power kicks in.

once past that initial kick, everything is normal. tracks straight, brakes straight, no problem at high speed.

have reproduced the symptoms several times, always on perfectly dry, clean, flat, straight roads. tire pressures are all normal, so my guess is its the wheel alignment, which i'm having checked very soon.

any other ideas what this could be?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
my RT12 (which as you know basically has a 996 TT drivetrain) has started to pull slightly to the left under hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear.

its just for a split second-- only come in just as the boost comes in-- and then its gone. but its enough to have to be conscious of it and be ready to keep the car straight as the power kicks in.

once past that initial kick, everything is normal. tracks straight, brakes straight, no problem at high speed.

have reproduced the symptoms several times, always on perfectly dry, clean, flat, straight roads. tire pressures are all normal, so my guess is its the wheel alignment, which i'm having checked very soon.

any other ideas what this could be?
Not Torque steer.

Something else.

Torque steer arises from under equal iength drive/half shafts on front wheel drive vehicles. Unequal length drive/half shafts for rear wheel.

AFAIK the half shafts the Turbos are equal lengths.

What do the tires like? Feel like? Any signs of feathering, cupping?

Alignment is worth checking but at the same time have the tech check motor mounts, transmission mounts, and all drive train bushings/mounts.

My WAG is one or more mounts is bad (loose or cracked or broken) and the a portion of the drive train is twisting under hard acceleration.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Not Torque steer.

Something else.

Torque steer arises from under equal iength drive/half shafts on front wheel drive vehicles. Unequal length drive/half shafts for rear wheel.

AFAIK the half shafts the Turbos are equal lengths.
you're right of course. my bad, i should have said FEELS like torque steer, as it reminds me of the tug on the steering wheel from an overpowered FWD car. thanks for pointing that out!

What do the tires like? Feel like? Any signs of feathering, cupping?
will check closely when I have the alignment done.

My WAG is one or more mounts is bad (loose or cracked or broken) and the a portion of the drive train is twisting under hard acceleration.
good point. a friend of mine suggested just this earlier tonight-- that it could be a bad bushing or something, causing uneven twist, as you've described.

will have a look and report back! again, thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:04 AM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Not Torque steer.

Something else.

Actually not true. You can also get torque steer with a strut front suspension because the steering axis can't be through the center of the wheel/tire assembly. Because of this, there is a levering effect on the kingpins. The reason why the Macan/VAG front suspension is so complex- the four control arms with ball joints create a virtual kingpin that goes right through the center of the tire/contact patch. Therefore any torque applied can't affect the steering. With the rear biased 997 system, torque steer isn't a big issue, whereas some of the moderate horsepower FWD Audis in the euro market need this suspension to eliminate torque steer.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:43 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I would say this can result from a few things, but I would look at:

1) Alignment
2) While checking alignment make sure there are no looks or worn suspension parts
3) Worn limited slip differential(s)

Let us know what you find out and good luck.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:16 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Being a four year old thread I would think the OP has fixed it by now..
Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

That's OK, I am an addict of the forums............ LOL
Old 03-23-2016, 11:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

RT12 is a cool car
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: "torque steer" under hard acceleration?