Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner Checking In

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012 | 10:11 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Default New Owner Checking In

I've returned to Porsche after years of owning MB AMG's and BMW M-cars. My MB dealer wanted my 2 AMG's and was willing to step-up to buy them. They offered me an 07 TT at/near wholesale (I think) to sweeten the deal because they are not a Porsche dealer. Here's the details:

Black on black coupe
Triptonic
Carbon package
Rear parking sensors
Sport Chrono
Navigation
PCM telephone upgrade (GSM sim card required)
Rear wiper
Memory adaptive seats
3M clear bra
23.9K miles
CPO through 12/2012 (does not transfer to me because I bought it from a non P dealer)

Previous P-cars were an 82 930 Turbo coupe and an 89 944 Turbo coupe.
Previous AMG's were an 08 CLK63 AMG Black Series (already miss it), 07 CLK63AMG carbriolet (matched pair), 07 SL55 AMG, 06 SL55 AMG (totaled), 05 E55 AMG, 04 CLK55 AMG. Previous BMW M-cars were an 03 M5 (best car BMW ever made) and an 02 M3 convertible.

There have been many other cars as well including three Shelby's, an airplane and a boat too.

I'll post pictures of my 997.1 TT once I get it detailed to my liking.

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2012 | 02:51 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome.

"PCM telephone upgrade (GSM sim card required)"

Most useless $800 option I ever bought.
Old 03-28-2012 | 03:29 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Welcome like your "handle", smart.
I believe you are about to be a good judge of whether forced induction is better than displacement. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts. I think that in the US, the lack of ability to travel at ridiculous speeds gives an advantage to the turbo for 0-100... That TT launch is something amazing in my view.
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:13 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Agree on the PCM telephone upgrade but it came with the car so I bought a cheap T-Mobile GSM sim card anyway just to have the option of using it. I also bought a portable Bluetooth speakerphone from Verizon so I can pair and use my Android phone handsfree. I haven't installed it yet so the jury's still out.

I'm still getting use to the way my TT handles and performs vs. my previous NA and supercharged V8's. First impression is my TT is more streetable and feels more planted (because of the AWD) than my AMG's, especially the Black Series which is just a beast. I'm also not sure who would win in a 0-100 dig but I think the TT might have a slight advantage although I don't have enough seat time yet to say this for sure. I'm also not use to the Porsche PCM interface and find it less capable than my previous AMG's. My steering wheel controls are also more limited and it seems at least from first blush that the Benz has the edge here too. Perhpas this has changed with later models, at least I hope so. All-in-all the 997TT is a TOTALLY different car than my previous AMG's and M-cars and I'm really looking forward to exploring it's capabilities. BTW, I tracked my Black Series and am considering doing the same with my TT. But, I've got to look a lot deeper into this before I do.

My DD is a tuned 09 ML550 AMG so I haven't completely cut my MB umbelical cord. Perhaps there might me a newer Cayenne Turbo in my future, who knows?
Old 03-29-2012 | 12:51 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Oh you just possibly opened a can of worms there watch it.
I will tell you that IMHO, the Cayenne Turbo is the most competent SUV out there. I see all porsches in your future soon man.
Old 03-29-2012 | 03:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Welcome.

"PCM telephone upgrade (GSM sim card required)"

Most useless $800 option I ever bought.
What were they thinking? I bought a pre-paid SIM card at Best Buy and forward my cell phone to that number when I'm driving. Works OK.
Old 03-29-2012 | 07:02 PM
rrm
Advanced

Default Us vs them

I know what I do and am about to cause....
I have both an AMG MB and an '07 tt. Both cars seem to be engineered to fit a particular driver. By that I don't cast dispersions on either product they are both magnificent auto mobiles. it is simply how they are designed. And that design is NOT primarily for trackers but rather as a DD for folks that do not want to become too intimate with the "living" parts of their cars. If I am wrong then why do both manufactures year after year make the cars less and less difficult to drive while at the same time making them less fun. Fun defined as the driver becoming less part of the car's driving life force and more of a passenger. PASM, TIP, PSM and MB's equivalent plus all the other sophisticated devices put in the cars to make them drive better and smarter but also taking so much of the fun out of driving them. Can they be altered and tracked or even not altered and tracked? Sure but in the case of the non-altered cars who is kidding whom?
You won't like this but there is no comparison between the full gut fun intensity of driving a ZO6 (I've had both the early 405hp and later 505hp versions). To drive those cars to their limit takes a skill level that most of us tt lovers just don't need or have. To accomplish much the same performance numbers from our cars is simplicity itself. In our 911s we are advised to buy the TIP transmission if we want the speediest shifting thus greatest drag performance. What skill, pray tell, does that take? I defy you to try driving a ZO6 from a standing start with anything more than a slight rev. Though it must be said that GM is starting to emasculate their drivers also by adding their version of "let the machine do it all for you" accessory's.
Having written all that let me assure the reader that I do indeed love my tt and if I could afford it, which I can't, I would rush down to the dealer and get a '12 tts. I know with no effort or skill on my part I could blow away ZR1's much less ZO6s. The tt or AMG is the perfect car for an old guy like me...rrm
Old 04-01-2012 | 01:49 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

How do you, people drive your TTs when the front is so long and so low? Don't you scratch it /tear it off on speed bumps and such? Real honest curiosity as I am thinking about 997TT (right now have 420hp/447lbft Audi TT RS coupe).

P.S. Porsche targets men over 45 for their 997 Turbo, and average US 997 Turbo driver is 53 years old. ;-)
Old 04-02-2012 | 12:03 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
How do you, people drive your TTs when the front is so long and so low? Don't you scratch it /tear it off on speed bumps and such? Real honest curiosity as I am thinking about 997TT (right now have 420hp/447lbft Audi TT RS coupe).

P.S. Porsche targets men over 45 for their 997 Turbo, and average US 997 Turbo driver is 53 years old. ;-)
Yes, the front lip gradually gets roughed up. I replaced mine once and will likely replace it again sometime soon (3 years in with my 09TT). I just look at it as a maintenance item.
Old 04-02-2012 | 12:16 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

THIS
Old 04-02-2012 | 09:03 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

I didn't know you could buy a prepaid sim card from Best Buy. Does it come with a pre-assigned telephone number that you can forward your cell phone to? I activated my T-Mobile sim last night and during the process was assigned a number. It only cost me $1.99 for the sim card and 10 minutes of airtime at .10c per minute. It came without a contact or monthly payment so I just add $$$ when I need to. I would prefer to drop T-Mobile in favor of a prepaid sim card that I don't have to keep charged.
Old 04-02-2012 | 10:59 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

I think the draw back to the prepaid is that they are only good for a certain amount of time. Ie. 6 months. After that it will be dead.
Old 04-02-2012 | 06:37 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

In Europe we have dual sim options. Same number, two sims. Switch one off, turn one on.
That seems like a better deal.
Even better get an aftermarket bluetooth thingy for the PCM, tooki or mobridge... the convenience of walking in the car, and the phone pairing while its in your briefcase in the frunk or in your jacket pocket is immeasurable...
Calling people form a prepaid number that they do not know or recognize is also a downside...
Old 04-03-2012 | 09:58 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, I'm looking into MoBridge now. It seems I can get Bluetooth and XM radio for my car, b oth of which I use.

Quick Reply: New Owner Checking In