Sponsored by:

turbo engines Mezger, 9A1 etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 AM
SJSwanson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo engines Mezger, 9A1 etc

I'm new so please haev patience. I bought a 997-2 2011 turbo. I love it. I got started reading about Porsche engines concerning the IMS failures. It seems to indicate those are DIFFERENT engines from the turbos?? Do they have a name, indicator (9A1 or so). Then I read that the 997-2 had received an inferior (cheaper) engine (9A1) and people should be buying the 2009 or older because they have the Mezger engines - race tested and easier to maintain / rebuild. My friend Art suggested I post here and I would get PLENTY of information. I've been searching the web for about a month and the only real differences folks have pointed out is the Mezger has repalceable sleaves for the cylinders (and the 9A1 does not) AND the Mezger is much more "complex"(??). There must be something more? Is the 9A1 race tested or going to be? Currently they have the Mezger engines - I believe. Is the 9A1 a solid engine - well tested?

I'm looking for enlightenment and understanding. I don't plan to get rid of my turbo any time soon (4 yrs + 3 yrs more warrenty). Did I say, I love my car!

Steve

Last edited by SJSwanson; 02-16-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Clean up spelling and add a comment.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What web are you searching?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 AM
SJSwanson
AutoX

Sorry, Michael. Obviously not the right places.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Steve, you have plenty of warranty left with your ownership. Don't worry about it and trade the car in for a new 991 turbo before your warranty is up. Or call Easycare or Fidelity.

For many folks including myself, I will look to own either a turbo up to a 2009, or purchase a used GT2 for the race bred engine.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine preference is subjective. Some people prefer the older (as you said until 2009) Metzger engine, but in non manual form have to go with Tiptronic, while the new DFI engines are coupled with the admittedly superior PDK. I would say that the GT1 block is proven to withstand significant modifications and a lot more hp, and so does the tiptronic. However assuming you plan to keep your engine below the 650 or 700hp mark, rest assured that Porsche has done their R&D and your car will make you eat words such as "inferior" and "cheaper" when it comes to its engine. You own a fine machine. Enjoy it as much as you can, and dont worry about what you read on the internet. What you read after the fact should not be validating your choice, or changing your mind! Remember what Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry I think... Opinions are like a$$holes: everybody has one...!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All my Porsches are Mezger powered, one even has the original wooden floorboards.
As mentioned, people buy these for different reasons.

Some people wouldn't know a dry sump if it fell on their foot, nor would they care.

Simply enjoy your car.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, has the new engine won on the track yet?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
BTW, has the new engine won on the track yet?
Has it even been raced on the track yet?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
SJSwanson
AutoX

Gents - Thanks to all for your responses. I certainly DO intend to enjoy my car for years to come - I love it - super car! However, the engineer in me has made me curious about these various engines as I asked in the original note. I really like Porsches (been driving a 911 since 1984) and would really like some details.

ltc Lewis: How far back does the Mezger go? I had a 1978 with wooden floors! My first and it hooked me.

Thanks to all for the help and info.

Steve
Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Originally Posted by SJSwanson
Sorry, Michael. Obviously not the right places.
Sorry couldn't resist a jab. I would use the search feature here. When I would search the web for Porsche info it would return me to Rennlist . Search simsgw, you will learn everything you want to know and then some.
Congrats!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM
bumperpip
Track Day

Steve--The Mezger engine, like its forebears, was raced by Porsche before going into production. Its pluses, in no order, are: reliability, revability, flexibility, highest quality materials, precision everywhere, unrivaled assembly quality, years of devoted incremental improvements, and a genius (Dr. Mezger) designer. Minuses,again,in no order: many, many, many parts, hugely expensive components(re:Nicasil liners), now maxed-out displacement, and, fatally, an inability to continue to meet increasingly tough emissions standards.
As to the 9A1 assets: About 50% fewer parts, will meet standards for the next ? years, nicely high specific power, well assembled, looks very much like a Mezger. Minuses: Cost-cutting is all too evident in too many places (no Nicasil, sorta/kinda dry sump, etc.), and, to me the most ominous of all---not only has Porsche not raced this engine, they haven't dared put it in the GT3, or GT3RS, or GT3 Cup, or GT3RSR. Cue the cellos.
Does this mean the 9A1 is a turd ? Well, no. I think it is clearly a step down (not back), as it is quite likely a stop-gap till the Porsche Next Big Thing engine arrives in a few years. I don't see 9A1 being fondly remembered 20 years on, where the Mezger has already earned its place in history, rightly so.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

That would explain this ???
http://www.porscheofthevillage.com/U...08-Porsche-911
Vs this
http://www.porscheofthevillage.com/U...09-Porsche-911
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MICHAELWWW
Or the 08 comes with a 6-speed manual while the 09 comes with PDK.

Wouldn't be teh first time a car seller attempted to capitalize on the purist market who would lust after the 6-speed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
Or the 08 comes with a 6-speed manual while the 09 comes with PDK.

Wouldn't be teh first time a car seller attempted to capitalize on the purist market who would lust after the 6-speed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
And Macster! my bad
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 AM
SJSwanson
AutoX

Thanks to all for the information - great stuff.
Michael: No sweat on early reply - Newbie learns. I REALLY appreciate the follow up and web sites.
bumperpip: GREAT summary! I appreciate the time you took to share your knowledge.

I went to the 991 opening at Momentum here in Houston tonight. NICE car - not ready to trade mine, however! I talked to a few folks including the maint mgr and got a basic "no problem known for the 9A1" but no race history. I have 6 more years of warrenty to let the good times roll!

Thanks again to all. Steve

Quick Reply: turbo engines Mezger, 9A1 etc