Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK

I've had my 2012 "S" for 2 months now, and have almost 2000 break in miles. I've been told by my sales person that you can go from the auto mode to the manual mode while moving. Has anyone tried this---seems a bit scary, and doubt I would do it intentionally. Secondly, what is the best way to use the Launch Control---in auto, or manual?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

I have done it for 58K miles in my Tip, and once on a test drive in a PDK.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You can just use the paddles to up/down shift on the fly when in Auto mode (I believe after 10 seconds or so it will revert back to Auto). You can move the gear shift into manual at any time. In that case the car will be in the gear that it was in when in Auto. You can then up/down shift as you please.

Also note that you can't damage the gearbox/car by downshifting too many times, in Auto or manual if the ECU determines that going into that gear will over rev the engine, it will not change down.

I believe to get the full effect of the launch control you have to be in Auto. Try it. It will give you a mini-whiplash.

Have fun.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Thanks for the the quick replies---kind of establishes what I thought, but just wanted to confirm it. Probably taking it for another 500 mile trip this week, so using the Launch Control should be on the agenda. A friend that has many fast cars went for a ride in his friends new "S"---said he's never been in anything faster
Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Just a word of caution, when you first use the launch control on this car make sure the car is pointed straight and you have plenty of straight road in front of you. You'll have a blast. It's addicting.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM
SBTT
Instructor

I'm going from So Cal to Nevada on the I15---plenty of long straight aways. Kind of assumed didn't want to be on a curve, but appreciate your concern. Mr. Valentine is always with me when I make that run---has saved my backside many times
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTT
I'm going from So Cal to Nevada on the I15---plenty of long straight aways. Kind of assumed didn't want to be on a curve, but appreciate your concern. Mr. Valentine is always with me when I make that run---has saved my backside many times
Be careful.

I drive I-40 between Barstow and Needles several times a year (less frequently I drive on I-15 between Barstow and LV) and upon at least one occasion my V1 warned me about a bear trap ahead, but before I came upon the cruisers parked on the east bound side of the freeway (I was heading west at the time) I spotted a low flying small plane at a lower than normal altitude flying parallel to the east bound lanes.

In my case had one or both of the cruisers not been sitting there with a radar gun on... Oh my. That bear in the air might have whipped around and clocked me going a bit over the limit without me even knowing it, until too late.

Whenever you see a "patroled by air" sign (or something similar) always always consider the threat from above not just ahead or behind you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You can throw the main shifter *** over to manual mode pretty much anytime. I tend to run that way because I find it to be smoother in stop and go situations.

I got my Turbo S in early July and still haven't tried the launch control. I have hit it hard and participated in three Drivers Ed events. Still haven't felt the need to check it out, but I am sure I will.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Macster,
I use both the 15 and the 40, depending on traffic---the 40 always lighter, but 30 miles further than my destination of Lake Mohave. About 10 miles north of Barstow, by Lake Dolores, they patrol by air occasionally. I do the drive almost every other week, so pretty tuned into where the CHP hides. Thanks for the info on the 40.
Jim
Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Maxsar,
Thought my 07 TT was quick, but the "S" seems like a rocket. Probably won't use the launch too often, but just have to try it once. Thanks for the comments.
Jim
Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTT
Macster,
I use both the 15 and the 40, depending on traffic---the 40 always lighter, but 30 miles further than my destination of Lake Mohave. About 10 miles north of Barstow, by Lake Dolores, they patrol by air occasionally. I do the drive almost every other week, so pretty tuned into where the CHP hides. Thanks for the info on the 40.
Jim
The stretch of I-40 between Barstow and Needles is a long one -- around 140 miles -- and every time I drive it I wish I could up my speed to be able to cover it in about an hour, or less...

But there are too many bears out there now. They can be anywhere. I found they like the areas where the freeway east and west bound lanes are seperated by small hills so oncoming truckers can't warn truckers coming the other way about the bear in the middle.

Also, this last trip I watched as a fast moving Lexus crested a slight hill and after starting down the other side seeing a CHP cruiser -- with no lights on parked on the shoulder of the road -- light up its light bar and pull over the Lexus.

About a mile away from this my V1 gave a me a warning and I had slowed, but that Lexus driver was completely caught by surprise. Heck I knew the cop was somewhere ahead but when the lights came on I was about as surprised as the Lexus driver, just not as sad, thank goodness.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Rocci
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from "hold on" the only other piece of advise the service manager had for me before trying launch control is that the tires be warm. Enjoy the rush!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Macster,
I haven't seen nearly as many CHP on the 40, especially West bound, as I do on the 15. Do see an occasional San Bernardino Sheriff out there, but unusual to have Valentine go off more than once or twice---must be time of day you are making the run. Usually run other cars out there, that don't stand out as much as the "S", but usually doesn't matter as V1 generally gives plenty of warning. The ones to watch for are the NPS Rangers---they turn radar on at last second

Quick Reply: PDK