Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Porsche - 20k maintenance - Tips/Any special things they should check?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Porsche - 20k maintenance - Tips/Any special things they should check?

Any issues or specific things I should request be done on this maintenance? I am taking it into the dealership next Tuesday to get this done.

Thanks!

Kevin

2007 Porsche TT with Chrono
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Brake fluid flush ( every 2 years), of course an oil change, Filters, may be transmission flush and more then likely the plugs ( i think they are 4 years or 30K miles). If you have ceramic brakes have the tech look at the pads % life left over as they could be expensive to replace.

The service could set you back close to $2000

Later

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Thanks C2. Anyone have a list of what is standard in the 20k maintenance?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Kevin
Thanks C2. Anyone have a list of what is standard in the 20k maintenance?
Your car's owners manual should list what's necessary at the 20K mile service.

Also, check with your dealer. Many dealers offer something that differs from what the manual calls for.

Now, sometimes the difference is based on something official from Porsche that modifies 20K list in the owners manual.

Other times it is just the dealer being well, goofy. Fuel injector cleaning, for example, or engine oil flush.

As for what specific things you should ask for that aren't due either on miles or time is up to you. This can be brake fluid flush/bleed (which is due every 2 years IIRC regardless of miles covered); coolant drain/refill (which I like to have done every 4 to 5 years, but then by the time 4 or 5 years rolls around I have covered 2 or 3 or even 4 timest the 20K miles); transmission fluid drain/refill, engine intake air filter; cabin air filter.

Really you can elect to have done any servicing over and above and beyond what the manual calls for that of course you're willing to pay for.

As for any issues, if you know of any speak up. For instance if the A/C has not been blowing as cold as it has been in the past, then get this listed on the service paperwork as something you wanted checked out. You may be charged for some diagnostics time if nothing is found amiss. Ask beforehand so you know.

Even if you know of no issues the techs should be very observant of any obvious -- that is obvious to their practiced/skilled/experienced eyes -- that requires attention.

Uneven tire wear, excessive tire wear, can be a sign the alignment is out of spec. (If you've never had the alignment done it is probably out of spec even if the tire wear is acceptable.)

Abnormal brake wear or signs of oveheating brakes.

And so on. Really the techs should eye ball everything.

This includes inspecting the car for any signs of fluid leaks from anywhere, or abnormally low vital fluids, like coolant, or brake fluid.

You should not have to tell them their job but say something to remind them you are anxious to hear of their opinion of the car's condition after they finish the servicing, that you want to be informed of any issues, no matter how small.

For instance, remaining tire life; brake life to name a few.

Areas that have been the source of issues for other cars: Engine oil leaks, from the RMS area, camshaft covers, spark plug tubes, but really everywhere there is an engine oil gasket, seal or plug.

Then there is the cooling system: Coolant leak sign around the water pump or really anywhere from a coolant hose, head gaskets, radiators, etc.

Transmission fluid leak from any gasketed or sealed areas, this includes the big shafts, of course, but also from around any shifter shafts. In some cases this requires the panels under the car be removed to get a good view of the entire transmission/diff assembly. Now this may not be done if the car is not receiving a transmission/diff fluid change. This is an argument for having a transmission fluid change done 'early' as 'preventative maintenance'. (I had this transmission fluid service done 'early' to my Turbo's 6-speed transmission (at around 35K miles) and the tech found a selector shaft seal leaking and the transmission was replaced under warranty.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 PM
kfliebl
Track Day

I just had the 4 year service done on my 2007 TT. Biggest thing is the spark plugs, they are going to pull the rear bumper cover, rear bumper and intercoolers out to replace them. The dealership did a fine job and the cost was 1650 including a brake fluid change.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 931 Likes on 563 Posts

My independent shop RMG is a dream. At 56K putting in a Europipe, they changed the plugs while everything was off. Saved me a bunch of labor doing it later. I like that they did it on their own initiative and told me later. That's the relationship I have there.

I am moving across country, so I had the 60K done at 57K.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Got the work done down at Auto Gallery Porsche in LA. Right off the 101.

did it all in one day - and they told me that my car was just shy of requiring the plugs to be changed out and that it was not really necessary.

Why do the Turbo's require the plugs to be changed out so early? I don't think I have had a car that required plugs.. ever..
Old 12-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Kevin
Got the work done down at Auto Gallery Porsche in LA. Right off the 101.

did it all in one day - and they told me that my car was just shy of requiring the plugs to be changed out and that it was not really necessary.

Why do the Turbo's require the plugs to be changed out so early? I don't think I have had a car that required plugs.. ever..
Couple of things. Porsche might have specified a early plug change to get feedback from the field how the plugs are holding up. There's a concern that the plugs may seize (due to corrosion) if left in 'too long'.

Now in some cases Porche has eased up on plug changes at least due to time and maybe miles too. As least this is what happened with the 996 Turbos.

And maybe the reports -- which include data pulled from the car's DME regarding engine performance/behavior -- from the field indicate the plugs are holding up better than expected.

The engine, to state the obvious, is turbo-charged. Its output rivals that of a much larger NA engine. As a result the Turbo engine works hard. This means its plugs work hard and all other things being equal the Turbo engine is going to be harder on plugs than a NA engine.

Might add that proper combustion is critical in all engines but if it is possible even more critical in a turbo-charged engine. Plugs play a critical role in getting proper combustion going, so these want to be in tip-top shape and more frequent replacement helps ensure this.

More frequent plug changes seems a small price to pay for having a car with one of these superb turbo-charged engines.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: CPO Porsche - 20k maintenance - Tips/Any special things they should check?