Sponsored by:

Advice needed on 997.1 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Pipehitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed on 997.1 purchase

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for years and now I'm at a point in my life where I can afford my dream car. I found a Turbo in Ohio with the 'right' options and an acceptable color combination. I am hoping someone here could provide feedback on the dealership or at least just let me know if this is a good deal or not:

http://byers.porschedealer.com/preow...37677/info.php

I know these usually go fast, I should be decisive and pounce on what I want, just need your opinions before I seal the deal. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

You know that car is yellow right? I joke, pretty cool........ asking price looks decent. I have found the dealers don't ask as much for yellow due to the limited market. For the miles, I think the asking price is in line. Obviously negotiate as much as you can. Options list looks nice as well.

How many miles will you be driving per year? I ask because at 30K miles if you drive 10-15K per year, this car will have 50-60K miles in a few years and that might hurt resale. Yellow plus 60K miles = tough to sell IMO.

Please don't take these comments negatively on the color. Just what I have seen in the market.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Pipehitter
Rennlist Member

Due to work, I frequently travel outside the USA, so I don't actually get to spend much time at home driving. I'd say I will be able to rack up 5k on a good year. I'm not crazy about the color, white would be my ideal choice, but yellow does look nice. It's way flashier than I'm used to, but I can live with it. I appreciate the insight, definitely something to consider. Anything else besides the color hurting the resale in the long run?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, on the first post you say that you are finally ready to get your dream car, but the post above seems like you are somewhat compromising on the color. I am sorry, I disagree.
I suggest you wait for the right white car to come about. I am sure that it is only a matter of a small waiting time. Patience is a virtue...
Have you considered traveling for the right car? Expand your search to neighboring states...
Good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
Well, on the first post you say that you are finally ready to get your dream car, but the post above seems like you are somewhat compromising on the color. I am sorry, I disagree.
I suggest you wait for the right white car to come about. I am sure that it is only a matter of a small waiting time. Patience is a virtue...
Have you considered traveling for the right car? Expand your search to neighboring states...
Good luck.
+1 - good advice!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
+1 - good advice!
I have to agree, if it's your dream car and you love white wait and you will find it. I wanted a Cobalt Blue Turbo and got lucky after looking around on the internet for only couple months.

Last edited by Bob in NY; 11-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Pipehitter
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep searching around the country. It's not that I don't like the way it looks in Speed Yellow, I'm just worried about the extra attention it would bring from the highway patrol! Need to see it in person to really make up my mind, gonna be flying in next week to take it for a test drive...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Speed yellow can look awesome, and I don't dislike it, BUT for me I am sure it would grow old very fast.

When I was going to order a GT3 a few years ago, and then when I ended up getting my TT instead, I spent a LOT of time choosing a color. I finally ended up back in black (actually got Basalt Black as the car on the lot had exactly the options I would have ordered (SS, Adaptives, thicker steering wheel, limited slip, 6 speed, and a few other things I can't remember right now). Black can be a PITA, but it looks beautiful (or bad ***) when clean and it is timeless.

Not trying at all to sell you on black; white is great too. But you will find what you really want if you expand your search and take your time.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipehitter
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep searching around the country. It's not that I don't like the way it looks in Speed Yellow, I'm just worried about the extra attention it would bring from the highway patrol! Need to see it in person to really make up my mind, gonna be flying in next week to take it for a test drive...
These cars attact attention because of their shape. I've gotten the attention (so to speak) of various city/county/state law enforcement officers in my blue Boxster and my silver Turbo.

My Torrid Red 06 GTO never got so much as a second glance from LEOs even though it was a bad *** sounding car (with stock exhaust) and nearly as fast as the Turbo.

I didn't own my SY Cayman S long enough to get any LEO attention.

The only thing I would have against owning another SY is the brighter colors appear to attract accidents. The other driver of the car that hit my SY Cayman S appeared to lock in on my SY car from nearly 300 feet away and steered for the car as if it had a bullseye painted on the side.

But buy the car of your dreams in the color you want. If that's SY, fine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking car with some nice options! It looks to have lowering springs on it or coil overs.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
My Torrid Red 06 GTO never got so much as a second glance from LEOs even though it was a bad *** sounding car (with stock exhaust) and nearly as fast as the Turbo.
Macster,

I've had 2 GTOs. One was MUCH faster then my turbo. 9.70s in the 1/4 on the juice and 10.10s-10.20s with blower only. PBM and the other is BBM and both had Monaro conversions.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Macster,

I've had 2 GTOs. One was MUCH faster then my turbo. 9.70s in the 1/4 on the juice and 10.10s-10.20s with blower only. PBM and the other is BBM and both had Monaro conversions.
My 06 GTO was as it came from the factory. It has been the most powerful car, the fastest car I've owned except for my 996 Turbo.

My Torrid Red came with the red hot leather interior. 6-speed. One of about 170 made. I should have kept it but damned GM servicing was crap. The techs would abuse the car whenever I brought it in for service. I got tired of the worry and traded it in when I bought my 08 Cayman S.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

This is a very very nicely optioned car. Beautiful. You may find a White one but ill bet it will not have the options this one has. Somebody ordered and loved this car. The bottom line is that a Turbo is a flashy car. And going to this color and options will only enhance it. I think the price is great but I am from Canada. Buy it. You've found a special one.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

These cars are great in any color but if white is what you want then you should wait until you find it...settling eventually leads to regrets or an excuse in 1-2 years to buy another one which IMO would be fun but I waited almost two years to find my car but I came close to getting exactly what I wanted...no engine mods and stock with low miles...and records...I paid a premium by most people's opinion but guess what?...I got the car! LOL

Winter months are good months to get deals on these types of cars if you are buying from a dealer...private sale will be harder because there is always an emotional attachment or opinion tied to the car and sometimes people take negotiations personally and the deal never gets done.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

There's a stunning White/Black GT2RS at Hennessy. Holy crap! Now that would kill your budget fast....and bugs too.

$224k, 800 miles. Wow!

Good luck in your search.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Advice needed on 997.1 purchase