Sponsored by:

Air mass sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Belching Piglet
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air mass sensor problems

i have been having alot of problems with my air mass sensor. Have had to replace 3 in the last 8 months.

Car is a 2007 TT with 18,500 KM on it. For the last 8 months, I have covered 8,000 KM on it of hard driving.

Keep getting check engine light warning. First was right side then left then right again. Was told that the TT is very sensitive to differential readings between the sensors. Diagnostic computer hooked up showed that it appears to be "sticking". Read that water entering the engine compartment can cause problems with it. Even after cleaning, it will cause the check engine light to come on after a short drive.

May car is parked outdoors and the temperature here is HOT .... About 34 degrees celcius. Humidity is also high. I live in Singapore.

Is this normal or is there a problem that causes the sensor to deteriorate so fast ? Appreciate any advise as it's driving me mad, not to mention, costing me funds that I could otherwise use to add go faster parts....
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Belching Piglet
i have been having alot of problems with my air mass sensor. Have had to replace 3 in the last 8 months.

Car is a 2007 TT with 18,500 KM on it. For the last 8 months, I have covered 8,000 KM on it of hard driving.

Keep getting check engine light warning. First was right side then left then right again. Was told that the TT is very sensitive to differential readings between the sensors. Diagnostic computer hooked up showed that it appears to be "sticking". Read that water entering the engine compartment can cause problems with it. Even after cleaning, it will cause the check engine light to come on after a short drive.

May car is parked outdoors and the temperature here is HOT .... About 34 degrees celcius. Humidity is also high. I live in Singapore.

Is this normal or is there a problem that causes the sensor to deteriorate so fast ? Appreciate any advise as it's driving me mad, not to mention, costing me funds that I could otherwise use to add go faster parts....
The ambient temp should not matter. The engine compartment gets much warmer than 34C when the car is shut off though in the case of the Turbo (at least this is true for the 996 Turbo and I suspect the same though holds for the 997) the engine compartment fan will be turned on even after the engine is shut off when the engine compartment temp rises too high (135F comes to mind but I am not sure of this number).

But the temperature will almost certainly be over 34C (93F).

I might point out that many of these cars reside in areas of the USA that have similiar climatic conditions as what you have where you are and premature MAF failure does not seem to be rampant.

What are the error codes associated with the CEL?

And what is 'sticking'?

Without knowing the answers to the above questions my WAG is the problem is probably due to one or more coils being bad, or at least affected by the moisture. (Even in milder northern CA in Feb. my 996 Turbo misfired upon being started after being left out overnight in heavy rain. I read the codes and cleared them and the symptom has not reappeared and I tried to get them to reappear.)

Anyhow, post the codes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

This engine has two MAF sensors that are sensitive to rain or water. If the car is left in the tropic storms you can get enough mist to get past the air filter. I would recommend that you have your Porsche Service center enlarge the two drain holes in the bottom of the filter box. If you have a heavy downpour you might want to inspect the filter box to see if you have water. This can happen if the car is parked at a angle.

Regardless, if you have water mist hitting your MAF you will knock out the sensor.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Belching Piglet
4th Gear

Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to get the codes but when I referee to diagnostic computer it was at my friendly workshop that I have known for a longggg time.

Will try the drain holes or maybe just cover the car.....
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to get the codes but when I referee to diagnostic computer it was at my friendly workshop that I have known for a longggg time.

Will try the drain holes or maybe just cover the car.....
Kevin's explanation for what's going on I like better than the MAF just being taken out by high (but not that high) ambient heat and high (but not that high) humidity.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:37 PM
hesperus
Racer

do you have an aftermarket air filter? i've heard/read of issues related to those.

i know some have said this is a myth, but just to eliminate all variables...
Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Belching Piglet
4th Gear

No aftermarket filters......car is stock all the way....(for the time being)
Old 08-06-2013, 03:47 AM
Belching Piglet
4th Gear

Error codes are P2190 and P2188
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Error codes are P2190 and P2188
Adaptation problems at idle speeds.

My WAG is there's an air leak or the MAF (or MAFs) are bad.

Since the codes are for the two banks it is a common (common to both banks) failure.

An air leak can be a common failure. Based on an earlier post by Kevin the engine is equipped with two MAFs. Thus both MAFs would have to be bad. For both to fail concurrently is or would seem unlikely, but Kevin did point out these cars have MAFs that are at risk from water that can subject the MAFs to exposure of water mist which can ruin the MAFs.

Search for an air leak but consider the MAFs too. If it does prove to be the MAFs you will have to think about ways to avoid the car being subjected to exposure to rain/water that can have the replacement MAFs ruined like the original ones.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Waliur Rahman
3rd Gear

I have the same problem. error codes P2188 and P2190. No aftermarket air filter. The car is always parked in the garage, not a chance for water.
Any recommendations on what I should change first? My air filter hasn't been changed in a year. Do I change both MAF sensors? Any recommendations on the parts?
I have a 2007 Carrera Cab

Quick Reply: Air mass sensor problems