Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997Turbo as a dual daily and track car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone that's really great info.

After thinking about keeping the Lotus and buying a 996tt for everyday use, I came to the conclusion it makes even less sense to keep the Lotus for a few track days a year. Because with the TT, I know I would use the Lotus even less.

So I'm back with the initial plan, sell the Lotus, buy a 997tt.

As for lap times with the turbo, it doesn't really matter. HPDEs (I'm an instructor for BMWCCA) are just that HPDE. It's not racing and lap times shouldn't matter. I just want a nice set up that drives properly. I guess if I get rid of the turn-in understeer I read about, then the car is gonna be entertaining on the track. It might even be fast. Brake fluid and track pads are gonna be added for sure. And probably semi-slicks too as I guess heat generated by huge power and heavy weight will destroy street tires in no time.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my tts as a daily driver that I could bring to the track. I got it right around July 1st and have participated in three DEs. I took it to the events as is. I burned through some rear pads over the course of the events, and need to replace the front pads soon. Otherwise, the car keeps purring along in its tts kind of way.

My only previous experience had been through the Porsche driving schools. I can say that they provide a great foundation. Their instruction definitely helped me move ahead farther and faster than I would have otherwise.

I had a lot of fun at the track. The heavy car makes you work to be smoother during sharp transitions. The power of the car is amazing. You can drive it safely and still have a fun time while going very fast. I could see where it could be dangerous for someone who doesn't respect the 530hp, but honestly with just a little common sense it end up being a great toy to play with.

I am not a track guy....at this point. The tts showed me how much fun I could have.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To reiterate what many have said.... gt3 LCAs, GT2 sways, r comps and track pads. For a few track days per year it's pretty damn good right out of the box.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I pick up a 997.1 TT my plan was to do the GMG WC springs, sway bars, RSS front and rear end links, front GT3 LCAs and the castor bushings that go in the LCAs. That along with the R comp rubber, high temp brake fluid, and Hawk DTC 60 pads should take out most of the slop and be a great HPDE car!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:55 PM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience: tracked with my '08 997TT and loved it. The kick down the straights is unreal and, as others have said, it makes you be smooth in the corners. The real difference is in the wet. So smooth in the wet. Really remarkable. Just put Pagid yellows or other good track pad (mine last longer and longer as I brake less) and racing break fluid. I've now moved on to a 997.2 GT3 RS. Amazing machine for the track. But still love the Turbo for driving on he street, miss that kick on the straights, and that handling in the wet from the AWD.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:57 PM
drdrank
Racer

PCCBs are crazy expensive. After burning through OEM, get slotted rotors. I have PFC racing slotted. Working great so far.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth GF
5-Any people here with 5yo kids? How much do they like riding in the Porsche back there?
The back seat of my 2010 turbo is bigger than on my 1999 C4.

I have had two 12 year olds in the back seat and they don't complain at all

I'm 6'4" and I can move the drivers seat up a bit and still not be scrunched, and the poor kid behind me seems to be alright for driving to the swimming pool or whatever.

5 year olds are fine back there. Yes it's tight, but it actually can carry kids or small people.

I've never tried sitting back there yet personally! haha!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
drdrank
Racer

I had someone 5'8" back there and he enjoyed a 1 hr ride to the airport...I (6'1") once sat back there just to see what it was like (car wasn't moving) and managed it just fine with my butt in one bucket and my feet stretched across to the other side. Cosy.

Quick Reply: 997Turbo as a dual daily and track car?