Sponsored by:

95 Octane = 18 mpg @ 30 mph average

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 08viper1
I have spooled the turbos up a bit in sport mode from a roll for a couple of seconds,but shut it off.It is very easy to drive esp coming from a stick Viper and ZR1s.I am getting the oil and filter changed next week,so it will be fresh.
Car will have about 700 miles on it then.I will wait til about 1000 miles and then play more.Car in not a DD,it would take me years to get 2500 miles on it.Thanks for the info you all.
IIRC the primary restriction during break-in is rpms not load. In fact a bit of load, varying loads, is necessary to complete the break-in.

The concern about engine rpms is that a new engine has more friction and this results in higher operating temps at the critical bearing interfaces. Maybe higher enough to cause the oil to break down with possibly disasterous consequences.

I can't imagine taking years to get 2K miles on a car. I can do 2K miles in a couple of days. (I've done nearly 1K miles in one day.)

If you want to accelerate (no pun) the break-in process it is up to you.

Start out with fresh oil and a new filter in the engine. Be sure you give the engine plenty of time to warm up. These engines can take a while, 10 or 15 minutes of driving, to get up to temp. And remember the entire car, running gear/transmission/etc is new so you want all of the car up to temp.

I won't go the trouble of typing in an accelerated break-in process. There are some around. Avoid those that recommend drive it like you stole it, or take the engine from idle to redline right off the bat.

Basically you want to subject the engine to varying but at times rather high loads (loads is not the same as rpms) so the cylinder pressures are up but you want to avoid higher rpms to avoid localized overheating, localized at the crank main/rod bearings and camshaft lobe/lifter and other critical interfaces.

Give the engine some stick -- lots of throttle but no need to go ***** to the wall right off the bat but keep rpms down -- and then back off and let the engine cool down some then repeat. Accelerating up freeway on ramps is a nice way to do this.

Over time you can raise the rpms limit. After you've gone through whatever break in process you think is best for you and your car I'd recommend another oil/filter service.

Frankly I find a couple of nice longish drives over a weekend or two way more fun than going out and trying to break in an engine following some web posted break-in recipe or guideline.

For example: I once drove my new Boxster 500 miles -- starting out from around the KC MO area and ending up in Branson MO by way of Columbia, Jefferson City and other cities -- just to get a steak dinner at Branson. Then after dinner I pointed the car north and back to KC. I avoided steady speed cruising by avoiding the freeways and instead taking nice state highways with stops and varying speed limits and interesting turns.

After a few of these drives one finds 2K miles comes up pretty quick.

Keep an eye on vital fluids. A new car is not immune to a fluid leak. Keep an eye on gas consumption. In some ways a change (improvement in) gas comsumption is a sign the engine is breaking in. Keep an eye on oil consumption. A new engine can burn a bit of oil. Carry a quart or two of the proper oil with you and check the oil almost every chance you get.

(At a dealer the other day when customer called in asking about oil. Seems the customer was 30 or more miles away from the dealer and the car's oil level was way down and no shop in the area had the right type of oil available. I offered to make an emergency delivery -- I can cover 30 miles with my eyes closed (so to speak) -- but the service manager emailed me back to say the customer's spouse was coming up the next day and would pick up some oil at the dealer.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.....

Quick Reply: 95 Octane = 18 mpg @ 30 mph average