Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo S tire options

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

I now have just over 1200 miles on the SS. Mostly my DD pattern. Local traffic average 30 mph. Occasional moderate on-ramp grip check. In that kind of driving, they are as comfortable and quiet as the PS2. If I did not know they are heavier, I probably would not notice the difference in initial turn in, but I do. That is my only complaint.

So I took off for some local canyon carving, not pushing it too hard. It could be the compound or the extra 1/32" front and 1.5/32" rear, but feels like slightly more grip than the PS2. Which I did not expect from a 300 wear rating versus the PS2 220.

The only fair comparison to PS2 would be in some remote twisties or at the track. For around $500 a set less than PS2, and a better wear rating, I am likely to stay with SS for my kind of driving.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 AM
kw911TT
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for PS2
Old 09-10-2011, 12:27 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 343 Posts

I now have about 700-800 miles on the PSS. They replaced RE-11 and there really is no comparison. As a pure perf. tire the RE-11 is better.

I purposely removed the RE-11's with still plenty of tread left. I always find it amusing when people write tire reviews and they start with "my X tires are down to the cords so I replaced them and these new tires are great". Well, pretty much anything round and made of rubber will feel great LOL. so, wanting to make a fair comparison I removed these well before their time.

I have a track day in 2 weeks and made the tire change before I knew I was going to be tracking the car. Had I known, I would have not made the change.

I've also had PS2 and the PSS is a better all around tire. They are very comfortable and quiet. If you don't care about every last bit of grip they are very good.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I now have just over 1200 miles on the SS. Mostly my DD pattern. Local traffic average 30 mph. Occasional moderate on-ramp grip check. In that kind of driving, they are as comfortable and quiet as the PS2. If I did not know they are heavier, I probably would not notice the difference in initial turn in, but I do. That is my only complaint.

So I took off for some local canyon carving, not pushing it too hard. It could be the compound or the extra 1/32" front and 1.5/32" rear, but feels like slightly more grip than the PS2. Which I did not expect from a 300 wear rating versus the PS2 220.

The only fair comparison to PS2 would be in some remote twisties or at the track. For around $500 a set less than PS2, and a better wear
rating, I am likely to stay with SS for my kind of driving.
Agreed, i went SS also. I did a mild canyon slam yesterday as PCH was locked down, i think it rides softer, grip is good, still need to see rain performance
Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've switched from the S-02 to the S-02A. Excellent in all respects though I haven't pushed them in the wet.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I'm sure you're still under factory warranty so consider that PS2's are N-rated and PSS are not. I recently took Pirelli P-Zero's off after 5,000 miles and replaced with PSS. My car is not under warranty so non-N rating didn't bother me. Pirelli's were harsh riding, noisy and I could never get them properly balanced even with a great shop using the latest Hunter equipment. PSS are great. BTW, PSS sizes for the TT are available - 235/35-19 F and 305/30-19 R.
I wonder if extended warranties carry these same clauses as does factory warranties that N rated should be on the turbo??
Old 09-24-2011, 12:40 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 343 Posts

just did a 2 day event, however it rained most of the time. Good news was that the MSS was pretty impressive in the slick stuff.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
I have 3,800 miles on my car and its bridgestone RE050A tires are nearing the end. (I have been doing extra hot laps around the clinic parking complex in an effort to speed the demise of the unloved bridgestones!) I have been disatisfied with the road noise and ride of the Bridgestones, but relatively happy with the grip. Contemplating the tried and true Michelin PS2's vs the new pilot super sports ( vs less likely Pirelli corsa systems for max grip). Any feed back from users of the above would be appreciated. I noticed the wear rating on the new super sports is higher than the old PS2's which makes me nervous grip will be less. Also any experience with the super sports vs PS2's re road noise and ride would be appreciated. The car is my daily driver and the noise from the bridgestones is pretty tiresome when I'm not flogging the car.

The PS2's are ~$650 more than the supersports. If there is a significant advantage in grip or comfort to the PS2's, I don't mind the extra cost. If they are essentially equal, I'll keep the money and get the Supersports.

Any feedback would be appreciated from users of any of the above tires in our cars

Thanks,
Patrick
What I have read the PSS are better or closely better in all categories over the PS2 N2. PS2N1 no longer can be found. I had to make the choice of two PS2 N2 on rear keeping my fairly new PS2 N1s up front or getting all four PSS. Michelin/Porsche folks said (via phone) to put the PS2N2 on rear leaving PS2 N1s on front because Porsche recommends Ns with same N1 or N2 on same axle. I think very soon Porsche wil put their N-blessing on PSS.. The N series has just a slightly different rubber-additive composition.

Quick Reply: turbo S tire options