Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Issues with Aftermarket Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It would seem an oxymoron to flash a car and drive it with some "sanity".
The idea of a flash is to boost hp/torque, which does increase cylinder pressure/temps, which would lead to to drive it "hard".

If you flash a car and then never drive it in the boost, what is the point of the flash in the first place?

If you have questions regarding issues such as this, the expert I would suggest you speak with is RL member "Kevin" from the 996 turbo forum.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I would beg to differ and agree with TT Surgeon's post.

PAG knows when the ECU has been 'flashed' ... trust me.

Your warranty coverage will be determined by PCNA, who will reimburse the dealer for warranty service.
It is at the discretion of the dealer to decide if the modifications done to a car are of sufficient scope to risk them "holding the bill' if PCNA decides to decline warranty coverage at some point.

If a car is up on a lift and a PCNA manager walks thru a dealer's service bay and sees a modified car, it might not be your lucky day.
But again, it all depends on your relationship with the dealer.

+1

The dealer with a simple PIWIS scan won't be able to see the flash as the "number of programming" counter is not changed.
And if no faults are present they might not even see it by reading the VAL.

However in case something goes wrong and a warranty claim is submitted, Porsche may/can look some specific values of the DME that will reveal that the original map entry was tampered.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TustinJim
My mod exhaust randomly sets off the secondary cat converter sensor indicating too much unburnt fuel, which is weird becasue the first in-line cat senson never picks it up. I don't know what's going on... I just keep restting the check engine light, whcih is a pain in the ***. Porsche dealer says warranty won't cover due to the mod.
It's not weird at all, the pre cat o2 check engine air fuel ratio the after cat checks emissions, there is a preset range of temperature (hotter) it's looking for and not getting.

You have a low cell count cat installed and they do not heat up.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
It's not weird at all, the pre cat o2 check engine air fuel ratio the after cat checks emissions, there is a preset range of temperature (hotter) it's looking for and not getting.

You have a low cell count cat installed and they do not heat up.
Shouldn't just be low cell cat causing this. A well-engineered 100 cell cat (such as supplied by Europipe and others) does not cause CEL's.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

whereas a bad one would, I fear...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Shouldn't just be low cell cat causing this. A well-engineered 100 cell cat (such as supplied by Europipe and others) does not cause CEL's.
The mega dollar tri Metal coated 100 cell cats is what I have from CG, this coating helps get the exhaust temps up to prevent the cat light from triggering and it may meet emissions...not sure if they would work without a tune?!

Quick Reply: Warranty Issues with Aftermarket Exhaust?