Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Issues with Aftermarket Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warranty Issues with Aftermarket Exhaust?

Noobie Here - In the process of acquiring a 08' TT Cab CPO, I plan to have the TUBI exhaust installed shortly after purchase. Has anyone experienced repairs to their TT that were declined to be covered under warranty due to the aftermarket exhaust? What about with a EVOMSit Software upgrade like the one below:
EVT S1 550 Includes:
-EVOMSit ECU Tuning
-EVOMS Boost Recirculation Valves (Pair)
Thanks in advance..
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
Noobie Here - In the process of acquiring a 08' TT Cab CPO, I plan to have the TUBI exhaust installed shortly after purchase. Has anyone experienced repairs to their TT that were declined to be covered under warranty due to the aftermarket exhaust? What about with a EVOMSit Software upgrade like the one below:
EVT S1 550 Includes:
-EVOMSit ECU Tuning
-EVOMS Boost Recirculation Valves (Pair)
Thanks in advance..
Depends on your dealer. Most likely will have any powertrain-related problems denied under warranty with an ECU change; probably less likely with an exhaust system. Folks will tell you that dealer will have to show that mods caused the problem which may be the law but first step dealer will take will be to deny warranty - again depending on the dealer. I believe that Porsche cannot offer CPO if there are engine mods so even though you have a CPO you might not be able to transfer the warranty when you sell. Having said all this I have an aftermarket exhaust on a CPO 2008 TT - I just don't worry about it.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Exhaust, no. ECU completely voids the warranty.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you consider upgrading the BRV's? Do some research on the subject I think you will read some interesting opinions.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
RFrench
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Exhaust, no. ECU completely voids the warranty.
I just upgraded my ECU using Softronic. Because this is done through the OBDII port from my PC it is easy to get around warranty issues. The softronic folks sent both my original map and my tuned map. Whenever I go to the dealer I just replace maps so they only see the original. Because softronictuning is also including the Durametric cable I can also clear any faults. Dealer hasn't got a clue - warranty just fine. You may wish to consider upgrading your exhaust then use Softronic or something similar (that allows you to keep your old map) for the ECU upgrade.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RFrench
I just upgraded my ECU using Softronic. Because this is done through the OBDII port from my PC it is easy to get around warranty issues. The softronic folks sent both my original map and my tuned map. Whenever I go to the dealer I just replace maps so they only see the original. Because softronictuning is also including the Durametric cable I can also clear any faults. Dealer hasn't got a clue - warranty just fine. You may wish to consider upgrading your exhaust then use Softronic or something similar (that allows you to keep your old map) for the ECU upgrade.
I wouldn't be too sure the dealer hasn't a clue or can't get a clue.

Besides, what you're doing is fraud.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i've heard that the dealer/porsche can detect any mods to the ecu if they really want to know even though you download the original file prior to warranty related repairs. in regards to the exhaust, the dealers themselve advertise aftermarket exhaust upgrades so i would not think that the exhaust would void warranty repairs. i personally would not do anything to the ecu until your warranty expires..
Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
RFrench
Rennlist Member

My warranty expires in a couple of months, so I'm not so worried. I haven't needed any warranty work done on the car so no fraud committed. The old map will be useful when it comes time for emissions.

In terms of exhaust, the dealer has never had issues. They've asked I keep old exhaust if ever I intend to sell the car back to them, so they can put it back and offer car as Porsche certified. Not sure it matters that much as the car gets older.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thansk for the input - Look's like I'll just stick to doing the exhaust but check with the dealer first...maybe I can pay them to do the install...
Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The ST, and all obd2 port flashes are detectable, regardless of what the aftermarket companies claim. I have the fvd, which uses the ST flashloader program with the same cable, etc, trust me they were well aware of it when I had my car in there last, even 'back to stock' flash.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tt surgeon- I've enjoyed reading your posts just wanted to say THANK YOU!

How's life been with the FVD? I'm considering the upgrade. My tech is wonderful - works with ronda who I've heard only positive responses. I wanted to really settle into the TT coming from a C2. Done over 5k in 3 mo. what a blast, makes running from NOLA to houston nothin..

I'd like to do an exhaust as well. you have euro pipes or fvd? any clutch issues? my tech down the road said - yeah you may need to do it... we turn wrenches on the side. I sold a kit when I sold 911's for a 996 TT- FVD- what a monster - no issues - tech hasn't had any.

They can look and see the engine run time vs mileage etc to find irregularities -i've heard FVD can make a copy - update it if necessary. Although my dealer won't look bc well - its being done there.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 AM
TustinJim
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

My mod exhaust randomly sets off the secondary cat converter sensor indicating too much unburnt fuel, which is weird becasue the first in-line cat senson never picks it up. I don't know what's going on... I just keep restting the check engine light, whcih is a pain in the ***. Porsche dealer says warranty won't cover due to the mod.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What type of exhaust is it?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RFrench
I would beg to differ and agree with TT Surgeon's post.

PAG knows when the ECU has been 'flashed' ... trust me.

Your warranty coverage will be determined by PCNA, who will reimburse the dealer for warranty service.
It is at the discretion of the dealer to decide if the modifications done to a car are of sufficient scope to risk them "holding the bill' if PCNA decides to decline warranty coverage at some point.

If a car is up on a lift and a PCNA manager walks thru a dealer's service bay and sees a modified car, it might not be your lucky day.
But again, it all depends on your relationship with the dealer.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Fishdoc
Rennlist Member

Question.
If a tt was flashed and car driven with "some" sanity
and not tracked what is risk of engine failure?

Do any of you know stories to share of engine failure
because of flash?
Just interested in anecdotal tales of woe.

Quick Reply: Warranty Issues with Aftermarket Exhaust?