Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's my Turbo worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011 | 10:33 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Default What's my Turbo worth?

It might be time for B to get something new.

Slate Grey/bk ($5000 option)
9500 miles
Manual 6 speed with factory Short Shift
Sport/Chrono
Porsche Crest on headrests
Sport seats

I can't remember the other options but it's not heavily optioned.

I understand there are probably 6 different ways to price the vehicle:
Wholesale
Retail
Trade In
Private Party etc.

I'm looking for the range. The car is in perfect condition save for the tires that need replacing from some track days. Should I replace the tires or let the new owner pick his poison?

Thanks,
B
Old 01-10-2011 | 02:01 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

I would put new tires on for sure and I think your range is realistically $75k-$85k.
Old 01-10-2011 | 02:10 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpcourt
I would put new tires on for sure and I think your range is realistically $75k-$85k.
Mother-StrekStrekStrekStreking ouch.
Old 01-10-2011 | 04:18 AM
B-Line
Drifting

suggestion for new tires? Selling the car so looking for something practical.
Old 01-10-2011 | 07:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I would use Bryce's 996Turbo calculator and extrapolate for a 997Turbo...the 2 cars should follow the same curve ...
Old 01-10-2011 | 09:09 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I would use Bryce's 996Turbo calculator and extrapolate for a 997Turbo...the 2 cars should follow the same curve ...
Link? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2011 | 12:37 PM
SeattleBum
AutoX

I paid $84k for an '07 Turbo a few months ago. Had 17k miles, decently optioned and about $16k in aftermarket stuff on it. So, $75-85k sounds like a good ballpark.
Old 01-10-2011 | 12:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Link? Thanks.
Don't have a bookmark or link on this computer. I would search the 996T forum...it's been discussed many times
Old 01-10-2011 | 12:41 PM
Jasont2
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by B-Line
suggestion for new tires? Selling the car so looking for something practical.
Hankook V12's are an extremely affordable option to replace your worn out tires.

I bought my 08tt a couple of months ago for $83k retail. Granted, it has a lot more miles at 34k, but it also is more heavily optioned (PCCB brakes, Alcantara everything, deviated stitching, ltd slip diff, etc.)

07's here in Dallas similar to yours can easily be picked up in the 70-80k range, so you will get less than that if you sell to a private party or wholesale it to the dealer.
Old 01-10-2011 | 02:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Don't have a bookmark or link on this computer. I would search the 996T forum...it's been discussed many times
Found it - thanks.
Old 01-10-2011 | 02:38 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Not certain that the less desirable 996 can be used to value the more desirable 997....(not discussing performance here).
As far as tires..keep in mind that if the vehicle will be CPO'ed by the buyer then it MUST have N1 (Porsche approved) tires.
The price range mentioned here is realistic.
Old 01-10-2011 | 03:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

It might be time for B to get something new.

Slate Grey/bk ($5000 option)
9500 miles
Manual 6 speed with factory Short Shift
Sport/Chrono
Porsche Crest on headrests
Sport seats

I can't remember the other options but it's not heavily optioned.

I understand there are probably 6 different ways to price the vehicle:
Wholesale
Retail
Trade In
Private Party etc.

I'm looking for the range. The car is in perfect condition save for the tires that need replacing from some track days. Should I replace the tires or let the new owner pick his poison?

Thanks,
B
Visit kbb.com or nada.com and plug in the car's details and get a range prices from trade in (lowest) to retail (highest).

'course the above just gives you some numbers. What you get for the car as a trade-in, private sale (retail sale is by a professional car seller) depends upon many factors.

You really should replace the tires. I'd urge you to put on N rated tires. Chances are most people who look at the car are going to be somewhat Porsche savvy and will consider non N-rated tires a negative.

If you do go to trade the car or private sale it, what you want is a car that needs no tires, servicing, and of course look as pristine as you can make it look.

(Even as a trade if the car needs servicing soon the dealer's going to offer you less if the car needs servicing and he's going to bias his estimate of what it will cost to service the car high to justify lowering what he allows you as a trade in allowance. The difference between what he 'quotes' you the car's servicing will cost and what it does cost him, if he even does it, is just profit. He doesn't care where the profit comes from, profit is profit. By having the car's servicing up to date also puts you on firmer ground cause you can arque for a high trade in allowance pointing out it will cost the dealer *nothing* to put this car on the floor and your price for the car is a 'fair' price. Hehehe.)

Private sale too. From your point of view, it is an easier sell to not have to offer any qualifications concerning the car. IOWs, you don't want to hear yourself saying "It is a great car, blah blah, but the xx,xxx servicing is due in xxx miles" or something like this.

You want to be able to stress that if the person looking at your car buys the car the car needs nothing now and in the foreseeable future. Point out the the servicing mileages/schedule in the maintenance section of the owners manual and suggest that the car could go 1 maybe 2 years before it needs its first oil change or any other service or wear items, like tires, etc.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2011 | 04:06 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Wow, I really took a beating on this vehicle. Guess that's what you get for buying a brand new Porsche Turbo, launch car the month it came out.

The good news is, at least I didn't pay a premium.

I don't know why I've become bored of it. Maybe it's cause I feel as though I'm always having to "hold back" while I'm driving it. I've had my 993 for 10+ years and I've never really given serious thought to selling it.

I also think, somewhere in the back of my head, I might just enjoy a 2007 GT3RS in some wild color!

I figure, it sucks to sell low but since I can also buy low (weren't those cars fetching a $50,000 premium?) and now are within a stones throw of turbo pricing!

Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2011 | 05:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Wow, I really took a beating on this vehicle. Guess that's what you get for buying a brand new Porsche Turbo, launch car the month it came out.

I don't know why I've become bored of it. Maybe it's cause I feel as though I'm always having to "hold back" while I'm driving it. I've had my 993 for 10+ years and I've never really given serious thought to selling it.

I also think, somewhere in the back of my head, I might just enjoy a 2007 GT3RS in some wild color!

I figure, it sucks to sell low but since I can also buy low (weren't those cars fetching a $50,000 premium?) and now are within a stones throw of turbo pricing!

Thoughts?
You only take a beating if you sell the car. Maybe you need to use the fear of taking a beating to motivate you to find a way to unbore yourself regarding the Turbo?

If you find you're having to hold back driving the Turbo won't you be faced with even more holding back if you get a GT3 RS?

Essentially you have a gun that shoots straighter then you can aim and you want to sell the current gun at a loss to buy a gun that shoots even straighter than gun you are getting rid of.

'course there's always the attraction of having something new. And you could do worse, I guess (no direct experience), than buying an 07 GT3 RS.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2011 | 08:48 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Cool

Thoughts?
I think I understand the feeling... same reason you still hold on to the C2S.. The 997TT, similar to the 996TT, is a fantastic car that goes fast as heck, but it is muted somewhat. So you don't feel the road or the speed as you do in the 993 C2S. If that is the case, then you are sure to feel at home in a GT3RS. With the GT3RS you get more of that car and road feedback.

Quick Reply: What's my Turbo worth?