Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving the new PDK in Sport Plus Mode.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:32 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Driving the new PDK in Sport Plus Mode.

For those of you who have the sport chrono package with the new PDK you should try the sport plus mode to truly feel the beast that is held within this machine. I was on Rt 84 today in CT, and what a beautiful day it was for a drive. I drove down to Danbury Porsche to see my sales rep about the new hybrid Cayenes that are coming out. On the way home since I had the car really warmed up I decided to really try out the sport plus mode on my new Turbo in auto mode and let the computer decide on the shifting scenario. After the ECU acclimated itself to my driving style it settled down in third gear at around 4000 RPM's. There was some traffic on the road so I couldn't really get away just yet. Now if you remember sport plus only shifts close to red line depending on your present ,driving tempo. I finally had a clear lane and pressed down on the accelerator. Not kick down, just an even acceleration. I can only imagine what kick down would produce with the over boost. Just plain scary I think.
The 2010 Turbo quickly rose the RPM's past 5000 and then to 6000 shifting at 6500 RPM. It was now into fourth gear and charging like a lion with a sound that was becoming intoxicating. At close to 7000 RPM's this untamed beast shifts now to fifth gear with a swoosh of the turbo spinning that I had yet to hear. At that point because of safety I shut hear down, amazed at the G-force my baby just gave me. She was like a young colt that had finally been let out to run. And run she did. I've said it once and I'll say it again. This is the most powerful car I've ever driven. She even sits down lower on the road when accelerating, assisted by the rear wing and front spoiler. You can feel it sqeeze down as your moving. We're lucky to drive such a racing machine. A machine designed with German perfection for the road or track.

For those who have other stories about this great sports car please share them on this board. Let's try and make this forum more enlightening. Again post any perfomance or car care info that would be pertinent to other TT owners.

Jay

Last edited by DJ23; 08-29-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Story !!!!!
Jay cant wait till I get to try that in my Turbo looking like a after the new year present but getting close.
I guess there is no need to ask if your Happy with your PDK Turbo

Keep enjoying I am jealous for now.

Now take her out for a Sunday stroll this afternoon
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really enjoyed the story, Jay. I agree that it's always great to read other people's stories and personal experiences. Some of the best I have read here are short stories like yours and others' road trip tales.
Personally, I am still flip-flopping about buying an '09 6spd or a '10 PDK next year. I've always loved a manual sports car, but the PDK is of course a different breed of auto in these cars. Your story just gets me leaning towards the PDK again for a great all-round car for stop and go traffic / wifey-approval, and it's certainly no slouch for the usual highway twisties fun. It may just come down to price in the end...
Thanks for the vicarious experience!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
jcm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a redline shift from fourth the fifth - was that like 140? be careful out there on public roads.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcm
a redline shift from fourth the fifth - was that like 140? be careful out there on public roads.
JCM, point well taken. I had no one infront of me and as I said, I quickly shut her down. Moving way to fast and not enough road ahead. But it was something I won't soon forget.

Jay
Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 PM
jcm
Intermediate

Believe me I know the feeling. I'm no saint but I have learned a few hard lessons. Get that monster on the track and really enjoy it. You'll drive home doing 5 under the limit with your arms still shaking from the rush!

Good luck with that awesome car!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
...I was on Rt 84 today in CT, ... There was some traffic on the road ... It was now into fourth gear and charging like a lion ... At close to 7000 RPM's this untamed beast shifts now to fifth gear ...
Jay
Makes me wanna trade up. Great story.

Word of caution: A few weeks ago Canadian police arrested a young man who bragged about speeding on a public road on a BMW site, giving the street name and date in his post (look up!). Since cops now read ALL forums, they canvased the street for witneses and found two. Then contacted forum administrator, got the guys' info and now he is facing a long list of charges.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in the PDK boat fora while now. But I test drive a manual a few weeks ago and fell in love. But driving around in traffic suck with a clutch pedal. Don't want to be farting around on the 405 during rush hour with a manual. Sure is the suck!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

PDK is really the way to go on the turbo to exploit its full potential. With PDK, the turbo S will be quicker than even the GT2 RS to 100 mph. The GT2 RS will probably be faster after that depending on the driver and road conditions. Anyone have any road test articles on the new turbo S?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Turbo S only comes with PDK. I'd really love to drive a 2010 Turbo S someday...truely awesome cars I can only imagine.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

nice write-up Jay! Believe it or not, I have never hit the sport plus button on my C2S cab. I might try it out tomorrow after reading your great story!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Why would anyone drive in anything other than sport plus at all times?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I drove a PDK 911 Carrera S yesturday at road atlanta. A very smooth and quick transmission. I have an 08 Turbo 6 speed. I would still rather have that car in a manual. Too me it's just more fun.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:12 PM
zacharias
1st Gear

Thumbs up 911 Turbo S

Hi Jay. Just received my 2011 911 Turbo S. Just reached the break in milage and starting to push a little harder. You used the correct word to describe the Sport Plus Mode. Truly Scary, but fun. As you mentioned, you need to get used with the high rpm's before the upshift (or for that matter the downshift) occurs. The only way to have some control over the high revs, is with the kickdown feature. Awsome. It is sweet alright.I am taking the car to the track next week end and obviously I am very excited about testing the car in the proper venue. This is my third 911 turbo (still have the 993), but nothing compares. Will let you guys know.
Best, Zach
Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zacharias
Hi Jay. Just received my 2011 911 Turbo S. Just reached the break in milage and starting to push a little harder. You used the correct word to describe the Sport Plus Mode. Truly Scary, but fun. As you mentioned, you need to get used with the high rpm's before the upshift (or for that matter the downshift) occurs. The only way to have some control over the high revs, is with the kickdown feature. Awsome. It is sweet alright.I am taking the car to the track next week end and obviously I am very excited about testing the car in the proper venue. This is my third 911 turbo (still have the 993), but nothing compares. Will let you guys know.
Best, Zach
Zach,
I think that you are doing it the right way. Need to go to the track to safely enjoy all the parameters of this racing beast. Nice to see you have a 993 TT as well. The car that truly set the stage for the turbos that we see today. The only difference is the PDK. I know a lot of guys still love the manual, but the PDK in sport or sport plus mode is an experience like no other. Enjoy the ride and report back after you go to the track.

Jay

Quick Reply: Driving the new PDK in Sport Plus Mode.