tip vs pdk - conflicted

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default tip vs pdk - conflicted

I need a automatic for several reasons, so here is the issue for me:

i have driven several 09 TT with tip, and i am conflicted. Do i go with a proven bullit proof race engine in the 09 with a somewhat dated ( but proven) transmission, or do i go with the 10 with maybe a better trany and engine?
Money difference aside, i'll keep this car for several years, so i am want to get one that will not have me second guessing my choice........
Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

definately the 2010...hands down
Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 510 Likes on 309 Posts

I agree with malmasri. If money does not matter, and you need PDK/Tip, then definitely get the 2010 with PDK. I think Champion, EVOMS and some others are showing the 997.2 is very solid platform. Even with the loss of the GT1 engine, the 997.2 PDK is simply a better combo than the 997.1 Tipronic. Now, a 997.1 manual vs a 997.2 PDK would be a tougher call.

Last edited by sparkhill; 04-19-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2010, 10:09 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK hands down.. Old technology Tip not worth it with whats out now..
Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

PDK - no if ands buts...its a hell of a transmission...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

PDK vs. Tip alone would sway me to 2010. But I am a very happy camper with my 09 6 speed and have no regrets at all.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lic265
I need a automatic for several reasons, so here is the issue for me:

i have driven several 09 TT with tip, and i am conflicted. Do i go with a proven bullit proof race engine in the 09 with a somewhat dated ( but proven) transmission, or do i go with the 10 with maybe a better trany and engine?
Money difference aside, i'll keep this car for several years, so i am want to get one that will not have me second guessing my choice........
Before you decide, spend some time in a PDK equiipped car.

You know how a Tip behaves I assume in a wide variety of driving situations. There's the hard launch from standstill, there's the run up through the gears, and all the other extreme driving situations.

But many of these cars spend most of their time puttering around town, commuting in traffic, negotiating parking lots, backing up, etc. Not every drive is a hot lap around the 'ring.

Try the PDK in these situations. Pick an empty parking lot and try creeping the car along at a slow pace that mimics a person walking in the drive ahead of your car. Make a K u-turn. See how smoothly the PDK transmission allows you to change from a forward gear to reverse and how smoothly the car then begins to move in reverse. In this same parking lot play like you're in stop/go traffic. Pull ahead a car length or two then stop or slow down to almost a stop then like in traffic give the engine some throttle. See how slowly you can move the car forward, and how smoothly. If you can, try a hill start or two.

IOWs, try to experience the PDK in the same situations you have experienced the Tip (or manual) over the years and over the miles and see if its performance and behavior is acceptable to you.

The PDK is new technology. The Tip is old but very mature technology. And we've become accustomed to the Tip idiosyncracies to the point they are the norm now. This can make the PDK an uncomfortable choice.

The only way you'll know is if you try it. The PDK might prove to be quite acceptable to you and that's just fine of course. But you want to know before you buy a car equipped with PDK.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 04-19-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typos.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
k_ddsl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Money aside, if you are someone who is not into mods and prefer to keep the car stock, then the 2010 PDK is the right way to go. I've driven both and, to me, the improved PDK in the TT is a big leap forward over the Tip.
If, however, you plan on installing mods, then the answer might be different depending on how aggressive and how quickly you plan to mod.
The 997.1 engine and tip tranny have proven themselves rock solid and extremely modifiable. 997.2 engine is yet to be proven and the PDK has limitations (albeit ones that can be overcome) at around 830NM torque according to Porsche tuner 9ff:
http://9ff.de/en/products/details.ph...=50&relID=3855
Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

PDK. Hold out for as long as you can (but don't go nuts over it) so they have more time to find and treat any nascent PDK bugs.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
lic265
Instructor

I appreciate all the replies.

Am i correct in assuming that turbos will have the PDK in years 2010 and 2011, then the new model comes out in 2012 and no turbo until 2014-2015 ?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 510 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by lic265
I appreciate all the replies.

Am i correct in assuming that turbos will have the PDK in years 2010 and 2011, then the new model comes out in 2012 and no turbo until 2014-2015 ?
That is about what has happened historically. With VAG in charge now, I would not be surprised if the Turbo arrives with less delay as that is part of VAG's revised corporate strategy (think Audi A5/S5 released about the same time). So the Turbo S will be available through 2011 and, it is quite possible, that the 2013 Turbo might be available mid-2012 as a MY 2013 vehicle. Of course, there could be the typical hiatus too.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 2009 with 6 speed and am very happy. But if you need an auto type transmission and you are thinking of daily driving - I would definately get a 2010 with pdk over a 2009 with Tip, it is a better overall application. If you can drive one you will know what you are getting. I have driven a Tip and the PDk (in a Carrerra S) quite a bit and prefer the pdk. Be sure and get the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, versus the buttoms - that set up is ideal for daily driving.

New engine will be proven over time - but unless heavy track use I would not worry about the engine on a new car.

Good luck
Old 05-09-2010, 06:08 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Macster said:
The PDK is new technology
Not really that new. Its been in the works since the 80s' It probably has more development behind
it than the newest TIP. There is NO reason NOT to get the PDK, unless its purely financial.

Yesterday I lined up with a friends 996 TT 500hp supposedly. He is driving my car and a buddy is driving his TT. The C2S PDK got a car length on it from 5-90 mph, then the TT got a half length back
on my PDK from 90-120.
The reason my car got out first is shifting in gears 1-4 it just was SO much quicker than the Manual
TT.
The PDK is an AMAZING piece of technology.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
lic265
Instructor

It's settled. Changed direction after everyone's helpful comments and driving a PDK C2 last week. Will be looking for a PDK turbo soon
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Macster said:

Not really that new. Its been in the works since the 80s' It probably has more development behind
it than the newest TIP. There is NO reason NOT to get the PDK, unless its purely financial.

Yesterday I lined up with a friends 996 TT 500hp supposedly. He is driving my car and a buddy is driving his TT. The C2S PDK got a car length on it from 5-90 mph, then the TT got a half length back
on my PDK from 90-120.
The reason my car got out first is shifting in gears 1-4 it just was SO much quicker than the Manual
TT.
The PDK is an AMAZING piece of technology.
While it is true Porsche developed PDK back in the 80s and tried it in a couple of race cars it is still new technology in that it has no where near the miles or time on it that a Tip transmission does. Porsche shelved the technology for over 20 years.

The Turbo Tip is a very fine transmission. It is sourced from Mercedes and can handle the big horsepower and torque the Porsches develop. "slush box" technology has been worked out and automatics are for the most part reliable, long lived, and well just fine transmissions. They may not have the "involvement" so many like but otherwise deliver outstanding performance, dependable performance.

The PDK is an awesome transmission but needs time -- at least in my opinion -- to make sure it is going to deliver the same performance and longevity the Tip and manual transmissions deliver. They are a known quantity. The PDK is a bit of an unknown.

I've never driven a PDK equipped car but I had an encounter with a Lambo a few months ago that in some way highlighted how advanced the PDK is and how ancient the 6-speed manual is.

We both ended up at a stop light. When the light changed and we both turned left the Lambo driver couldn't help himself and had to show off a bit.

There was not a stop light gran prix going on but the Lambo driver used this opportunity to show off the car some. Heck, I would have too were the situation reversed.

I could hear the Lambo's engine as the driver snapped up through the gears. The shifts were very quick and the car's momentum was hardly interrupted.

Meanwhile in the Turbo and its manual transmission... I thought I was driving a farm tractor. The shifts were ponderously slow and the car's momentum seriously interrupted as I had to be deliberate in the shifting. (My 02 Boxster's 5-speed shifts faster than my Turbo's 6-speed.)

Never has a heretofore acceptable mechanism -- the 6-speed manual transmission -- felt so out-dated, slow, ponderous and just ill-suited for a modern high performance car.

My next car will almost certainly have a PDK transmission (and PCCB brakes) but I'm going to wait while others prove the technology.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: tip vs pdk - conflicted