Factory Delivery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Delivery Questions

Hello,
I'm doing european delivery of my turbo S in early July. This is the first car I've picked up at the factory. Planning on about 9 days in Europe (longest my wife is willing to leave our 6 year old with grandma.) Other than the obvious trip to the ring are there any other must do's. Would love some suggestions from those who have gone before.
Thanks,
Patrick
Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Rocci
Instructor

After the N-Ring, head down to the Black Forest into Switzerland, then through N. Italy, back up through Austria, and then drop the car off in Zuffenhausen for the journey home. That should take you about 9 days. A lot of driving, but that is what you are there for.

Congrats on the Turbo S and enjoy.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 907 Likes on 546 Posts

Last time I picked up a rental at FRA, Avis had 4 nice Porsches, already broken in, waiting to have a bunch of fun km put on them. Nine days at around $4500 for Euro delivery is $500/day. Just another data point.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
Hello,
I'm doing european delivery of my turbo S in early July. This is the first car I've picked up at the factory. Planning on about 9 days in Europe (longest my wife is willing to leave our 6 year old with grandma.) Other than the obvious trip to the ring are there any other must do's. Would love some suggestions from those who have gone before.
Thanks,
Patrick
I know there's always one in a crowd, but wherever you drive, whatever you do, try to budget time for an early oil/filter service.

Enjoy the car and enjoy the trip. It will be I'm sure one to remember.

I'm unlikely I'll buy a new Porsche and take factory delivery but after having been in Europe on business -- which involved a train ride from Zurich up the Rhine valley and on through Germany over to the Netherlands and Rotterdam -- I do plan on taking a week's vacation and flying to Frankfurt and renting a Porsche from Avis and spending some time just driving a rental Porsche around the area. Nothing crazy, no 'ring trips (verboten by rental agreement anyway) and not even any V-max blasts up and down the autobahn but just driving the car enjoying the car on the roads it was initially designed for.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:55 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Do me a favor. Take pics of the Ring when you're there. It would be great if you could rent a video cam and post when you get back. Good luck. Should be a ton of fun. I'm jealous.

Jay
Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Last time I picked up a rental at FRA, Avis had 4 nice Porsches, already broken in, waiting to have a bunch of fun km put on them. Nine days at around $4500 for Euro delivery is $500/day. Just another data point.
So you are saying that renting a Porsche in Europe is $500 a day?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
So you are saying that renting a Porsche in Europe is $500 a day?
No, factory delivery at around $4500 for the 9 days trip planned in the OP = $500/day.

I just checked

http://www.autoeurope.com/car.cfm

and it's $4K for 9 days limited km, so factory $4500 or so is not so bad.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
prg
Pro

Thanks for the input guys. I realize that factory delivery is not fiscally prudent. Unfortunately most of the things in life that i really enjoy are financially painful. Gotta have some fun before they put me in the box though.
Wife wants to see southern germany. I want to go to the bordeaux region. The negotiations have started already
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prg
Gotta have some fun before they put me in the box though.
+997TT.2
Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by prg
Thanks for the input guys. I realize that factory delivery is not fiscally prudent. Unfortunately most of the things in life that i really enjoy are financially painful. Gotta have some fun before they put me in the box though.
Wife wants to see southern germany. I want to go to the bordeaux region. The negotiations have started already
Give the wife a 30 day train pass and a credit card.

Or hit both areas. Not that far between the two regions you have in mind. It is all nice country and made even better being traversed in a new Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by prg
Finacially Painful. Hell I make money to be in finacial pain. How many houses can you buy for the cost of that car?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I did this in 2006 for my Cabriolet. Enjoyed the Alpenstraße in Southern Germany which will take you from Neuschwanstein to Garmisch and then on to Berchesgaden. I also took my car all the way south to Salerno so that I could drive along the coast at Positano and Amalfi. Great stuff with a new Porsche! Remember to get an autobahn pass in Switzerland. They are strict on speed limits on their mountain roads. Avoid the shortcuts and take the mountain passes like Goddard, and Julier (to San Moritz). I also spent some time on Lake Como in Northern Italy.

Check out my article in Feb 08 Porsche Panorama:

http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...roDelivery.pdf

Here's a piece of my run in Bavaria...

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Good to think of the Swiss pass. I forgot about it.

Read a story by an auto mag writer who wrote of coming back from Italy in his Lambo having taken it there for service at the factory. He was not driving too hairy for the area but he noticed a blue/white van behind him for a while. After a bit of this the van pulled in front of his car with "Follow Me" in lights in the rear window.

Because he had no pass he received a big fine and then had to buy the pass. In the past IIRC he reported they'd just make you buy the pass and not fine you. Guess the Lambo made the Swiss Police grumpy or something...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

So what is this about passes in Switzrland? Do they make you buy a pass to drive fast thete; what is going on?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
So what is this about passes in Switzrland? Do they make you buy a pass to drive fast thete; what is going on?
Not a pass to drive fast. You still have to obey the speed laws.

My understanding is you have to buy a pass to use the roads. The pass must be renewed every 12 months. This is true if you're a resident or just a tourist on your way through if you're driving a personal vehicle.

Commerical vehicles have to buy one as well, but the cost is based on miles covered per year on Swiss roads or the weight of the vehicle.

Rental cars in Switzerland already have this pass.

I checked pics I had of some Swiss cars but I don't think I see the pass in the window.

For image and details look here:

http://www.german-way.com/autobahn2.html

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Factory Delivery Questions